OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:49:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Hispanics Choose Churches Outside Catholicism  (Read 266 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »

The Rev. Wilfredo de Jesus is leading the movement to give a little color to the mostly white Pentecostal faith. He says — and statistics bear him out — that Latinos are saving American Christianity.

"No doubt, every denomination would have decreased in membership," he says, "if it had not been for Hispanic growth, including our fellowship, the Assemblies of God."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The Rev. Wilfredo de Jesus is leading the movement to give a little color to the mostly white Pentecostal faith. He says — and statistics bear him out — that Latinos are saving American Christianity.

"No doubt, every denomination would have decreased in membership," he says, "if it had not been for Hispanic growth, including our fellowship, the Assemblies of God."

While I will admit that Evangelical and Pentecostal movements are on the rise in the Latino and Chicano communities in the US, at its core, many of these folks are still fundamentally Catholic.  This really just seems like the crashing wave of a 1990s trend finally fading away. There is also a quarky phenomenon I've seen where folks attend both the Pentecostal churches and also Catholic Mass, however this is determined by how anti-Catholic the Pentecostal church they attend is.  Particularly  "charismatic" Pentecostalism is on the rise today in these communities, however Catholicism remains strong, and if folks here in the US haven't noticed, the Catholic Church itself in America has been steadily on the rise as well.  She has become very mainstream even, folks can be actively Catholic without receiving half of the backlash from either American Christians (who have generally been anti-Catholic) and non-believers (who are more suspicious of the well-organized and historical nemesis of the Church).  This has been a remarkable transition, and now whenever I am speaking with folks about the Church (Orthodox or Catholic) many more are quite receptive to the concept of a Sacramental Life.  So I'm not very worried about any Evangelicals or Pentecostals, the Grace inherent in the Mysteries is working this out for us.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: