OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient churches in Lalibela: built by aliens?  (Read 6728 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKufoU543AU

This is very interesting...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »

So is when I close my eyes and squish my knuckles into them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »

Pretty tame, and comparably tenable, compared to some of the other claims I've heard about Ethiopian Christianity Wink

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
jewish voice
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »

On a side note I would love to visit those church's one day  Smiley
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »

How I loathe the History Channel of late...

I believe this is appropriate?

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »

Mr Tsoukalos needs a haircut.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
jewish voice
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

Grin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »

He's got tenure. You can tell.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »

"First they came for the communists,
but I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist."

If you wish to keep your own hair, defend the hair of others.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »

Yeah but the aliens were in turn instructed by the Ge'ez-speaking squirrels from Eden

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »

While I have not yet had a chance to look up the details and credentials of most of the persons who spoke on this clip, my dubious light is lit because I do know of Erich Van Daniken.  His book "Chariots of the Gods?" came out in 1968 and I read it when I was a teenager.  Even at that age the idea that earlier peoples were somehow too stupid to build things without "alien" help and lack of consideration of other ideas and considerations seemed to me to be lame and unsupported.  There were other books that took on this thesis and countered it like "Crash Go the Chariots" and "The Space Gods Revealed".  It is documented that Van Daniken, shall we say, did not always present real facts in his books.

Other places have large structures carved out of solid rock, even if they're not totally cut free of the surrounding material, such as Petra.  There are such buildings in India they were carved out of ridge of granite, from what I've read.  http://www.wondermondo.com/Countries/As/India/TamilNadu/PanchaRathas.htm
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/249/

So at least from what was shown on the clip, I see no reason to think that this thesis is true.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »

Oh no! it's double-dactyl time:

Higgledy-Piggledy
Erich Van Daniken
Found ancient astronauts
On ev'ry stone,

Super-intelligent
Extraterrestrial
Visitors never could
Leave us alone.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »

Claiming that aliens built these churches or the pyramids is just white who try to explain away the fact that people of color were able to build amazing structures while their ancestors were bear baiting and living in huts.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 01:07:15 AM »

I think it's more a case of "chrono-snobbery", the idea that the ancestors weren't as intelligent or capable of figuring things so they needed some kind of help from "superior beings", since the video gives a date of these churches as the 12th century and there were large buildings existing in many parts of Europe and other places on the globe at the same time. Great Zimbabwe was being built in stone starting in the 11th century to give another example in Africa.

There are plenty of amazing structures or parts of them that are much older, Stonehenge and Silbury Hill in England and the Bru na Boinne site in Ireland (with Newgrange and Knowth among other works) are both ancient and marvelous as are the Pyramids, the remains of Persepolis and many others.   

mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:38 AM »

I've always wondered why beings who could manage FTL inter-galactic flight would be so dang interested in rocks.

"Who touches, is also touched"
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 05:42:27 AM »

I might not agree with the way you wear your hair but I'll defend to the death your choice to wear it that way?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »

Follow the evidence!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »

I might not agree with the way you wear your hair but I'll defend to the death your choice to wear it that way?

Exactly, especially for someone who has less-than-lawyerly hair, yet is a lawyer.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »

Only power tools? 

I hate it when scientists can't think their way through a straight line.

The history channel has really been quite dysfunctional lately. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

This is the reverse of Fr. Seraphim Rose. One says that angles are aliens, the other says that aliens are demons. Kind of interesting that they are in agreement about there being a similar relationship between the concepts.

Is this a kind of ecumenical dialog happening?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:39:21 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 10:37:23 AM »

Maybe Mr. Tsoukalos can co-host a show with the 'spirit' of Nostradamus, via the guys from those stupid ghost shows on Sci-Fy Channel. I would call it 'Celebrity Hillbilly Hand-Fishing..' The Kardashian sisters could be the first guests. Whadda ya think? I'm smelling mega-hit!!! Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

I respectfully plead with everyone not to mock the Faith and Traditions of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. Ask questions, express your doubts, but please don't mock holy things. It is unproductive at best, and spiritually dangerous at worst.

As for the "aliens" theory, I will accept the wisdom of Church teaching over and above the vain speculations of secular sources like the History Channel.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:48:33 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »

No one is mocking anything here but those idiots who made that 'documentary'.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »

I was referring to these posts, which I found irreverent and unproductive to the issue at hand. I don't mean to be overly senstive, but I just think that as Orthodox Christians we should not mock the faith and traditions of our brethren. We are attacked, ridiculed, and mocked day and night by the world, so it saddens me when Orthodox Christians demean the faith of their own brethren. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655154.html#msg655154

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655201.html#msg655201

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »

I was referring to these posts, which I found irreverent and unproductive to the issue at hand. I don't mean to be overly senstive, but I just think that as Orthodox Christians we should not mock the faith and traditions of our brethren. We are attacked, ridiculed, and mocked day and night by the world, so it saddens me when Orthodox Christians demean the faith of their own brethren. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655154.html#msg655154

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655201.html#msg655201

Ge'ez Gebre, take it easy. I'm not trying to mock you, just having some fun. And sometimes it's not just flippant and is meant to serve a purpose. Also, I've had people poke at me on this board before as well, and people sometimes make a mockery of what I believe. Doesn't matter. Just part of life. Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »

Ge'ez Gebre, take it easy. I'm not trying to mock you, just having some fun. And sometimes it's not just flippant and is meant to serve a purpose. Also, I've had people poke at me on this board before as well, and people sometimes make a mockery of what I believe. Doesn't matter. Just part of life. Smiley

Your comment wasn't that offensive, more so Iconodule's. I certainly don't mind being teased personally (heck, if I couldn't take being personally mocked, I'd have never lasted this long on this forum), but I just think we should all be careful about denigrating the traditions of our fellow Orthodox brethren. Best to err on the side of not causing offense, IMHO.

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »

...I just think we should all be careful about denigrating the traditions of our fellow Orthodox brethren. Best to err on the side of not causing offense, IMHO.

Ok, good point Smiley

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

Is Ge'ez really the faith and tradition of the Ethiopian church?  I would find it odd that a communion would have proclaimed the True Language, instead of the True Faith.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »

Is Ge'ez really the faith and tradition of the Ethiopian church?  I would find it odd that a communion would have proclaimed the True Language, instead of the True Faith.
I think it is a local tradition of the EOTC. Sort of like how Salpy said that Armenians call Armenian "the holy language". But do correct me if I am mistaken.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »

I think it is a local tradition of the EOTC. Sort of like how Salpy said that Armenians call Armenian "the holy language". But do correct me if I am mistaken.

Correct.

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I didn't watch that silly youtube clip but I just wanted to added some substance here.

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »

So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »

So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?

What are you asking brother? Ge'ez is the liturgical language of our Church. Our tradition maintains that Ge'ez was the language spoken in the Garden of Eden (perhaps one language among many that were spoken without confusion at that time). Our tradition also maintains that the rock hewn Churches of Lalibela were built with the assistance of angels who came by night.

We are Orthodox Christians, and our Faith does not hinge upon language or buildings. Our Faith is based upon Christ, His Cross, and His Church. That being said, we uphold our sacred traditions; and we do not defer them to the whims of secular science or the specious speculations of secular history.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:14:51 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »

So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?

What are you asking brother? Ge'ez is the liturgical language of our Church. Our tradition maintains that Ge'ez was the language spoken in the Garden of Eden (perhaps one language among many that were spoken without confusion at that time). Our tradition also maintains that the rock hewn Churches of Lalibela were built with the assistance of angels who came by night.

We are Orthodox Christians, and our Faith does not hinge upon language or buildings. Our Faith is based upon Christ, His Cross, and His Church. That being said, we uphold our sacred traditions; and we do not defer them to the whims of secular science or the specious speculations of secular history.

Selam
Great post, particularly the last paragraph.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I didn't watch that silly youtube clip but I just wanted to added some substance here.

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I have read plausible theories about the Knights Templar assisting in the construction of the Lalibela Churches. However, I take exception to the notion that this discounts the presence and assistance of Holy Angels in the process. Secular historians would have us believe that such wondrous architectural feats were only possible with the help of ET's and white people rather than the faithful endeavors of righteous African Christians who were assisted by the help of holy angels. Let us not cast our holy pearls before Babylon's swine.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:24:46 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »

Selam
Great post, particularly the last paragraph.

Thanks brother.

Selam

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I have read plausible theories about the Knights Templar assisting in the construction of the Lalibela Churches. However, I take exception to the notion that this discounts the presence and assistance of Holy Angels in the process. Secular historians would have us believe that such wondrous architectural feats were only possible with the help of ET's and white people rather than the faithful endeavors of righteous African Christians who were assisted by the help of holy angels. Let us not cast our holy pearls before Babylon's swine.

Selam

Thank you for that reminder, the achievements made in FAITH by the Ethiopians are no more, or less, astounding than the construction techniques used by the Byzantines in erecting Hagia Sophia, or the pre-Christian Romans in building the Pantheon, for 1600 years now consecrated and preserved as the Church known as the Santa Maria Rotonda. No one (excepting crackpots like the ones in the program) would presume ET helped build those Romans or Greeks and it is culturally insensitive to make a 'fakeumentary' like that of the "History" channel. They should stick to the Kardashians on channels like that and leave the real history to Ken Burns and PBS!
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »

Claiming that aliens built these churches or the pyramids is just white who try to explain away the fact that people of color were able to build amazing structures while their ancestors were bear baiting and living in huts.

They try and say the samething about stone-hinge too!

The sad thing is people all over are actually believing this stuff from the History Channel. I guess they feel that since it's the History Channel it must be true.

I see this as a negative side affect of Progressivism. Progressivism looks down on those of the past. It sees them as primitive, un-educated, stupid, un-enlightened .......etc.

Progessivim doesn't want to believe that our ancestors were smart. That they were able to build great things, and do great things.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »

That being said, we uphold our sacred traditions; and we do not defer them to the whims of secular science or the specious speculations of secular history.

Selam

It's good that the Ethiopian Orthodox don't bow down to secular science and secular history
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:40:16 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »

For some reason this thread reminds me of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYVkJu8xKCo&feature=player_embedded (Jesus and the Space Aliens)

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »

I used to watch "In Search Of," and even then, I knew this stuff was bonkers. Leonard Nimoy was awesome, though.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »

So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?

I would like to clarify what is "sacred" about the Ge'ez tradition because much like with the tabot confusions, the Ethiopian nomenclature doesn't readily translate into English.  Ge'ez refers to both the language itself and also the three modes of Ethiopian indigenous liturgical chanting, attributed to the illustrious Saint Yared.

It is the chant which is sacred, and the chant is preserved in the original Ge'ez language because of the musical notations. So when we in Ethiopian tradition speak of a sacred liturgical language, we are speaking the same context as the Gregorian or Byzantine chants.

True, we shouldn't discount any miraculous intervention, however we should also not disregards some of the observed facts of history, which several streams of evidence are beginning to strongly suggest.  Yes, some Eurocentric authors perhaps misinterpret this history as demonstrative of some kind of Ethiopian inferiority but that is silly and from their bias.  If anything, it would suggest the opposite, the Ethiopians must truly have held some kind of sway in order to convince the Templars, who were themselves even in the 12th century wealthy and powerful, to come all the way to remote Ethiopia and to invest years of time, resources, and labor for an Ethiopian public works project.  I myself would speculate three European motives (and you can find these three motives across all the European interaction with Ethiopia from the Crusades through the searches for Prester John and the Portuguese episode and even the later British excursions; I also believe that European exploration itself was part of this romantic affair with Ethiopia the European oligarchs had with Ethiopia): (a) to court favor with the Muslims because the Ethiopians, either through diplomacy or coercion had always seemed to have favorable relationships with the Muslims, (b) to establish economic ties with East Africa as an anchor into the Orient and (c) a thousand year love affair with the romantic fable of Prester John, the great Ethiopian King who could help unite with Europe and retake the world in a new Pax Romana.  Be it the Crusaders, the Explorers, and even the later Russians, all seemed to think there was almost some kind of mystical power associated with the Emperors, even when there wasn't the kind of material evidence to support it.  For example, during the 19th century, when Europeans were in the height of the Scramble for Africa, the British, French,  Italians, and Russians all played Cold War games in Ethiopia around Emperors Yohannes IV and Menelik II including arms races, coups, assassinations, and pitch battles pinning the Egyptians, Sudanese, Somalis, and internal Ethiopian rivals all against each other.  I digress to point out that the European relationship with Ethiopia has always been much more complicated then simply a beligerant European trying to abuse Ethiopians, it is often been both mutual and back and forth like a Chess match.  Perhaps Ethiopia's success in the game stems from the even more complex internal politics of Ethiopian civilization, which has made leadership a true skill, and Ethiopian Emperors play their chess with the utmost wit and grace, duping internal and external foes alike, African, Arab, or European.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »

greetings earthlings...take me to your bishop!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

greetings earthlings...take me to your bishop!

The Ab Squad

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »

Roha/ "Lalibela"[saint] is the "Jerusalem" of Ethiopian Orthodox worshippers. The narrative in the youtube is not accurate. By the way Roha is another name for the place.

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Tags: Lalibela 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: