OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antimension  (Read 2064 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: October 11, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »

Obviously, the antimension has the signature of the local bishop. What happens, for example, if the bishop dies (let's say on Saturday). Can the same antimension be used for Liturgy the next day? Or, is there a period when no antimension is used?

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »

Second question: Does antimensions have to contain relics?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

Obviously, the antimension has the signature of the local bishop. What happens, for example, if the bishop dies (let's say on Saturday). Can the same antimension be used for Liturgy the next day? Or, is there a period when no antimension is used?

In my Church (Byzantine Catholic) we use the old Antimension until the new bishop can consecrates new ones.  When the bishop is ready we have to send the old antimenisa in so the relics can be removed and placed in the new antimensia so there is a period (one or two Sundays) where there is no antimenisa or the priests use their personal ones if they have them. Since the altars often have relics in them as well and are consecrated this brief period of one or two Sundays without antimensia is done by ecomomia.  Whether this would be allowed in Orthodox jurisdiction I don't know.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

Second question: Does antimensions have to contain relics?
I remember reading that if the altar had relics in it, it was not an absolute neccesity for the antimension but I don't remember if this was an Orthodox or Greek Catholic publication.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »

I'm unsure what happens between antimensia in the Orthodox Church. Very interesting question, though, as I've always heard that an antimens is required...even with a consecrated altar.

As for what happens when the bishop retires or reposes: my parish is in the OCA Diocese of the South. Our bishop, Archbishop Dmitri of Blessed Memory, retired in 2008 and reposed not long ago. My parish still uses the antimens that he assigned to our parish, as no permanent bishop has been elected to succeed him.

Also, I do believe it is required for all antimens to have relics. I believe that's the point, actually. IIRC, they were originally designed for military use so that chaplains could set up and serve the Liturgy on the battlefield, and then move on.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:50:21 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:33 PM »

Traditionally Antimension are consecrated when a new altar is consecrated. There is often a period of using the old Antimension before a new one can be consecrated by the new bishop.

The requirement for the relic inside the Antimension is of the Russian tradition. In the rest of the Orthodox world you only find a relic in the Antimension when it is to be used on a non-consecrated altar.

Joseph
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

The requirement for the relic inside the Antimension is of the Russian tradition. In the rest of the Orthodox world you only find a relic in the Antimension when it is to be used on a non-consecrated altar.

Not quite. Irrespective of local tradition, the Antimension always contains a relic. The word means instead of the table (anti- and mensa). In Greek tradition, the Eiliton, which does not bear a relic, is used if the church altar is already consecrated. If the altar is not yet consecrated, or a DL is served outside a church, then an Antimension is mandatory.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:02:48 AM »

I've never heard that anything changes in regard to the Antimitsion when a bishop resigns or resposes.  In my parish, when Bishop Maximos of Pittsburgh became the diocesan hierarch in 1979, after the charter change, he did not issue new antimitsia to replace those issued previously by Archbishop Iakovos, but antimitsia with his signature were issued to new priests in our diocese.  Metropolitan Maximos retired last month, Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit is our Locum Tenens and he did not issue new antimitsia.  I did notice, in the GOAA's Archdiocesan District, some time after Archbishop Spyridon had been enthroned and during his tenure, he issued new antimitsia to the priests of the (Direct) Archdiocesan District, the priests who are directly under him, but it was quite a bit of time after his enthronement, two years perhaps.  When Archbishop Demetrios was enthroned, he promptly provided new antimitsia to the clergy of the Archdiocesan District soon after his enthronement, at a ceremony at the Archdiocesan Cathedral.  My metropolis is currently widowed, so we'll see after the enthronement of the new metropolitan, if he issues new antimitsia.

Aren't antimitsia prepared during a church consecretion?  If so, how could a new diocesan bishop issue new antimitsia until he has consecrated a church?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 04:12:56 AM »

Aren't antimitsia prepared during a church consecretion?  If so, how could a new diocesan bishop issue new antimitsia until he has consecrated a church?

Rites exist for consecration of antimensia both during the consecration of a church, and separate to it.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »

I've never heard that anything changes in regard to the Antimitsion when a bishop resigns or resposes.  In my parish, when Bishop Maximos of Pittsburgh became the diocesan hierarch in 1979, after the charter change, he did not issue new antimitsia to replace those issued previously by Archbishop Iakovos, but antimitsia with his signature were issued to new priests in our diocese.  Metropolitan Maximos retired last month, Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit is our Locum Tenens and he did not issue new antimitsia.  I did notice, in the GOAA's Archdiocesan District, some time after Archbishop Spyridon had been enthroned and during his tenure, he issued new antimitsia to the priests of the (Direct) Archdiocesan District, the priests who are directly under him, but it was quite a bit of time after his enthronement, two years perhaps.  When Archbishop Demetrios was enthroned, he promptly provided new antimitsia to the clergy of the Archdiocesan District soon after his enthronement, at a ceremony at the Archdiocesan Cathedral.  My metropolis is currently widowed, so we'll see after the enthronement of the new metropolitan, if he issues new antimitsia.

It is my understanding that ACROD follows the practice in line with that described by Basil. I remember that Bishop, later Metropolitan Nicholas eventually provided new antimitsia to his clergy following his enthronement. Until his succesor is enthroned, his antimitsia will continue in use. I would imagine that in the interim, should the need arise for new antimitsion in any parish or with any priest, that the Locum Tenens would provide the same.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: