OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 02:02:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should hospital staff wear costumes on Hallowe'en?
sure, why not? - 5 (35.7%)
no, it doesn't look professional - 9 (64.3%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallowe'en in hospital setting  (Read 976 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: October 12, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »

At my hospital the folks in the ER have a tradition of wearing costumes on Hallowe'en. I'm thinking of getting this stopped. I feel it looks very unprofessional. How would you feel if your family member was critically ill and the ppl working with them were dressed like witches, scarecrows etc. Do I have a valid point or am I just being a killjoy?

Proverbs 22:7
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »

I'd also be very concerned if the costume/makeup violates infection control protocols.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

I can remember twice being in a hospital (in ER) with my wife, concerned with something or other going on with her heart issues, and could hear people at the desk laughing and joking, one time even as we buzzed for help. Pi**ed me off something awful. But after I cooled down I figured they had a tough job, and probably had to not get emotionally involved or constantly be running around anxious about the patients, otherwise they'd burn out quick. Though you'd know better than me. Let me know if I'm wrong, in which case I'm going to go wring some necks. Smiley  As to your question, fwiw I wouldn't consider it unprofessional, unless it was maybe dressing like monsters in a pediatric wing or something...   if anything I rather like the idea... makes you people somewhat human, as opposed to the usual clinical and inhuman distance or indifference, bordering on rudeness, I usually encounter. Wink

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »

LBK raises a valid medical point, but I should imagine that has been considered before anything like this would occur. In essence I agree with Asterikos and I wouldn't consider it unprofessional. Certainly presents a human face, albeit behind a witchy mask!  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »

I've always assumed that this probably interferes with their productivity (which, in the case of an ER, is highly important).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »

At my hospital the folks in the ER have a tradition of wearing costumes on Hallowe'en. I'm thinking of getting this stopped. I feel it looks very unprofessional. How would you feel if your family member was critically ill and the ppl working with them were dressed like witches, scarecrows etc. Do I have a valid point or am I just being a killjoy?

I think you do have a valid point.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »

I think you do have a valid point.

+1.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

I'm confused here by some of the responses... this is an American hospital, what does sanitation, productivity or professionalism have to do with anything?  angel 

Kidding...   apparently some do see it as causing issues... so maybe better safe than sorry I guess... Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

I think a full on costume would be a big problem and completely inappropriate. Halloween themed apparel would be OK IMO. Like scrubs that have a halloween theme, women wearing a headband or something similar. The doctors at the Childrens hospital tend to wear some thing bright/cheery that has something to do with the upcoming holidays. That is nice, but I would find it odd to have someone in costume assist me. Especially since most costumes for women are just variations on the same basic theme; sexy nurse, sexy witch, sexy cheerleader....
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »

Yeah, unless they are working with children, I don't really see why they need to wear full costume. It would be off-putting to see a clown coming out to greet me and saying, "I'm sorry, we did everything we could."

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:34:47 AM »

^ I have clownphobia! The TV show of Stephen King's "It" forever reinforced a childhood abhorrence of them.  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

I've never seen "It".

Is it really all that it's cracked up to be?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:49:45 AM »

It was scarey to me. But then if you start with the ingredient of clownphobia in the first place, it can only go to hell in a handcart from there. Not sure that it would have much impact on a normal person's pysche!  laugh

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »

Costumes would be unprofessional.

I could see allowing them to wear halloween themed scrubs or wearing pins on their uniforms or something along those lines that would not violate any health or safety issues.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »

It was scarey to me. But then if you start with the ingredient of clownphobia in the first place, it can only go to hell in a handcart from there. Not sure that it would have much impact on a normal person's pysche!  laugh
A girl in my high school swore that watching "It" traumatized her. To make fun of her, my teacher drew a clown picture on the blackboard and she started crying (an 18 year old notorious tough girl at that).

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »

Dear Tallitot,

Why don't they just dress up like Dr's, nurses, orderlies and so on according to their job.  Subtle.

love,
elephant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: