OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:01:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clarification on Advertising  (Read 870 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: October 14, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »

A thread was just (possibly temporarily) moved because it was advertising something. It wasn't spam, but it apparently was in potential violation of a rule. Fair enough. However, I have seen threads in recent times that were clearly advertisements (e.g. for books), but with no moderation involved. What exactly are the rules? If you're a bishop who writes a book, are you allowed to advertise? How about if your parish priest writes one? What if you want to talk about the book you just published, and post an excerpt from it?

Large Marge sent me...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »

A thread was just (possibly temporarily) moved because it was advertising something. It wasn't spam, but it apparently was in potential violation of a rule. Fair enough. However, I have seen threads in recent times that were clearly advertisements (e.g. for books), but with no moderation involved. What exactly are the rules? If you're a bishop who writes a book, are you allowed to advertise? How about if your parish priest writes one? What if you want to talk about the book you just published, and post an excerpt from it?
Have you PMed Fr. Chris about this? That may be a better approach than starting a thread on Board News where everyone has the chance to post his/her own opinion.

As it stands now, we're currently deliberating over how to clarify the rules vis-a-vis advertising, so you should see an answer to your question soon.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

Ok, thank you Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

I would also point out that just this week an ad for a book was removed from public view, but the author of the post was not disciplined. Why? because we had not yet published the issue on the Board Policies section, and so no one should be held accountable for violating something we had not told them about. That is why there was no moderation involved; everything was handled privately...until you decided to make it your business.

If you see a thread that you have questions about, we have instructions in Board Policies that requests you post a report about the problem. We can't catch everything; in fact I spend all my time doing behind-the-scenes stuff and rarely can participate in anything in public view.

This is why we depend on you folks to report a problem if you see one.

However, starting a thread to discuss a moderatorial decision is a direct violation of at least two points:

-discussing moderatorial decisions; and
-seeing a post or issue that needs to be reported.

You may PM me if you wish to discuss this any further. This thread will be locked.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:00:57 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: