OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:13:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Dormition in Santa Rosa California  (Read 601 times) Average Rating: 0
Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« on: October 11, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »

Hello....is anyone familiar with the church of the Holy Dormition in Santa Rosa California?
They are in the same Bulgarian Diocese as the Skete I attend here in Virginia...
I am headed out to San Francisco this week and my son is taking me up to wine country for a couple of days.  We are staying at a Hilton in Santa Rosa and I am hoping to attend Vespers at least on Saturday, maybe Liturgy Sunday....depending....

Would be interested in the dress code.....it's skirts and head coverings for me here in Virgina.  I went to their website and saw a lot of scarves tied under the chin...!  Any advice appreciated....especially since you guys gave me great advice about Saint John the Wonderworker at the ROCOR cathedral.  I will also try to email the Priest.....

Any other good Orthodox visits I should be making while in this area?

Thanks!  And PS...what in the world happened to Poppy?  Anyone know?  She just stopped posting........
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »

Hi Gypsy,

I was raised in Sonoma County, in which Santa Rosa is located (my hometown is Healdsburg, about 15 miles to the north). I never visited the Bulgarian church (only the OCA, St. Seraphim), but the pictures on the website seem pretty standard. You will notice if you go there that there are many Eritreans and Ethiopians (there are a lot of Ethiopians and Eritreans in Sonoma County since about 15-20 years ago, but no Oriental churches for them, so you will find them in the local EO churches). Perhaps this explains the somewhat more conservative dress code? (They don't seem too strict to me, but my sense of this is probably warped since I go to a Coptic church where I am the only non-Egyptian besides two Ethiopians, and Copts and Ethiopians alike are both quite conservative.)

You should definitely, definitely (definitely!) visit Fort Ross while you are in the area! This is not just my nostalgia for home talking, it really is great. Even my non-Orthodox friends love it. I have a good friend who is an elementary school teacher who brought her class (third graders). and even they loved it. I think every Orthodox person should visit there.  Smiley (Can you tell I'm proud of it? Hehe. And I'm not even Russian or EO.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:00:17 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Gypsy

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:57:08 AM »

Thanks so much Dzheremi...this is really helpful.

I am excited to visit and love seeing the different ways our faith is worked out.  Conservative is no problem for me either, in fact I deliberately decided to keep attending the Skete rather than the local OCA parishes as I prefer the conservative focus..the services are more lengthy but I like it that way.  Friends of mine that attend also have told me how some parishes shorten or leave out parts of the service for the sake of brevity...how awful! 

Fort Ross does look wonderful!  I will certainly try and get my son out there...it's going to be a challenge to fit everything in..we are there for two nights and his focus is food and wine....but he is always open to new experiences thank goodness!  The weather looks like it is going to be gorgeous!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »

Thanks so much Dzheremi...this is really helpful.

I am excited to visit and love seeing the different ways our faith is worked out.  Conservative is no problem for me either, in fact I deliberately decided to keep attending the Skete rather than the local OCA parishes as I prefer the conservative focus..the services are more lengthy but I like it that way.  Friends of mine that attend also have told me how some parishes shorten or leave out parts of the service for the sake of brevity...how awful! 

Fort Ross does look wonderful!  I will certainly try and get my son out there...it's going to be a challenge to fit everything in..we are there for two nights and his focus is food and wine....but he is always open to new experiences thank goodness!  The weather looks like it is going to be gorgeous!
I think I know one of the priests out there, Fr. Philip Tolbert. I met him back in July. Their liturgy would be very similar to a ROCOR liturgy.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Gypsy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

Thanks for the help!
I attended Divine Liturgy there this morning...what a lovely welcoming community!
I emailed the Priest before I went, so he was ready for me.

I was invited to Agape after the service, a yummy Eritrean meal...I was also blessed with Holy water as part of a blessing for Travelers...that was new to me.

The singing was a heavenly experience...they said they were missing their three lead sopranos!  I could not tell....the lady leading the choir had a beautiful voice, all the music was beautiful, though they used some tones I was not used to.  I did manage to follow along with most of it! 

I am not used to so many people...and so many Priests and Deacons!  I recommend visiting if  you are in the area, I so appreciated how very friendly everyone was, from the lady who explained some points about the service and the order of things, to everyone who came and talked to me!  What a holy  community!

Many Years to everyone at Holy Dormition!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: