OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:53:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My big fat christmas thread  (Read 695 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 10, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

Alright, I know that it is a little early but this will become a pretty important matter later. Due to various sircumstances at home, I have not begun fasting yet(don't judge me Wink) but eventually, it will happen. Unfortunately the scandinavian countries have the incredibly annoying tradition to celebrate christmas on the 24th of december and not on the 25th as in other countries. This means that families will gather on the evening after the afternoon church service(yes, danes still go to church on christmas). Since the orthodox church celebrates christmas on the night between those two days I will not be able to celebrate christmas with my family.
Also, it is a proud tradition during december to hold family christmas dinners, a tradition which is very convenient due to my countries dark winter days. And here I am talking about REALLY big dinners,

This will make it very difficult for me to fast during the month since these dinners are very important, at least in my family and it would be very rude not to eat anything. I once heard a norwegian priest say that you should eat a little bit of food when you visit people so as not to insult the hosts.

What do you think I should do?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »

One main course, several starters... No, it's not big.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »

Ask your priest!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »

Since the orthodox church celebrates christmas on the night between those two days I will not be able to celebrate christmas with my family.

...just celebrate Christmas on January 7 (Julian Calendar - Dec. 25).  Smiley

Seriously, I have been told that when during a fast I happen to visit a home of non-fasters, I am obligated to eat the food they put before me....because food (of any kind) is still a gift from God....and it would be rude to the host and to God, to waste it.

Don't overeat, or specifically plan to visit non-fasters so that you can talk yourself in to eating non-fast meals.  However, if they happen to have lenten fare (ie. veggies, salad, etc...) try to stick with those items.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »

My understanding is that hospitality is more important than the fasts.

When I go to someones house, I eat what is offered.  I don't seek out extra visits just to break the fast, only the normal family/friend obligations.

During fasts I avoid inviting people over.  When people do come over, I try to serve something that does not break the fast but will not raise questions,  spaghetti without meatballs has worked well.

Mathe 24:36
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »

Alright, I know that it is a little early but this will become a pretty important matter later. Due to various sircumstances at home, I have not begun fasting yet(don't judge me Wink) but eventually, it will happen. Unfortunately the scandinavian countries have the incredibly annoying tradition to celebrate christmas on the 24th of december and not on the 25th as in other countries. This means that families will gather on the evening after the afternoon church service(yes, danes still go to church on christmas). Since the orthodox church celebrates christmas on the night between those two days I will not be able to celebrate christmas with my family.
Also, it is a proud tradition during december to hold family christmas dinners, a tradition which is very convenient due to my countries dark winter days. And here I am talking about REALLY big dinners,

This will make it very difficult for me to fast during the month since these dinners are very important, at least in my family and it would be very rude not to eat anything. I once heard a norwegian priest say that you should eat a little bit of food when you visit people so as not to insult the hosts.

*mouth waters*

Eat a small amout, as to not be rude. Just realize Orthodoxy isn't legalistic, keeping the fast is important, but so is spending time with the family. So eating a little with everybody wont harm your salvation.  Smiley

P.S. I am going to be going through the same thing as you (My first year as an Orthodox), and my family does the same stuff.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:31:30 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »

My step-grandparents are devout Baptists so you can bet there is going to be some amazingly delicious anti-fast food.

I don't think I can use frugality in this situation.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »

Eat a modest amount of food to the glory of God. Remember, never make the means to the end an end in itself.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:36:38 PM by Paisius » Logged

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »

Thank you, everybody. I still have to do something about the 24th of december thing though.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 03:36:45 AM »

Orthodox days are recognised as beginning at sunset. Once the sun has set on the 24th, it becomes the 25th. Is that a large enough loophole?  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: