OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 11:39:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did state TV help provoke violence against Copts in Egypt?  (Read 570 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« on: October 15, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

Shortly after deadly violence broke out against Copts in Cairo, Egypt, many are questioning the possible role of the state television network in encouraging the attacks.

From the article:
The bloodshed was seen by many activists as a turning point in Egypt's already chaotic transition: the deadliest use of force against protesters by the military, which has touted itself as the "protector of the revolution." Criticism has been mounting that the military, which took power after Mubarak's ouster, has adopted the same tactics as the former regime and has been slow to bring real change.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »

if it didn't then it definitely will! the reporter on state television literally said " our own army is under attack, not from Israelis (muslims hate Israelis as much as they hate God), not from the enemy, but from a sector of our own society, but from the Copts, Egyptians are you going to let this happen? there have been at least 3 confirmed deaths of army personnel and tens of injuries, are you going to let this pass, Egyptians?"  she said with such conviction that it sounded as if she was about to burst out saying punish the infidels.
Anyways it ended up being lies. the army declared that they are holding the funerals of the dead soldiers in secret to maintain the morale of the troops, they also refused to release their names for privacy reasons, they release the names of the martyred copts, so why not the alleged military personnel?
i think the fact that they refused to name or mention the funerals shows that they are lying. the videos all demonstrate clearly that the copts didn't have weapons. my own cousin confirmed this, His Holiness confirmed this. honestly this is another of their many lies! they can't just say we killed 26 christians because they were christians!
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »

thanks, biro for posting that link, i think this is the most honest account i have read in the media about what happened.
the Christian protesters certainly were not out to cause trouble, there was at least 1 priest in the front row and the the protesters calmly walked a great distance while being intermittently attacked by non Christian neighbours as they went past.

my priest friend tells me that as a priest, it is common to be spat on or hit while walking down the road in cairo wearing a priest's robe.
Tags: Egypt  Coptic Orthodox Church  persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: