OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: His name was Yeshua. Why call him different?  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »

The person of God that most people call Jesus, in Hebrew was called Yeshua.

Since the Greeks didn't have all the sounds (such as the SH) for his name in their alphabet, it was transliterated to "iesus".

Since we speak English and in English we can pronounce his full name as it was here on Earth, wouldn't it truly be better to address the person whom we call God by his name as even spoken by the disciples and Mary?

Thanks.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

It's actually Ge'ezus.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »

Why does it matter?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »

I go to the Greek Orthodox Church, not the Hebrew Orthodox Church, so no.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »

Why does it matter?

I honestly don't want to explain this in so much detail because I'm afraid things will digress.

Does your name matter?  Does your Family name matter?  Also you pray in his name (not exact name?) right?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »

You speak English though.  His name is Yeshua.

FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

My names is Tomás.  People call me Thomas.

I'm cool with it.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

My names is Tomás.  People call me Thomas.

I'm cool with it.

You are a very unique individual, but this is God.  His name is Yeshua, far different in pronunciation than Jesus.

Yeshuaisiam has been in violation of the following Forum rule: *Thread Commandeering -- Any poster may face discipline on the site if, in the consensus of the Adminstrative or moderatorial team, any individual poster habitually takes control of numerous threads by posting non-germane material in existing discussions, providing irrelevant observations or points, or continually bringing up the same point in numerous threads." Consequently, Yeshuiaisiam is placed on moderation for 99 days. If Yeshuaisiam violates the rule that I just cited once again, he may be muted or banned.

Second Chance, October 24, 2011

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:16:44 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

Because Bible was written in Greek and Judaization is heresy.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »

You are a very unique individual, but this is God.  His name is Yeshua, far different in pronunciation than Jesus.

If it was important God would have sent a prophet to tell the Greeks how to do it properly.

J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »

Since we speak English and in English we can pronounce his full name as it was here on Earth, wouldn't it truly be better to address the person whom we call God by his name as even spoken by the disciples and Mary?

Mary? Surely you mean Maryam? And do you call Jesus "God"? That isn't the Hebrew word, it is?

IC XC
NI KA
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »

Again?

Roll Eyes

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »

I'm either experience deja vu or we've already talked about this. We don't say YWH either or pray, "Gods" since Elohim is plural. It really hasn't been an issue for anyone until a thread appeared on OCN.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »

Since the Greeks didn't have all the sounds (such as the SH) for his name in their alphabet, it was transliterated to "iesus".

Since we speak English and in English we can pronounce his full name
Oh?  How is your 'ayn?  Oh, I forget: since the English don't have all the sounds for His (btw, your capitalization key broken?) in their alphabet, it is transliterated "'", or in the Aramaic alphabet (which Hebrew uses) ע.  Not that it matters, as very few English speakers can pronounce His full name.

as it was here on Earth, wouldn't it truly be better to address the person whom we call God by Hhis name as even spoken by the disciples and Mary?
No.  Which pseudo-scholar told you otherwise?

Thanks.
No thanks.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »

You speak English though.  His name is Yeshua.
Not in English it's not.  It's "Jesus."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Thanks.

That is an oversimplification of the facts of history and etymology.  Let me ask you this, since you speak English why don't you call Jesus Joshua as would be the most literal example of your deductions?

The Church has preserved "Ieyesus Kiristos" as the proper, international and universal form of His name, and we are not ones to argue.  I used to fall into this ideology of "Yeshua" but that was when I was running with a lot of Black Hebrew Israelites and honestly, those folks are just doing it to spite people.  We're not Jews, we don't speak Hebrew, and our Bibles are all based upon Greek translations, even in the Old Testament Septuagint, and so we use Ieyesus Kiristos. If in your heart you feel the need to call Him Yeshua that is fine, but why be so dogmatic against us, as if over a billion Christians could somehow all be just merely duped? As if the Holy Spirit hadn't been strong enough to speak across thousands of years to keep His name with us?

The answer to your question is that there is no better or more valid way to address God in any language, that kind of philosophy is for superstitious folks or Kabbalist Masons Wink

I'm either experience deja vu or we've already talked about this. We don't say YWH either or pray, "Gods" since Elohim is plural. It really hasn't been an issue for anyone until a thread appeared on OCN.

thats not entirely fair for two reasons (a) no body is supposed to say YVWH Wink and (b) in the Church we precisely emphasize the plurality of the Elohim and Theos in the Greek because this is the instance of the Holy Trinity saturating the language of the Old Testament.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:03:52 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »

Wouldn't it also be better to dress in the clothing worn by the disciples and Mary? Or better yet, perhaps we could speak Canaanite proto-Hebrew to get back to that original divine pronunciation.

Since we speak English and in English we can pronounce his full name
Oh?  How is your 'ayn? 
I was waiting for something like this to be pointed out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:27:13 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 08:35:01 PM »

Oh?  How is your 'ayn?

He didn't write Yeshua', so he's clearly a heretic himself.

He'll probably refer you to one of those silly Hebrew pronunciation guides that tells you "'ayn' is pronounced 'a' like in 'cat'."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »

Locked for review by the Moderatorial Team. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: