OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:52:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you cook?  (Read 13141 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »

Post your pics. Or ask for recipes. Whatever floats.

Fried chicken using an egg wash/flower coating:

Sauteed Veggies:

Rib-eye's, in a brown sugar marinade.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »

Yes, I cook  Smiley  Here's what's currently in my cupboard...

Large Marge sent me...
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »

Yes.  About three times per day.  This was breakfast on Saturday.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »

No.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »

Yep from "real ingredients" and bake too.  (or are we differentiating between different kinds of cooking?)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »

I'm a one-pot kinda gal. Helps with my CFS and lack of time to cook.

I tend to cook pancit (Filipino noodle dish), lots of stir-fry, teriyaki, tempura. I eat white rice with almost every meal....(trying to put the kibosh on that!).

But like our dear friend *, I dearly love a good Ramen noodle when it is W/F and I am working. I cook them until they are nearly transparent and there's little to no liquid left in the pan. SO sticky and delicious. I can't believe I ate them any other way before.

I just started learning how to cook a few years ago, though, since it was a (very mean) running joke in my family that I should never have children or a household. Another story for another day. But at least I am learning now! Just moving past the basics...

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »

-3 for no weapons included in picture.

For me?  All day, every day.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »

LOL Bovril, seriously?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »

Cooking is my relaxation. I learned to cook when I was kid - spent much of my childhood in Europe, loved sampling different cuisines. I lean towards vegetarian/vegan cooking these days (thanks to the Church I've learned to like my veggies); but I hold a black belt in BBQ, so meat is hard to give up. Attached picture is of some vegan "ribz" I fixed on a fast day.

"Who touches, is also touched"
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »

I like Vietnamese chicken salad.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 01:38:38 AM »

I love to cook.  Not much baking though.  Next time I cook something I should post a pic.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »

Orange Chicken with brown rice.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:11:28 AM »

As little as possible.

I am an appreciative and grateful consumer of other peoples' efforts, however. And I'll even clean up your kitchen and wash your dishes!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »

As little as possible.

I am an appreciative and grateful consumer of other peoples' efforts, however. And I'll even clean up your kitchen and wash your dishes!

Really?  If I have fun cooking you will clean up after it?  When are we having dinner?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:49:37 AM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

I like to cook! However, my wife does not like it when I cook. She thinks I am leaving too much mess after my cooking exercises, and the result is not too good anyway. Sad

On the other hand, Lesya (my wife) is a genius in cooking. She makes our glorious Ukrainian dishes like:

Borshch

holubtsi

varenyky

as well as a variety of non-Ukrainian dishes like lasagna, steak, tuna salad etc.

Love never fails.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »

Heorhij,

Why are you committing culinary heresy by putting sour cream on your holubtsi?! This is outrage!

The only appropriate topping for halubtsi is catsup. Wink

To the OP,

I love to cook. This weekend I made an old family recipe of pork ribs and sauerkraut with a traditional German apple crumb cake for dessert. I absolutely love this dish, as this pork gets so tender that the meat literally falls off the bone, and the sauerkraut gets sweet from the meat fat, so it doesn't have the bitter taste most people associate with sauerkraut. I don't know if the recipe is Ukrainian, Polish, or German, but it's something that both my Grandmothers and my mother always made this time of year.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:29:25 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

I was a chef's apprentice for quite some time. I'll put up some stuff as I make it Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

As little as possible.

That was actually the deal my wife and I had. Her level of culinary experience was somewhere around "I'll burn the kitchen down if you leave me alone in there"; and I hated doing dishes. So we each took what the other couldn't do or hated (and no, I didn't just make ramen noodles Grin )
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:37:37 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »

Yes, I cook  Smiley  Here's what's currently in my cupboard...

I think I just exceeded my sodium intake for the month viewing this picture. Wink

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

Green beans for breakfast???

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »

Heorhij, I would LOVE to try some of Lesya's varenyky someday! They look much better than mine.

And for your info, Handmaiden, in Ukraine they mixed BOTH mayo and ketchup on top of the holubtsi. ICK! I was both in awe and disgust of them putting those two condiments on everything, and I really love ketchup.

I'll see if I can remember to take a picture. I'm an epic beginner, so maybe it will inspire other non-cooks to start cooking. We all start somewhere!

Tonight I'm planning pan-fried flounder rolled in panko crumbs, garlic-fried zucchini, with leftover white rice.

A few weeks ago I had inspiration for a W/F meal: my faux mushroom risotto layered on top of mashed pinto beans in a green pepper, broiled. The risotto texture might be a bit messy, but I want the peppers to be cooked rather than raw. I'll tweak the recipe. Mr. Ismi has been badgering to make it for weeks, but something kept coming up. Either that or we finished all of our peppers before W or F. But I intend to make it this week!

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »

I think I just exceeded my sodium intake for the month viewing this picture. Wink

Cheesy  One package (not serving) of each is:

Maruchan Ramen Noodles - 1580mg sodium
Nissin Bowl Noodles - 1700mg sodium
Lipton Extra Noodle soup - 2010mg sodium

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »

Parmesan Crusted stuffed chicken. Stuffed with tomato, spinach, prociutto, ramano, parmesan and mozzarella cheese.

Plated:

Asparagus with feta.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »

-3 for no weapons included in picture.

I will do better next time.   Wink

Green beans for breakfast???

It is actually kai-lan (Chinese broccoli).  Sauted in bacon fat with onion and bell pepper.  I am a fan of almost any green vegetable with my eggs though.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »

Here is the start of my last batch of gravlax.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

Supper for tonight:

Large Marge sent me...
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »

Some other things Lesya makes very well.

Turkey legs:

Smoked salmon:

Pork ribs:

Anything "egg-based":

Love never fails.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »

The only thing I don't cook is offal, including liver. Vile stuff. Ugh!!!  Tongue Tongue Tongue
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »

The only thing I don't cook is offal, including liver. Vile stuff. Ugh!!!  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Offal is nutrient dense though.  It is worth eating.  Try adding some ground liver to recipes that use ground meat.  You probably won't even notice it, or if you do, you will get used to it quickly.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »

I can't cook too many things. A decent baked fish, maybe.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »

Achronos, I bow down to your dinner. I could probably only eat half of that and then I have to run a mile afterwards.

--
--
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »

Offal is nutrient dense though.  It is worth eating.  Try adding some ground liver to recipes that use ground meat.  You probably won't even notice it, or if you do, you will get used to it quickly.

No thanks. I can't even stand liver pate, which is full of all sorts of things, none of which completely obliterate the liver taste. And kidneys taste like pee.  Tongue
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »

No thanks. I can't even stand liver pate, which is full of all sorts of things, none of which completely obliterate the liver taste. And kidneys taste like pee.  Tongue

Good.  Hold firm.  Us decent folks leave the eating of gizmos and blood to those Germans.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »

Liver pate is mostly liver (along with eggs and cream).  I'm not talking about substituting 1 lb of liver for 1 lb of ground beef.  I'm talking about adding 1-2 oz of liver to 1 lb of ground beef.  But I don't like bananas so to each his own.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

My wife works late and also has grad school so I'm usually cooking our meals (though she's a better cook than I). Until recently soups have been my specialty- I've been branching out to other things. As long as a recipe has easy directions I can make it. A lot of my meals come from the cookbooks published by Food and Wine which have many easy and delicious recipes- I've been using the soups and salads book and the Italian book a lot. There is also a one-pot book which I haven't tried yet. But I would definitely recommend these books to beginning cooks, you're bound to impress someone if you try them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:45:31 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »

For starting out cooks, Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book and the volumes that came are very good and have easy to follow good recipes.  I've found out that the Complete I Hate to Cook Book combines three of her books and can be gotten used very cheaply.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:53:28 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »

For starting out cooks, Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book and the volumes that came are very good and have easy to follow good recipes.  I've found out that the Complete I Hate to Cook Book combines three of her books and can be gotten used very cheaply.

Wow, thank you!  I might have to pick her book up!  I cook out of a box and am getting tired of it. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

It's probably better than A Man, A Can, and a Plan, which is deceptive.   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »

perfect... except the bread-err beer.

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »

yes, I am the family cook. 

I'm currently making Turtle Cake for a gathering tomorrow.  Friends will eat it and I'll decline since I don't eat wheat.  I made myself some coconut cake w/ orange flavoring.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

It's probably better than A Man, A Can, and a Plan, which is deceptive.   

I looked that one up. Oog. 

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Wow, thank you!  I might have to pick her book up!  I cook out of a box and am getting tired of it. 

You're very welcome.  She wrote the first one in the early 60s and others followed.  She wrote very well and in a very entertaining way and made things simple.  She even included in some recipes a "Stop Here" in case you are preparing things ahead of time (when you have the time) so that you can store it and finish it when you want to have a hot meal.

I've recommended them to people starting out on their own for a long time.  In the "Appendix" volume there's a chapter on cooking for just one person, too.

Ebor

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »

perfect... except the bread-err beer.

Don't hate.  Wink
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »

I like to cook. When I was working at the Ohio West Virginia YMCA, I made cookies and cakes and rolls, whole wheat and delicious Smiley Every Friday we had fried chicken. The cook's daughter came in often to make the chicken and it was wonderful. She would grab random spices and mix them together...the chicken was always tender and juicy and spicy Cheesy I miss it so much!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »

I'm sorry I have no picture, but I discovered a can of coconut milk in the fridge today and decided, on a whim, to cook chicken gata (a Filipino dish). It's chicken cooked and simmered in a mixture of garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and coconut milk.

Mr. Ismi kept giving me weird looks the entire time I was cooking it, thinking that the mixture was not going to taste good.

Here is the recipe I used:
http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/adobong-manok-sa-gata-coconut-milk-chicken-adobo

It's actually quite basic, but my mother never added the extra things and my extended family doesn't either.  Must have been a regional thing -- I never ate it with chili peppers or any additional seasoning, besides a teaspoonful of patis (fish sauce), which I quite dislike.

Anyway, he ended up eating three heaping bowls and I'm ashamed to say, I licked the spatula before washing the dishes. It sounds weird, soy sauce, vinegar, and coconut milk, but the resulting sauce is amazing. I used to sneak down to the kitchen around midnight and eat the sauce over rice.

It tasted JUST like my mother's, and I consider that a victory, because she is an amazing cook. Now, if my sinigang could taste remotely close to hers, I'd be set...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:12:56 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: