Author Topic: Do you cook?  (Read 29165 times)

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
Re: Do you cook?
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
I do think you'll be surprised that this isn't some sort of Orthodox paradise.

I already know that it is not. While I may be ignorant on the exact details and what it feels like entirely, the precise reason I want to come is not because it is an Orthodox paradise, but because it is an Orthodox paradise buried under so much misery and hardship, which, I would like to share in. I do not like the separation between the Orthodox Christians in the west and east, I think that if one of us struggles then the other should too, and if one is happy, then so should the other be happy. I just want to do my part and struggle with my brothers in the east, and hope that some day they can also rejoice in the pleasures of the west.

Out of curiosity what do you plan to be able to offer to Slavic society? 

I imagine the same thing he would offer to his current society. If he is worth having in America, any reason that he shouldn't be worth having in a Slavic country?

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
He's sixteen, and he's telling us all about women.

Oh, great.  :P   >:( :-X ??? ::)

As someone who actually is a woman from America, I'd like to say many possible things at this point, but they have rules on this forum.

I'll stop before I make it worse.

You may wish to evaluate whether the things you would like to say are part of the reason why an increasing number of American men, including me and JamesR, are looking outside our borders when choosing a mate.

Creepy...

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
The women he's been involved with have been kind of abnormal. He can disclose more information if he wishes.

He is right :-( She was horrible. I really loved her, she was my first crush and my best friend, I was always there for her and we have been through a lot, yet, she backstabbed me so many times. One time she wouldn't go places with me in public because she was worried about what her friends would think, and recently she confided in me that she was cutting herself and contemplating suicide, and I told her parents to help her because I cared then she didn't talk to me for like six months. As if this is not enough, she used me to spy on people for her and would make me stay up until 4:00AM hearing her cry to me on the phone and through IM, even though she was backstabbing me and would ignore me whenever I had a problem. I did so much for her and she took so much advantage of me and treated me so badly :(

James, have you ever considered learning game? If so, shoot me a PM and I can send you a few links. I have seen cases such as yours many times before.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
James, ONE bad relationship doesn't give you the right to go off on misogynist rants about American women.  Carrying such hatred does real psychological harm to you.  How do you think you can have normal relationships with American women (and I mean just colleagues, general people) if you harbor such feelings?  It's not healthy.  Forgive and get on with life.  There are therapeutic things to help - spend an evening splitting a bottle of vodka with a good friend and talking it out.  In your case that wouldn't be appropriate, but you can find some sort of substitute - running, music, etc.  After you get everything out, get on with life.  BTW - as someone who knows both American and Ukrainian culture, the dating / relationship scene in America is child's play compared to Ukraine.  Prepare to get eaten alive.

I did not see that James wrote anything that is in the slightest sense misogynistic. Neither have I seen him display hatred for anyone.

I agree that James is in no shape to enter any dating market. He is too prone to put women on a pedestal in a lesser beta/omega fashion. He needs to learn some game. Also, a job and education would be nice. James, I do not recommend you look for a wife at age 16.

I know you don't mean to sound offensive, but really you want to help "us" by playing your guitar and giving us money.  You do realize that is insulting, right?  I've seen so many cases of idealistic Americans who can't even feed themselves or do the most basic social functions go abroad to help the poor natives.  It is insulting. 

I am sorry that you are insulted, but with a per capita GDP of $7,200, you are ranked #113 in the world. The US is ranked #11 at $48,100. Last year, Ukraine received $124 million of yummy foreign aid from the US. So, I think the words you are looking for are "thank you".

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »

As someone who actually is a woman from America, I'd like to say many possible things at this point, but they have rules on this forum.

You may wish to evaluate whether the things you would like to say are part of the reason why an increasing number of American men, including me and JamesR, are looking outside our borders when choosing a mate.

Creepy...

How rare to see a man use the word "creepy". This is usually a term used by women to mean "sexually undesirable man".

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
I am sorry that you are insulted, but with a per capita GDP of $7,200, you are ranked #113 in the world. The US is ranked #11 at $48,100. Last year, Ukraine received $124 million of yummy foreign aid from the US. So, I think the words you are looking for are "thank you".

Which is irrelevant.  What can an individual American with no actual skills do in a place like Ukraine or Russia - nothing.  As others have mentioned, trained and talented English teachers are in critical demand.  I'd say most other long term ex-pats here are involved in mining or the oil / gas industry.  Those involved with business tend to be here as part of an internal transfer within a multinational corporation. 

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »

Which is irrelevant.  What can an individual American with no actual skills do in a place like Ukraine or Russia - nothing.  As others have mentioned, trained and talented English teachers are in critical demand.  I'd say most other long term ex-pats here are involved in mining or the oil / gas industry.  Those involved with business tend to be here as part of an internal transfer within a multinational corporation. 

It is very relevant to your claim of feeling "insulted" by people "giving us money". Your feeling insulted in rooted in pride. Your irrelevant feelings aside, I pay taxes so you can get money. I would prefer that you say "thank you" instead of rant about how insulted you feel.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »

It is very relevant to your claim of feeling "insulted" by people "giving us money". Your feeling insulted in rooted in pride. Your irrelevant feelings aside, I pay taxes so you can get money. I would prefer that you say "thank you" instead of rant about how insulted you feel.

But the goal of USAID, Peace Corps and other such programs isn't to just give money.  The goal is to promote things like rule of law, train people in necessary professions or provide infrastructure.   That's very different than "oh you poor pathetic people, I'm a completely unskilled person but I feel bad for you and want to help". 

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »

But the goal of USAID, Peace Corps and other such programs isn't to just give money.  The goal is to promote things like rule of law, train people in necessary professions or provide infrastructure.   That's very different than "oh you poor pathetic people, I'm a completely unskilled person but I feel bad for you and want to help". 

That is a fair point. As I said in a previous post, at age 16, James is not in a position to be of use to any society or to any person as a mate. I have recommended that he get an education and acquire skills. Having lived abroad for some years, I am all too familiar with the buffoonish English teacher who arrives and acts poorly in the host country.

That having been said, I never got the impression that James was planning to get on a plane today or even next year. I read his comments as speaking to his long term plans for marriage, not what he has on his calendar for next Thursday.

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
I have read there is a group or organization in Chicago that sends out professional teachers for a month in the summer to Ukraine to teach English to university students.  I met one woman who has done it for 2 summers.  In addition to just teaching the language in their interaction with students and sessions outside of language classes they try to teach values and engage in discussions too.  It is done on a volunteer basis with no pay and the teachers are boarded with a family if placed in a city or in a tent or cabin if out in the country at a camp.
All your comments have been valid.  It is difficult to go to Russia or Ukraine to work.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »
As others have mentioned, trained and talented English teachers are in critical demand.  I'd say most other long term ex-pats here are involved in mining or the oil / gas industry.  Those involved with business tend to be here as part of an internal transfer within a multinational corporation. 

What more can you tell me about the mining or the oil/gas industry? Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I was reading that there is a high demand in many former Soviet countries for better public transportation. Is there a job market for this in demand? Perhaps like helping design infrastructure and more affective transportation methods? Could an American with a degree in architecture offer anything to Ukraine, Russia or one of the former Soviet countries?

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
To my shame, I just now realized that I miss reading the posts of Presvitera Mari, or Greek Chef, was the original poster for this thread. I pray that she is doing just fine.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »

WHAT?

ARE YOU GUYS FOR REAL?

Biro, for God's sake, unsubscribe.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:16:11 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

WHAT?

ARE YOU GUYS FOR REAL?

I have been married to my beautiful young Japanese wife for almost 11 years.  ;D

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
For someone with all these notions of how women should act, you sure don't know how to speak to one with any respect.

I think you owe biro an apology.
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
For someone with all these notions of how women should act, you sure don't know how to speak to one with any respect.

I think you owe biro an apology.

What did I or anyone else say that was disrespectful to biro?

By the way, women do not respect the white knight behavior you are currently displaying.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
It just gets creepier and creepier.  

Offline Sauron

• High Elder

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40384.msg718095.html#msg718095

Not according to OED.   

Those nerds at Oxford aren't going to talk straight to you like I am. I am giving you pearls here. Take screenshots for posterity.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40384.msg718095.html#msg718095

Not according to OED.   

Those nerds at Oxford aren't going to talk straight to you like I am. I am giving you pearls here. Take screenshots for posterity.

And why do you presume to teach me? Even from less formal sources such as urbandictionary, the standard definition of creepy is more in line with my usage than yours. 

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

Indeed.  Married to the same woman for 11 years?  What an oddball.  I hope I never have daughters and they end up with someone like that.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »

Not according to OED.   

And why do you presume to teach me? Even from less formal sources such as urbandictionary, the standard definition of creepy is more in line with my usage than yours. 

Why do you presume you have nothing to learn? I am trying to rescue you from mistaken white knight thinking. Listen to me and your marriage will get even better, I guarantee it. *thumbs up*

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »

Not according to OED.   

Why do you presume you have nothing to learn? I am trying to rescue you from mistaken white knight thinking. Listen to me and your marriage will get even better, I guarantee it. *thumbs up*

Huh.  White knight?  Thinking something is weird makes me a white knight...ok. 

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

WHAT?

ARE YOU GUYS FOR REAL?

Do you disagree with his point or just the manner in which it was given? 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
By the way, women do not respect the white knight behavior you are currently displaying.
LOL.

You aren't Orthonorm.

I know.

Do you disagree with his point or just the manner in which it was given?  
That biro represents why you need to flee the debauchery of Fourth Rome and fly to the Old World to track down some pure Eastern Euro bride?

I believe one's sensibilities should exceed that of the basic plot of Stargate and Pocahontas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:41:06 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:55:20 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »
James, have you ever considered learning game? If so, shoot me a PM and I can send you a few links. I have seen cases such as yours many times before.

I agree that James is in no shape to enter any dating market. He is too prone to put women on a pedestal in a lesser beta/omega fashion. He needs to learn some game.

LOL.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:23:35 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
I swear you can never know what a woman wants. If you are kind, polite and traditional then she sees you as a push-over, friendzones you or thinks you are obnoxious and chauvenistic. Yet, when you are more laid back with swag like my mate Sauron, they think you are an obnoxious, player pig.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:56:07 PM by JamesR »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
I swear you can never know what a woman wants. If you are kind, polite and traditional then she sees you as a push-over, friendzones you or thinks you are obnoxious and chauvenistic. Yet, when you are more laid back with swag like my mate Sauron, they think you are an obnoxious, player pig.
James, dude...

Listen.

You're in High School.

Relax.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:39:16 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »

JamesR, stick with me and you will go far. I did get your PM, but today has been crazy. I will respond to it shortly.

NicholasM needs to state his current relationship status. Although, I can make a good guess based on the comic he posted. I suspect he has a lovely girlfriend...in Canada.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
Sauron: The Catholic Mark Driscoll.   :D

James, don't listen to this chump.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:49:10 PM by NicholasMyra »

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »

For real?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
LIFE EXPERIENCES START AND END AT HIGH SCHOOL
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »

For real?

For real. This one is for the "nice guys". They can stop me when it starts to sound familiar...

"_____, you are a really nice guy and a great friend, and I just know you are going to make some very lucky girl so happy one day..."

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
Sauron: The Catholic Mark Driscoll.   :D

James, don't listen to this chump.

NickM, you either don't understand what I am talknig about, or what Mark Driscoll is all about, if you think this is the case.

Let me be quite clear: I think that Mark Driscoll is horrible. He is a white knight beta who puts it on a pedestal if you know what I mean.

What is your relationship status?

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »

For real?

For real. This one is for the "nice guys". They can stop me when it starts to sound familiar...

"_____, you are a really nice guy and a great friend, and I just know you are going to make some very lucky girl so happy one day..."

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or trying to give real relationship advice.

estoy confuso
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »

For real?

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or trying to give real relationship advice.

estoy confuso

That is part of the technique. Stick with this thread and you will be going places, my friend!

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
  • Faith: I dunno, Lutheran???
  • Jurisdiction: People's Republic of Memphis
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »
LIFE EXPERIENCES START AND END AT HIGH SCHOOL
As a high schooler, I've always assumed that's true but dearly hoped it isn't.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:24 AM »

For real?

estoy confuso
I like to think he's only pretending to incarnate every self help book written to get socially-disordered people laid.

The fact that he's doing so on an Orthodox Christian message board only adds to the hilarity and confusion.

Often they ain't far from the truth on both counts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:40:36 AM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2012, 01:50:50 AM »
Our beloved emperor orthonorm has better relationship advice, and I normally don't listen to relationship advice.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »

For real?

estoy confuso
I like to think he's only pretending to incarnate every self help book written to get socially-disordered people laid.

The fact that he's doing so on an Orthodox Christian message board only adds to the hilarity and confusion.

I think Orthodox Christians want to get (and stay) married, too.

I think you are a really nice guy and a good friend. You are going to make some lucky girl very happy someday.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

For real?

estoy confuso

I think you are a really nice guy and a good friend. You are going to make some lucky girl very happy someday.

Oh, what, I'm not good enough for you to try out your moves on me?

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

For real?

estoy confuso

bow-chicka-wow-wow.....

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »

For real?

estoy confuso

He already said he was married.  You should be ashamed going after a married man.

Me, on the other hand...

What are you doing this weekend?  If you're not busy perhaps we could catch a Vespers or something.   :-*