OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:38:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rescued by the "piety" of my daughter.  (Read 793 times) Average Rating: 0
Saffron

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »

Piety is defined by Merriam-Webster as "dutifulness in religion" and I guess my child is blessed with that virtue. I am not.

At my (and my hubby's) fave restaurant when I see my fave fajitas coming I'm not like "whoa stop there is something missing" unless of course its the bell peppers or something. My 2.5 y/o daughter on the other hand yells at my MIL and me. In a shrill and distraught voice as she does her swirlie criss cross over her heart I hear " Momma you have to say Jesus Prayer before you eat. police No food until then, make Him happy." Ooooooooh kaaaay. Huh She didn't even stand there long enough to go through he Catechumen ceremony but something must have happened - and it doesn't have to do with me.

For the ever loving life of me I could not even start to remember the Lord's Prayer. Nope Nada Zilch in my awestruck brain at that moment. She took our hands placed them palms up and said the prayer almost perfect, with a little extra added in at the end and then a swirlie cross. I almost cried. One because my daughter is so innocent and willing to love God and two because I couldn't even remember and I'm supposed to be teaching her.

Maybe Dad won't have to worry about dating, maybe she will WANT to go to a monastery.  angel laugh

"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky
Saffron

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »

This is my daughter Smiley

"Everybody wants to change the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself."

—Dostoevsky
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »

What a doll!

One of the ways we knew Orthodoxy was for us was the effect it had on our children.  I wrote a blog post on it early on, and included in the post was this story about our youngest child:

"Emily always wanted to go venerate the cross at the end of the liturgy, so Khouria was kind enough to take her and Lauren and Abby for a blessing at communion and down the aisle to venerate the cross after the Liturgy. After the 2nd time Emily had done this, our priest was talking to us at a table in the parish hall, and as he leaned over the table, his pectoral cross was swinging back and forth. Emily loudly interrupted the conversation by yelling 'ah, a cross!' and grabbing it and kissing it."

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »

We came into the church when our children were 1, 3, and 7. Our eldest daughter started "practicing being baptized" from almost the moment we started attending our parish. Her love for the faith is is very humbling.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »

Piety is defined by Merriam-Webster as "dutifulness in religion" and I guess my child is blessed with that virtue. I am not.

At my (and my hubby's) fave restaurant when I see my fave fajitas coming I'm not like "whoa stop there is something missing" unless of course its the bell peppers or something. My 2.5 y/o daughter on the other hand yells at my MIL and me. In a shrill and distraught voice as she does her swirlie criss cross over her heart I hear " Momma you have to say Jesus Prayer before you eat. police No food until then, make Him happy." Ooooooooh kaaaay. Huh She didn't even stand there long enough to go through he Catechumen ceremony but something must have happened - and it doesn't have to do with me.

For the ever loving life of me I could not even start to remember the Lord's Prayer. Nope Nada Zilch in my awestruck brain at that moment. She took our hands placed them palms up and said the prayer almost perfect, with a little extra added in at the end and then a swirlie cross. I almost cried. One because my daughter is so innocent and willing to love God and two because I couldn't even remember and I'm supposed to be teaching her.

Maybe Dad won't have to worry about dating, maybe she will WANT to go to a monastery.  angel laugh

Wow, just wow! I can see that as very humbling indeed

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
ignatios

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:51:24 AM »

That's wonderful! I've heard about and seen similar circumstances where the children have an unusual way of knowing God. Jesus' comments concerning the little children definitely come to mind here. God has a way of connecting with those who aren't bogged down with decades of sin.  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:17:12 AM »

Just so sweet!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »

It would be cool to have such stories as a permanent post, they are wonderful.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »

Out of the mouths of babes, indeed. So often the little ones leave us in the shade. Wonderful story!
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:53 PM »

Saffron, what a beautiful and wise child you have! Thanks for sharing.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: