OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orthodox & ties with Gulf moslems  (Read 899 times) Average Rating: 0
Etienne

OC.net

« on: August 07, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »

Reported in the London Times, today 7 August, 2004

The Russian Orthodox Church is seeking to strengthen its ties with Muslims in the Gulf. Metropolitan Kirill, the Church's "foreign minister", met a delegation from the Kuwaiti Government this week. He said that Christians and Muslims should co-operate to promote human rights based on religious, rather than secular values.

My initial response on seeing this report was to 'swallow". Reading it a second time the last sentence struck me,  particularly, "...Christians and Muslims ........ to promote human rights based on religious, rather than secular values".

Interesting, although Orthodox Christians and Moslems have very serious and significant religious differences, and  Chechnya and Middle Eastern extremism pose serious challenges; including of course the double standards applied in regard to the Palestine/Israeli conflict.

It is afterwards that events are best understood
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 01:19:26 PM »

I too, find it difficult to imagine human rights eminating from the Quran.  I thought that any rights Muslims may have had to be fortieted to the Quran.  The Quran then gives back "rights" what is interpreted by the Mullas.  Islam is total submittion to the Quran. but I could be wrong. I would be interested in knowing the depth of human rights we are referring to.

JoeS
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »

Sorry for the mispelling "fortieted" should have been read "forfeited".

JoeS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: