OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 10:03:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Icons  (Read 1011 times) Average Rating: 0
peteprint
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: October 14, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

Hello,

I had a question regarding the icons used in Egypt.  I know that Coptic icons are very distinctive, and I was wondering, do the churches of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria (EO) employ Byzantine-style icons, or do they use Coptic-style (OO) in their parishes? 

Both Churches have been in Egypt for centuries, and I would like to know if they share any practices unique to Egyptians, or is the Greek Patriarchate simply the Greek Orthodox Church transplanted to Egyptian soil?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

They use Byzantine icons now, however, im sure that wasn't always the case. The Greek Church of Alexandria is as you say, "The Greek Orthodox Church transplanted to Egyptian soil."

You can see the icons of both churches in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafEqOPRAs8

I think its pretty obvious which ones are Coptic and which are Greek.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:57:11 PM by copticyouth93 » Logged
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

They use Byzantine icons now, however, im sure that wasn't always the case. The Greek Church of Alexandria is as you say, "The Greek Orthodox Church transplanted to Egyptian soil."

Thank you.  That's what I thought would be the case, but I felt that since the Greek Church had been in Egypt since Byzantine times there might be some similarities.  They were one Church (as far as I know), prior to the Chalcedon split, and not a church of immigrants as the Greek Church in the US is.  Interesting how things developed in Egypt.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

That's a great video.  My heart goes out to our Christian brothers and sisters of both Churches that are suffering persecution in Egypt today.  We hear about the murder of Copts, but I am sure the Greek Orthodox are just as hated by the extremists as well.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »

They were one Church (as far as I know), prior to the Chalcedon split, and not a church of immigrants as the Greek Church in the US is.  Interesting how things developed in Egypt.
Not only that, but the Greek Church in Alexandria used the rites of the Coptic Orthodox until (IINM) Pat. Balsamon suppressed them in exchange for the Byzantine rite. ialmisry could probably tell you more about that.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »

They were one Church (as far as I know), prior to the Chalcedon split, and not a church of immigrants as the Greek Church in the US is.  Interesting how things developed in Egypt.
Not only that, but the Greek Church in Alexandria used the rites of the Coptic Orthodox until (IINM) Pat. Balsamon suppressed them in exchange for the Byzantine rite. ialmisry could probably tell you more about that.

Thank you Severian.  Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »

Hello,

I had a question regarding the icons used in Egypt.  I know that Coptic icons are very distinctive, and I was wondering, do the churches of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria (EO) employ Byzantine-style icons, or do they use Coptic-style (OO) in their parishes? 

Both Churches have been in Egypt for centuries, and I would like to know if they share any practices unique to Egyptians, or is the Greek Patriarchate simply the Greek Orthodox Church transplanted to Egyptian soil?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
Egypt has some of the oldest "Byzantine" icons:St. Catherine's at Sinai was not subject to the iconoclast emperors.  Medieval icons EO and OO in Egypt are nearly indistinquishable.  It is only with the neo-Coptic renaissance and the revival of Palaeologian style among the EO that the distinctions have become pronounced.

The veils in the sanctuary are like the Coptic ones, and the older Churches have more elements in common, but the Ottoman period (1517-1811) homogenized a lot with the rest of the Mediterranean, then the Muhammad Ali dynasty (the royal house of Egypt 1811-1953) whose founder (a Turkified Albanian from Greece) brought in a lot of Greeks (and Armenians).  This on top of the suppression of the native rites (the ones the Copts continue) of the EO in Egypt in 1200.

Btw, there are plenty of Antiochians transplanted to Egyptian soil, including yours truely.  There were natives a long time back, though (including before the Ottomans came): Pope Eutychios (933-40) was born Sa'id ibn BiTriq in Fustat/Old Cairo in 876 and spoke no Greek, only Arabic and Syriac (the latter being the language he read Greek works in translation).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »

Thank you.  That's what I thought would be the case, but I felt that since the Greek Church had been in Egypt since Byzantine times there might be some similarities.  They were one Church (as far as I know), prior to the Chalcedon split, and not a church of immigrants as the Greek Church in the US is.  Interesting how things developed in Egypt.
No, it is both a native and immigrant Church (we have a lot of Armenians, for instance, and have had so for at least a millenium).  There has been a continuous EO Church and community in Egypt, but there has been a constant coming and going between Syria and the Late Roman Empire/Greece which the Copts didn't have.  IIRC Ozgeorge's father came from Egypt, but the family had come from Pontus.  My son's godmother is Coptic (but EO), but her grandmother's family immigrated to Egypt from Greece.  Such a constant stream has kept the EO Church continuous subject to influence from the outside, especially areas where the EO is the majority.  Yet there are some things in common: like the Copts, the EO do not fast the full 50 days until Pentecost (the original custom).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: