OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:22:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church To Be Rebuilt At Ground Zero / St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church to be rebuilt!!!  (Read 2296 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: October 14, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »

Just read this on Facebook.

Bishop Savas Zembillas
BREAKING NEWS: His Eminence Archbishop DEMETRIOS of America and the members of the Holy Eparchial Synod, Mr Michael Jaharis of the Archdiocesan Council, and others met with GOVERNOR ANDREW CUOMO of New York State and were informed by him that the a settlement had been reached and that the SAINT NICHOLAS GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH will be REBUILT at GROUND ZERO.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/deal-struck-rebuild-ny-church-destroyed-911-14737966

It took a decade, but a deal has finally been struck to rebuild a New York City church destroyed on 9/11.

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced Friday that they have resolved their long dispute over how to rebuild St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, a small, 85-year-old chapel that stood across the street from the World Trade Center and was destroyed when the towers fell.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 12:20:02 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »

Dhoksa Theou!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

Whooooo hoooooo!!! THANKS BE TO GOD!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

Glory to God!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »

Glory to God Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »

ABC news? Sounds like Archon George Stephanopolous got the 'scoop'. Good for him!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:23:20 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory forever!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press@DemosforCongress.com

Brookhaven, NY- George Demos, the Conservative Republican candidate for US Congress in New York's First District, who helped lead the effort to bring national attention to the plight of the 9/11 Church today praised Governor Cuomo for fulfilling Governor Pataki's pledge to rebuild the only house of worship destroyed on September 11th. 

George Demos said,

"Fifteen months ago when the ember of hope to rebuild St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church was nearly extinguished and our nation was embroiled in a controversy about the propriety of a Mosque at Ground Zero, we stood up and let the nation know that it was our obligation to rebuild the only house of worship destroyed on September 11th. 

What started as a quiet voice in the wilderness, grew to national television appearances and a press conference with Governor Pataki, to a national call to honor America and the victims of that tragic day by rebuilding the Church.  Most importantly, I am proud of all of those who joined the tireless fight to break through the bureaucracy.  Together we have succeeded in relighting the candle of hope.

Sadly the breakthrough only came after the Port Authority's Director Christopher Ward, who had been maliciously blocking the rebuilding of the Church, was forced to resign.

Ten years ago, Governor Pataki walked amongst the smoldering ruins and made a heartfelt pledge that the humble Church that stood against those mighty towers would rise again.  Today Governor Cuomo has stood tall in ensuring this happened.  To both Governors Cuomo and Pataki, our nation owes a debt of gratitude.

Generations from now, Americans will read history books about the brave and heroic acts of September 11th and now they will also look back with pride that our nation stood up and defended our Judeo-Christian values.  I am proud of those who joined us and you have my pledge that I will always continue to fight for our values."

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »

Thanks be to God!  angel

Not posting
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:44:28 PM »

I am not if the port was a "bad guy" or not, but I am glad to see agreement made.  May St. Nicholas be soon rebuilt.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »

Most awesome! 

Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »

Glory be to God!

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »

As they say, the 'devil is in the details.'  The question will be who owns the land is key: I find it odd that the Port Authority would spend $25 million on land it does not own, which seems to indicate that the chapel will be built on Port Authority property, therefore the chapel's land will not belong to the Church.  If the GOA agrees to be a tenant, there will be problems in the future just as much as they have had ten years of conflict already.

I certainly hope I am wrong and that the GOA will have full ownership of its new location just as it had before.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
britgirl
I'm a smarmy college student.

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

إسمي عائشة وأنا طالبة في جامعة :)

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »

Glory!

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." - Proverbs 16:3

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." --Ben Franklin

يا ربّ ارحم

It ain't me talking fast, it's just you listening slow.

International Relations: Middle East/Africa; Muslim Studies (B.A. 2014)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »

"Thoxa Si O Theos Imon Thoxa Si."  "Glory to Thee Lord, Glory to Thee."

Of course it was expected of him, but Archbishop Demetrios should be credited for his tenacious leadership and coordination of the resources of the Holy Archdiocese, in his efforts that have resulted in this success of today; "Eis Pola Eti, Despota".

Interesting item above about the property ownership issue.  I think the Port Authority payment has something to do with the change of address; the church will not be at its prior location, 155 Cedar St.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:50:43 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Byron
Warned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:16 AM »

As they say, the 'devil is in the details.'  The question will be who owns the land is key: I find it odd that the Port Authority would spend $25 million on land it does not own, which seems to indicate that the chapel will be built on Port Authority property, therefore the chapel's land will not belong to the Church.  If the GOA agrees to be a tenant, there will be problems in the future just as much as they have had ten years of conflict already.

I certainly hope I am wrong and that the GOA will have full ownership of its new location just as it had before.

Interesting point, i would also like an answer on who owns the land.

Also what's a "nondenominational bereavement center"Huh Is it appropriate to have such a thing on the site of or attached to the church?

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »

While I am not exactly sure, I'll bet the non-denominational "bereavement center" attached to the church is probably a quiet, peaceful place where people can sit and reflect on their lost loved ones from 9-11, much like a non-denominational chapel at a public hospital. 
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »

I'll have to go and visit the church someday when they are done building it.  angel

Not posting
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »

Finally.  Amen!  Glory to God.

Does anyone know of a website where people can pledge monetary donations to this great endeavor?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

I recall there was something on facebook, I suggest you enter something like "Rebuild St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church" to search for the site that was attached through fb. Or, you can send a check to the GOAA at 10 East 79th St., clearly labeled that it's for St. Nicholas Church.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »

Non-denominational bereavement center... hiss...

The government is so annoying.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »

I wonder how long it will take to build?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

Non-denominational bereavement center... hiss...

The government is so annoying.

or an opportunity to show the world the One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic church! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 06:10:44 PM »

Too true father, thank you.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »

By Kevin Eckstrom
Religion News Service

(RNS) Ten years after tiny St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church was destroyed by falling rubble from the World Trade Center towers, church leaders reached an agreement Friday (Oct. 14) to rebuild at Ground Zero.

The church, founded by Greek immigrants in 1916, sat in the shadow of the twin towers and was the only religious building to be completely destroyed during the 9/11 attacks.

Under the agreement brokered by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the church agreed to drop a lawsuit filed in February against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which controls rebuilding at Ground Zero.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »

Re. REPLY No. 18

There is an on-line pledge button to donate to the "Re-Build" St. Nicholas Church fund on the home page of the GOAA, "goarch.org"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:39:05 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »

or an opportunity to show the world the One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic church! 

Or to show them holy Greek-ness! Alexander the Great, New Testament written in Greek, etc.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 03:07:43 AM »

The above post, Reply No. 26, is uncalled for and lacks civility, especially on a forum composed largely of fellow "pious and Orthodox Christians," as we are referred to liturgically.  If it was written "tong in cheek" as an attempt at humor, I apologize for what I am writing in the next paragraph.

Maybe the poster would feel better if St. Nicholas was a Serbian Church, conducting the Divine Services in Church Slavonic and Serbian with minimal token English, celebrating holiday's of Serbian revolutionary military heroes, adorning the church grounds with their statutes.  (I personally love all the Holy Eastern Orthodox Churches, and enjoy participation in Serbian Orthodox Church services in my area.  One of their parish's devout priests concelebrates weddings and baptisms routinely at my Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America parish, at which I am the chanter, due to inter-parish marriages, but I feel compelled to make an analogous slam at the absurdity of the above post, which demonstates a lack of understanding and appreciation for the Orthodoxy and genuine spirituality of GOAA parishes.) By the way, I've never heard a word about Alexander the Great in a GOAA parish.  Also, in my area, Serbs and Greeks work along side each other for pan-Orthodox concerns like IOCC.

Bishop Ireney of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Australia, who, while he was a priest, served for a time as the Sunday Liturgical Assistant in my GOAA parish, tells the folk tale of the Serb who was asked, "Who are your friends?"  He responded, "I have only two friends, God and the Greeks."

Prior to its destruction, the church had a schedule for having the church open for prayer and candle lighting and many who were employed in the Wall Street area, not typically Orthodox Christians, took advantage of the spiritual opportunities afforded to the public in this tiny church.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:10:40 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »

Maybe the poster would feel better if St. Nicholas was a Serbian Church, conducting the Divine Services in Church Slavonic and Serbian with minimal token English, celebrating holiday's of Serbian revolutionary military heroes, adorning the church grounds with their statutes.

I'm not Serbian.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »

http://www.goarch.org/news/cuomostnicholas-10192012

The Governor of the State of New York Andrew Cuomo, announced yesterday at the Archdiocesan Council meeting, that the final agreement on the rebuilding of St. Nicholas was signed the day before, Oct. 18, 2012 and that the Port Authority would begin construction immediately hoping to complete the foundation in a year and then turn the site over to the Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: