OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survivor of domestic violence speaks to conference at Clearwater, FL church  (Read 583 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »

Audrey Mabrey, a survivor of domestic violence, addressed a luncheon at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Clearwater, Florida. The organization, Faces of Domestic Violence, held the meeting Friday, October 14.

From the article:
But Mabrey, 28, told about 400 attendees at the Faces of Domestic Violence luncheon Thursday at Clearwater's Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church that she is determined to turn her ordeal into a positive situation and help others recognize the signs of abuse.

"It is oftentimes a silent issue, so it is important to encourage other women to not only get out of it but to advocate," Mabrey said.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:59:47 PM »

Audrey Mabrey, a survivor of domestic violence, addressed a luncheon at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Clearwater, Florida. The organization, Faces of Domestic Violence, held the meeting Friday, October 14.

From the article:
But Mabrey, 28, told about 400 attendees at the Faces of Domestic Violence luncheon Thursday at Clearwater's Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church that she is determined to turn her ordeal into a positive situation and help others recognize the signs of abuse.

"It is oftentimes a silent issue, so it is important to encourage other women to not only get out of it but to advocate," Mabrey said.

And the men?

I was just talking to a friend of mine, whose ex-wife is so brazen as to admit to the psych evaluators that not only has he never hit her, but that she has hit him, given him black eyes, poured hot coffee onto his lap and scawled him, etc... and still he is fighting an uphill battle to just to see his daughters.

Not anecdotal evidence: once jurisdictions mandated that charges could not be dropped by victims, they started finding out how often a woman is on the giving side.  In CA I remember a case where she poured nail polish remover on his....and set it on fire.  The DA had to call him as a hostile witness, and reiterate that although the husband wanted to drop the case, the case was "The People vs. Mrs. X," not "X vs. X."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »

From the article:

And the men?

I was just talking to a friend of mine, whose ex-wife is so brazen as to admit to the psych evaluators that not only has he never hit her, but that she has hit him, given him black eyes, poured hot coffee onto his lap and scawled him, etc... and still he is fighting an uphill battle to just to see his daughters.

Not anecdotal evidence: once jurisdictions mandated that charges could not be dropped by victims, they started finding out how often a woman is on the giving side.  In CA I remember a case where she poured nail polish remover on his....and set it on fire.  The DA had to call him as a hostile witness, and reiterate that although the husband wanted to drop the case, the case was "The People vs. Mrs. X," not "X vs. X."

Yeah really now: and what are the statistics of the number of men who kill their wives: I know it is really high.  And many of these men have already had restraint ordereds placed on them by the courts.

This is a real problem that our churches have to face.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »

From the article:

And the men?

This inequality is something that has troubled me for sometime. Stereotyping is always the blinkered path.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags: Clearwater  Florida  domestic violence 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: