Author Topic: 2011 National Conference on Christian Apologetics  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
2011 National Conference on Christian Apologetics
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
We are excited about this year's National Conference on Christian Apologetics (Oct. 28-29, 2011, Northside Baptist Church, Charlotte, NC) presented by Southern Evangelical Seminary. Each year, nearly 2,000 people gather to hear the top names in apologetics. This year we will be welcoming William Lane Craig, Josh McDowel, Gary Habermas, William Dembski [prominent Intelligent-Design proponent], Greg Koukl, and many others.
Q. My relative, friend, neighbor, co-worker, etc. is really hostile to Christianity.
Should I bring them to this conference?

A. Absolutely! Apologetics and the wealth of data that affirms Christianity has a
wonderful, two-fold benefit: Apologetics "reaches and teaches." It "equips and deepens
the believer," but it can also "persuade the lost." At previous events, skeptics, searchers,
agnostics, and unbelievers with various objections have found a personal relationship
with Jesus Christ. This is an event that God can use to enrich believers and evangelize
non-believers. You will want to invite your friends to the Post-Conference Event too.
Sample talks:

William Dembski—“Detecting Design in
Nature”

David Hoshour -“Truth about Evolution”

Daniel Janosik—“Three Gods or One: How
to Explain the Trinity to a Muslim”

Ted Wright–“Defending Creation: Evaluating
Old Earth and Young Earth Theories”

Michael Willenborg—“Should Christians
Be Open to Open Theism?”

Bill Dembski “Why Theistic Evolution
Fails” [ :o :o :o]

[On Rob Bell:] Kent Suter “Bell’s Hells: The (Re)Emergence
of Liberal Theology”

William Lane Craig and Frank Turek
(debrief on Oct. 25 debate with [Richard] Dawkins)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:21:37 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: 2011 National Conference on Christian Apologetics
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a solidly intelligent design and YEC party.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
I scrolled through the workshops offered, and my favorite was "Fossil Man: Did We Come from Apes?"  :D Alas, NC is a bit far away for me, so I will have to passively-aggressively scoff from afar...

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
I scrolled through the workshops offered, and my favorite was "Fossil Man: Did We Come from Apes?"  :D Alas, NC is a bit far away for me, so I will have to passively-aggressively scoff from afar...

Since I went to Wild Goose, I'll have to go this one, just to be fair.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

[sarcasm] Wait, we came from apes? No way, I would have thought that we evolved from some smarter animal like a mouse or a dolphin... but apes? This I can not believe! [/sarcasm]

I really don't care for the whole evolution v intelligent design/ YEC arguments any more - honestly I could find out that we most certainly did evolve from a tiny amoeba and it would not have once of bearing on my faith, likewise I could find out that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and I wouldn't care as it still has no bearing on my faith.

I just wish some other Christians would focus more on actual faith issues and figuring out how to get our house in order before we worry about others. How can the Christian community as a whole claim to be one with so many divisions? That is what the secular world sees, and maybe we (all of us to include the Protestants) should focus on instead of some arbitrary arguments that we may never know all of the answers to... just saying
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
I know what you mean, but somehow I doubt that shifting to constantly arguing with Presbyterian ministers over the five solas and the invisible church is going to improve the Christian image either.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.