OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attending Mass...  (Read 2821 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: October 16, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »

What should I do when I attend mass with my girlfriend? Last few times I have just sat there patiently. Is that the right thing to do, considering they are "outside of The Church"?

Forgive my sins.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »

Why did you go?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »

Why did you go?

Because she's my girlfriend and Im slowly working on her conversion...

Forgive my sins.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »

I'm not a fan of that kind of churching and I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

I think many people would almost be more understanding of someone being non-religious and not going, as opposed to not going because you think Orthodoxy is superior or the real Church or whatever. You know best how she'd respond, but consider whether you might poison the waters by taking a hard or rigid stance. Also, it's not like you've been Orthodox and confessing and communing and such for a decade and suddenly have this situation come upon you... I think you have more flexibility with how you can respond here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »

Why did you go?

Let God convert her.  If that is His plan for her.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »

Why did you go?

You going to her church isn't going to convinve her of the truth of yours.

That being said, don't commune, don't say the filioque when reciting the creed, be respectful.

Just my opinion.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »

Why did you go?

You going to her church isn't going to convinve her of the truth of yours.

That being said, don't commune, don't say the filioque when reciting the creed, be respectful.

Just my opinion.

I follow those guidelines.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:50:34 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »

I dont see a problem with going, but Im also not Orthodox yet.  I attended a "contemporary mass" tonight because I play guitar for them when they need me.  I obviously cant commune and I dont say the filioque.  Other than that, its a different, yet pleasant service for me.  I really love the people there. 

Yea, just be respectful.  I would imagine it wouldnt be good to just not go and to say things like your church is superior...  It may be, but saying things like that might eventually leave you without a girlfriend!!  Grin

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:51:10 PM »

Ask your priest.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:25 PM »

Yes, just sit there patiently, that's what I did when I was in your circumstances. (Sometimes I'd pick up a book from the pew and read it--it's interesting what they say in the missal about Orthodox Christians.)  But, why don't you see if she'll attend the Divine Liturgy with you periodically?  (My brother is happily married to a Roman Catholic, they rotate which church they attend weekly, pretty much.)

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:31:38 AM »

There isn't any coherent guidelines besides just sitting without praying or doing anything else. I attended confessional Lutheran mass yesterday and tried to follow "no communion and no Filioque" guideline. Everything went fine until Our Father which I found myself being unable to pray with them.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:33:43 AM by Alpo » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:19 AM »

(My brother is happily married to a Roman Catholic, they rotate which church they attend weekly, pretty much.)

And a mosque also...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

(My brother is happily married to a Roman Catholic, they rotate which church they attend weekly, pretty much.)

And a mosque also...

Huh Huh

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 11:55:06 AM »

The least harmful thing that can happen to the children from the marriage Basil 320 mentioned is that they can start thinking that both Churches are 'the same' or 'equal' because mummy and pappy are members of both. The worse is that they can start to treat faith as something unimportant and windy because their parents do not want to decide what they believe.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »

The least harmful thing that can happen to the children from the marriage Basil 320 mentioned is that they can start thinking that both Churches are 'the same' or 'equal' because mummy and pappy are members of both. The worse is that they can start to treat faith as something unimportant and windy because their parents do not want to decide what they believe.

Or they might grow up to learn to respect different religions and cultures, and realise that they must choose for themselves what they believe rather than having their parents force a certain set of beliefs on them.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »

* I don't recite the creed or pray with them at all, of course. Just wanted to point that out.

Forgive my sins.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

Ya know it's real easy to sit back and make judgments when it's not your life.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »

Did you read my second post? Maybe you should.

Im slowly working on her conversion

I have decided what I believe, I'm just not going to be a jerk, I'm going to help her find the path to Orthodoxy over time, you can't expect her to convert immediately.

Forgive my sins.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »

I have decided what I believe, I'm just not going to be a jerk, I'm going to help her find the path to Orthodoxy over time, you can't expect her to convert immediately.

If your goal is to avoid being a jerk (and you seem like a nice guy), I would not "expect" your girlfriend to convert at all. Share with her your faith, live your life in accordance with your faith, and let God do the rest.

To continue in the relationship with the expectation that someday she will abandon her Catholic beliefs in favor of Orthodoxy is not only unfair, it is wrong. It is dismissive of the depth of her belief, and it also belittles her faith.

If you are uncomfortable dating someone who may remain Catholic for the rest of her life (and therefore, the tenure of your relationship), I would suggest breaking off the relationship now.

FWIW, I'm currently in a relationship with an agnostic. I accept his beliefs, he accepts mine. Although he attends Liturgy with me, I hold no expectation of him converting. That is between him and God. So I do know where you are coming from.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:34:54 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »

If your goal is to avoid being a jerk (and you seem like a nice guy), I would not "expect" your girlfriend to convert at all. Share with her your faith, live your life in accordance with your faith, and let God do the rest.

To continue in the relationship with the expectation that someday she will abandon her Catholic beliefs in favor of Orthodoxy is not only unfair, it is wrong. It is dismissive of the depth of her belief, and it also belittles her faith.

If you are uncomfortable dating someone who may remain Catholic for the rest of her life (and therefore, the tenure of your relationship), I would suggest breaking off the relationship now.

FWIW, I'm currently in a relationship with an agnostic. I accept his beliefs, he accepts mine. Although he attends Liturgy with me, I hold no expectation of him converting. That is between him and God. So I do know where you are coming from.

You kind of took what I said out of context.  Wink

I dont expect on her to convert, but I expect on her to learn about Orthodoxy, so she can atleast make an educated decision about it. No, I wouldn't leave her if she stayed RC, that'd be pretty shallow, but I atleast want to introduce it to her so she atleast knows what it is.

See. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:42:00 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

You kind of took what I said out of context.  Wink

I dont expect on her to convert, but I expect on her to learn about Orthodoxy, so she can atleast make an educated decision about it. No, I wouldn't leave her if she stayed RC, that'd be pretty shallow, but I atleast want to introduce it to her so she atleast knows what it is.

See. Smiley

You wrote, "...Im slowly working on her conversion..."  Pretty easy to infer an expectation there.  And to "expect" her to learn about Orthodoxy....really??  Hope it's not one of those, "If you **really** love me..." things!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »

Or worse.

A friend of mine converted from Roman Catholicism and was a member of the OCA. Although her children were baptized Orthodox Christians, and attended the OCA Sunday school, they also attended a sedevacante Catholic Church during the week where her son served as an altar boy. He was also an altar server in the OCA. Talk about confusing a cute little boy.

So one day at the OCA Sunday school, her five-year old son responded: I am Orthodox Christian and Roman Catholic.
The little kindergarten boys responded, "You cannot be both Catholic and Orthodox."
The little five-year son replied, "Oh, yes I can. In fact, I receive Holy Communion in both churches.
The little kindergarten boys shouted, "You heretic," and then proceeded to beat up the little boy.

The mother pulled her children out of the Sunday School and the OCA, and immediately joined the sedevacante Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:47:21 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »

Or worse.

A friend of mine converted from Roman Catholicism and was a member of the OCA. Although her children were baptized Orthodox Christians, and attended the OCA Sunday school, they also attended a sedevacante Catholic Church during the week where her son served as an altar boy. He was also an altar server in the OCA. Talk about confusing a cute little boy.

So one day at the OCA Sunday school, her five-year old son responded: I am Orthodox Christian and Roman Catholic.
The little kindergarten boys responded, "You cannot be both Catholic and Orthodox."
The little five-year son replied, "Oh, yes I can. In fact, I receive Holy Communion in both churches.
The little kindergarten boys shouted, "You heretic," and then proceeded to beat up the little boy.

The mother pulled her children out of the Sunday School and the OCA, and immediately joined the sedevacante Catholic Church.

Your anecdote says more about the adults involved than it does the practice of participating in two different groups.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

Or worse.

Even worse, yet, she could have taken him to a mosque!

And I would heartily second Asteriktos' post above.  Looks like the Orthodox kindergarten teaching about Christian love was somewhat lacking, too  Grin.  Well, it *was* kindergarten, and boys *do* like to beat each other up  Grin.  I'm sure they had no real clue at all what they were talking about and, hey, a fight's a fight, especially when you're all of 5.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »

I think you're doing fine, Celticfan. To me, you've demonstrated that you're convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy, the exclusion of all others. At the same time, you care for this girl and want to have a relationship. It sounds like you'd like for her to convert, but have serious doubts about that possibility. I think all of that is healthy.

Of course, the best circumstance is for Orthodox to marry Orthodox. This is most highly prized. Of course, in our times (and especially location, here in the west) that's quite difficult. We don't have a big pool of Orthodox people to pull from for romantic relationships. While it saddens me, we sometimes may have to marry Roman Catholics, or perhaps even a sacramental, confessional Protestant (such as a high-church Lutheran or Anglo-Catholic). Not ideal. Not ideal at all. C'est la vie. As long as both parties are respectful of each other's faith (and we're not out marrying JWs, Mormons, agnostic/atheists...or even Evangelicals or Presbyterians/Reformed Christians), it is possible.

Though, the concerns of raising a child in a split-faith household are very real. The Orthodox Church demands they be raised Orthodox. The Roman Catholics that they be raised Catholic. What do you do with that? Of course, the obvious answer you're going to hear from an Orthodox Christian is...raise the kid Orthodox! This is best, though might be hard. It's definitely something to talk about with your significant other when/if the relationship develops to such a level that marriage is a serious consideration. We should strive greatly to raise our children in the True Faith.

However, I think one thing should be said. Must be said. It's already been demonstrated here. DO NOT raise the kid in both faiths. It does lead to confusion (and yes, to heresy). The kid might end up in one of them, or might equate them together, or end up something else entirely (or nothing at all). Besides, raising a child to be both Orthodox and Roman Catholic is being unfaithful to both of those churches, which do not teach such equality. By encouraging such thought, both parents would be betraying their respective faiths.

Best wishes to you in this difficult circumstance. May God give you wisdom!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

You wrote, "...Im slowly working on her conversion..."  Pretty easy to infer an expectation there.  And to "expect" her to learn about Orthodoxy....really??  Hope it's not one of those, "If you **really** love me..." things!

Man, you obviously dont know me. Wink

Yes, expect her to learn, as in experience it. Step 1) Bring her to Vespers, which she enjoyed, Step 2) Liturgy, Step 3) Church Fathers, etc etc. I'd still be with her if she became RC dude, I just want to introduce it to her, so atleat she can make an informed decision.

It isn't love if you say that. But if you love someone, you'd want to introduce them to The Truth.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:03:20 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

Or they might grow up to learn to respect different religions and cultures, and realise that they must choose for themselves what they believe rather than having their parents force a certain set of beliefs on them.

LOL.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »

[/u]I think you're doing fine, Celticfan. To me, you've demonstrated that you're convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy, the exclusion of all others. At the same time, you care for this girl and want to have a relationship. It sounds like you'd like for her to convert, but have serious doubts about that possibility. I think all of that is healthy.

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say.  Smiley

Though, the concerns of raising a child in a split-faith household are very real. The Orthodox Church demands they be raised Orthodox. The Roman Catholics that they be raised Catholic. What do you do with that? Of course, the obvious answer you're going to hear from an Orthodox Christian is...raise the kid Orthodox! This is best, though might be hard. It's definitely something to talk about with your significant other when/if the relationship develops to such a level that marriage is a serious consideration. We should strive greatly to raise our children in the True Faith.

Believe it or not, I've already brought that up, and I told her I'd want my children to be baptized and raised in The Church.

Best wishes to you in this difficult circumstance. May God give you wisdom!

Thank you friend!

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »

LOL.

Such an idea must seem strange to many here...
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »

You wrote, "...Im slowly working on her conversion..."  Pretty easy to infer an expectation there.  And to "expect" her to learn about Orthodoxy....really??  Hope it's not one of those, "If you **really** love me..." things!

Man, you obviously dont know me. Wink

Yes, expect her to learn, as in experience it. Step 1) Bring her to Vespers, which she enjoyed, Step 2) Liturgy, Step 3) Church Fathers, etc etc. I'd still be with her if she became RC dude, I just want to introduce it to her, so atleat she can make an informed decision.

It isn't love if you say that. But if you love someone, you'd want to introduce them to The Truth.

You're right, I don't know you.  Don't even know your name, and I'm pretty sure it's not celticfan1888!  Heck, I can't tell if that's a first name or a last name  Grin.  And please, do not call me "dude"--I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather  Sad.

It'd be interesting, to say the least, if she "expected" of you what you "expect" of her!  Remember, as far as Catholics are concerned, the Catholic Church is The Church with all the fullness of The Truth!

I got the impression that she already is Roman Catholic, but you write above "if she became RC".  Could you clarify?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:23:03 PM by J Michael » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Such an idea must seem strange to many here...

I see your Dawkins this week. Hard to keep up with all of the paradigm swaps. I'll hope for a more pious Asteriktos next week.

Anyway my flippity-floppity-flip-flopper, you can't escape inculcating values in children. You're simply imposing the current cultural attitude towards religion upon them, namely that they are all are on equal ontological footing and that it is a matter of choice as to which one that a person picks. If parents disagree with this, then I suppose they are the brainwashers, even though other parents are doing the exact same thing in the other direction.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

You're right, I don't know you.  Don't even know your name, and I'm pretty sure it's not celticfan1888!  Heck, I can't tell if that's a first name or a last name  Grin.  And please, do not call me "dude"--I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather  Sad.

It'd be interesting, to say the least, if she "expected" of you what you "expect" of her!  Remember, as far as Catholics are concerned, the Catholic Church is The Church with all the fullness of The Truth!

I got the impression that she already is Roman Catholic, but you write above "if she became RC".  Could you clarify?

Sorry...mate?

She IS a Roman Catholic, I made a typo. But she isnt what I call, dogmatic.

BTW, name's Daniel Mikaelson, nice to meet you. ;P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:27:24 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »

You're right, I don't know you.  Don't even know your name, and I'm pretty sure it's not celticfan1888!  Heck, I can't tell if that's a first name or a last name  Grin.  And please, do not call me "dude"--I'm probably old enough to be your grandfather  Sad.

It'd be interesting, to say the least, if she "expected" of you what you "expect" of her!  Remember, as far as Catholics are concerned, the Catholic Church is The Church with all the fullness of The Truth!

I got the impression that she already is Roman Catholic, but you write above "if she became RC".  Could you clarify?

Sorry...mate?

She IS a Roman Catholic, I made a typo. But she isnt what I call, dogmatic.

BTW, name's Daniel Mikaelson, nice to meet you. ;P

Alrighty, now we're getting somewhere!  Wink  Nice to meet you, too, Daniel.  You can call me J Michael.  Or Jeff.  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »

completely missing the point... etc. etc... completely beating up a straw man rather than what I actually believe... etc. etc...

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32196.msg510175.html#msg510175
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

completely missing the point... etc. etc... completely beating up a straw man rather than what I actually believe... etc. etc...

No, I got your point, and I was actually responding to it, flippity-floppity floppertons. You could go for an ad hominem exemption, but straw man is unfair.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:30:50 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »

No, I got your point,

I don't think you have the slightest clue what my point was, nor what I think about the topic in general. Also, I wouldn't accuse you of an ad hominem, if only because it might give you the false impression that I care what you think of me as a person and that your jabs are getting to me police  But we can bicker in another thread if you want (e.g. random posts), I'll leave this one to get back to something that might actually be important to someone...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:35:40 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »

It doesn't sound very charitable to beat up people because they have a different religion than you. Is that how it works with Orthodox boys?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

It doesn't sound very charitable to beat up people because they have a different religion than you. Is that how it works with Orthodox boys?

No, most boys in general just like to fight over whatever they can find to fight over.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Why did you go?

If she sincerely wants to go, let her go.  If she is just going to please you,take advantage of her interest but also let her go but less frequently.  When you attend Mass, stand together so she doesn't feel outcast but do it reverently, and remember you came to pray.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

Wow, guys, I wish that keeping the Orthodox-Catholic distinction was my greatest problem!

And wow, comparing it to going to a mosque? I would not go there.

Anyway. As a humble catechumen just wanting to give my two cents:

Celtic, Habte does bring up a good point that you could limit the frequency. You are doing fine by sitting there quietly, listening to the readings, saying the Our Father, etc. But it does drive home the point if you attend once in a while.

It's good that she liked Vespers! Smiley

I know it is early in your relationship but it is a good thing to think about whether you two are also spiritually compatible for each other. I know it's very difficult, as even that is not a given. My husband and I have had our views on faith and the Church fluctuate wildly throughout our relationship and I have a feeling that it isn't going to end any time soon.

Remain in prayer about it and if you two get more serious, perhaps talk about it with your priest. I would mostly be concerned about the children being raised in one church, more than anything else. Hopefully she means it if she says that you can raise the children in the Orthodox Church!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »

If she sincerely wants to go, let her go.  If she is just going to please you,take advantage of her interest but also let her go but less frequently.  When you attend Mass, stand together so she doesn't feel outcast but do it reverently, and remember you came to pray.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I will keep your advice close to my heart, friend.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

I know it is early in your relationship but it is a good thing to think about whether you two are also spiritually compatible for each other. I know it's very difficult, as even that is not a given. My husband and I have had our views on faith and the Church fluctuate wildly throughout our relationship and I have a feeling that it isn't going to end any time soon.

Remain in prayer about it and if you two get more serious, perhaps talk about it with your priest. I would mostly be concerned about the children being raised in one church, more than anything else. Hopefully she means it if she says that you can raise the children in the Orthodox Church!

We've talked about it seriously, and atleast she is open to it. I've already told her my kids will be Orthodox, and she didnt have a problem with that, thankfully. She views Orthodox as the only other legitimate church. XD

I know it's an interesting situation to say the least (She was actually in the same RCIA class, doing confirmation, as my ex). I'm not going to be pushy, but I will pray for her. And whatever happens, happens. Smiley

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

We've talked about it seriously, and atleast she is open to it. I've already told her my kids will be Orthodox, and she didnt have a problem with that, thankfully. She views Orthodox as the only other legitimate church. XD

I know it's an interesting situation to say the least (She was actually in the same RCIA class, doing confirmation, as my ex). I'm not going to be pushy, but I will pray for her. And whatever happens, happens. Smiley

That seems to me the best attitude.  Good for you!  And, you never know, you may just end up in the (Roman or Byzantine) Catholic Church  Grin Grin Grin Grin!  (I only say that because 15-20 years ago and more, I would "never in a million years" have thought that I would be in any Church, much less the Catholic Church!)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: