OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:29:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lutheran theologian says aliens can be believers  (Read 4684 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

Wouldn't it be ironic if the aliens, on whose appearance some atheists put their best hopes of demoralizing Christianity once and for all, said they were afraid of contacting humans directly out of religious respect? "You are the species through which our prophets said the whole multiverse is saved. For us you are a sacred race. We could not simply come and touch the temple where the Creator dwells physically without fear and humility. This entire planet is an altar."
So you're saying that the Magi were aliens?

I think the comparison is valid. The Magi, though pagan Zoroastrians, were brought by their own belief system to worship Christ. They are now saints on our calendar! As we sing at Christmas, "Those who worshiped the stars were taught by the stars to adore Thee, the Sun of Righteousness and to know Thee, the Orient from on High, O Lord, glory to Thee!" Smiley

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

Wouldn't it be ironic if the aliens, on whose appearance some atheists put their best hopes of demoralizing Christianity once and for all, said they were afraid of contacting humans directly out of religious respect? "You are the species through which our prophets said the whole multiverse is saved. For us you are a sacred race. We could not simply come and touch the temple where the Creator dwells physically without fear and humility. This entire planet is an altar."
So you're saying that the Magi were aliens?

I think the comparison is valid. The Magi, though pagan Zoroastrians, were brought by their own belief system to worship Christ. They are now saints on our calendar! As we sing at Christmas, "Those who worshiped the stars were taught by the stars to adore Thee, the Sun of Righteousness and to know Thee, the Orient from on High, O Lord, glory to Thee!" Smiley

We have just found the patron saints of the converted aliens. Cheesy

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »

Very C.S. Lewis. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2011, 03:28:13 AM »

The One Incarnation from Planet Earth can save the whole Universe. And so we are just the first fruits of that process.

To be honest, I really don't understand why some are bothered by these questions.

The Incarnation connects not only us(humans), but it also connects the whole entire Universe as well. We are made up of everything that exist in the Universe and so through us God can heal the whole entire creation itself.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:30:00 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:04 AM »

The One Incarnation from Planet Earth can save the whole Universe. And so we are just the first fruits of that process.

To be honest, I really don't understand why some are bothered by these questions.

The Incarnation connects not only us(humans), but it also connects the whole entire Universe as well. We are made up of everything that exist in the Universe and so through us God can heal the whole entire creation itself.

Because it's easy to get comfortable with beliefs. You can become comfortable with the idea that Paul's hanky or Peter's shadow healed people, or that God decided to become one of us so as to save us. But when you start introducing hypotheticals like space aliens from distant solar systems and asking about how Christianity relates to them? When you say things like "this is the faith that established the universe"? It puts an exclamation point on the complete and outrageous absurdity of Christian beliefs. The beliefs aren't necessarily wrong just because they're absurd, but I for one don't have the [whatever] required to simply go along with what Christianity teaches as though it makes perfect sense.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2011, 05:20:42 AM »

Because it's easy to get comfortable with beliefs. You can become comfortable with the idea that Paul's hanky or Peter's shadow healed people, or that God decided to become one of us so as to save us. But when you start introducing hypotheticals like space aliens from distant solar systems and asking about how Christianity relates to them? When you say things like "this is the faith that established the universe"? It puts an exclamation point on the complete and outrageous absurdity of Christian beliefs. The beliefs aren't necessarily wrong just because they're absurd, but I for one don't have the [whatever] required to simply go along with what Christianity teaches as though it makes perfect sense.

It makes perfect sense to me! And these things aren't just mere beliefs! They are actual real historical events as well!

Paul's hanky, when it comes to healing people is not just a mere belief!
Peter's shadow in healing someone is not just a mere belief!
The Incarnation is not just a mere belief!

They are actual real events as well!

Also, the fact that we say "this is the faith that established the universe" should give us clues that this faith is not just for Planet Earth alone! No, it's for all creation! It's for the whole entire Universe as well!

This is why I don't understand why it's a problem to some! To me, it can only be a problem for those who don't really believe what they are suppose to believe in.

But if you believe in what you are suppose to believe in then how can it be a problem?

I also don't understand why some may feel that there needs to be multiple Incarnations on every habitable organic planet in the Universe.

No! That's not necessary!

The whole Universe and everything in it can be saved /healed by just one Incarnation......on one Planet.

Our understanding of Salvation is not forensic, and so for us the Incarnation actually means something. It actually has meaning.  And since the Church is mysteriously united/connected with Christ's Resurrected Body........well, some of these statements that you see as being absurd, well, I see them as being beautiful and they make perfect sense!

Yeah, those statements might seem absurd from a purely naturalistic perspective, but from a Theological perspective I see them as being beautiful! And I see no reason why such issues should be a problem! Especially when our theology in regards to salvation extends to the rest of creation itself.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:40:17 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »

It is best not to indulge in these idle (and potentially idolatrous) speculations. The simple answer is that we do not know whether or not there is "intelligent life" outside of our earth. I agree with those who have said that if alien life does exist, then the Cross is sufficient to redeeem these lives as well.

But too much interest in these matters can distract us from Christ. If ostensible evidence for alien life is proferred by the learned of this world, then we should ignore it just as we should ignore dreams and visions. I can just imagine how Christians could suddenly become concerned about the "plan of salvation" for aliens while neglecting the dire spiritual and social needs here on earth.

Let us heed the two great commandments of Our Lord: Love God and love our neighbor. If these "Martians" do indeed exist, then God will take care of them. Therefore, let us not be distracted or deceived by such exotic and other-worldly intrigues.

That's just my two cents.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »

It is best not to indulge in these idle (and potentially idolatrous) speculations. The simple answer is that we do not know whether or not there is "intelligent life" outside of our earth. I agree with those who have said that if alien life does exist, then the Cross is sufficient to redeeem these lives as well.

But too much interest in these matters can distract us from Christ. If ostensible evidence for alien life is proferred by the learned of this world, then we should ignore it just as we should ignore dreams and visions. I can just imagine how Christians could suddenly become concerned about the "plan of salvation" for aliens while neglecting the dire spiritual and social needs here on earth.

Let us heed the two great commandments of Our Lord: Love God and love our neighbor. If these "Martians" do indeed exist, then God will take care of them. Therefore, let us not be distracted or deceived by such exotic and other-worldly intrigues.

That's just my two cents.

Selam

We all know that the churches in our heavily secularized world will be pressured to deny their own faith in order to accept the idea of organic life on other planets.

We all know that this is what's going to happen. All I'm saying is, we don't have to deny our traditional beliefs in order to accept whatever is out there in the Universe.

I am posting these ideas for a reason! People need to know that Orthodox Theology is not the same as some of the more legal modals of the west and so we should look at this issue from the bosom of our own Theology/tradition.

I want these ideas to get out there! For people need to know these things!

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »

It makes perfect sense to me! And these things aren't just mere beliefs! They are actual real historical events as well!

Paul's hanky healing people is not just a mere belief!
Peter's shadow healing someone is not just a mere belief!
The Incarnation is not just a mere belief!

They are actual real events as well!
We have no independent historical documentation of these things, we can only believe in them in virtue of accepting already Christianity.
I also don't understand why some may feel that there needs to be multiple Incarnations on every habitable organic planet in the Universe.

No! That's not necessary!

The whole Universe and everything in it can be saved /healed by just one Incarnation......on one Planet.

Our understanding of Salvation is not forensic, and so for us the Incarnation actually means something. It actually has meaning.  And since the Church is mysteriously united/connected with Christ's Resurrected Body........well, some of these statements that you see as being absurd, well, I see them as being beautiful and they make perfect sense!

Yeah, those statements might seem absurd from a purely naturalistic perspective, but from a Theological perspective I see them as being beautiful! And I see no reason why such issues should be a problem!

Quote from: Hebrews 2:14-18
Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.
Angels are intelligent, noetic beings and yet the author of Hebrews makes such a big deal about Jesus being made like His brethren in contrast to angels.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

My question is, what if the aliens don't die?  I mean...how would death by death affect them?   angel

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »

My question is, what if the aliens don't die?  I mean...how would death by death affect them?   angel

I'm sure that in our fallen nature, we would find a way to make them die.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:28:58 PM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »

^ Or die trying.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

^ Or die trying.

Most likely both.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

My question is, what if the aliens don't die?  I mean...how would death by death affect them?   angel

Do stars and black wholes die? If so then they die too! No matter how long they are able to live. The whole Universe is decaying. We just all decay at different rates!

If we were living around the time of Adam and Eve (yes, I believe they were real people! As any christian should) then we would think they were immortals for they were able to live for a very long long long long time. But they weren't immortals, they were just dying at a slower rate than us.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:02:44 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

Do stars and black wholes die? If so then they die too! No matter how long they are able to live. The whole Universe is decaying. We just all decay at different rates!

If we were living around the time of Adam and Eve (yes, I believe they were real people! As any christian should) then we would think they were immortals for they were able to live for a very long long long long time. But they weren't immortals, they were just dying at a slower rate than us.
Are you suggesting that death (of stars and black holes) existed before Adam and Eve's sin?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »

Are you suggesting that death (of stars and black holes) existed before Adam and Eve's sin?

hmm, good question! I don't know how to respond to that at this point in time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:45:55 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2011, 12:41:30 AM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:41:44 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »

Can things which are not self-aware truly die?

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

Can things which are not self-aware truly die?
Or life forms, for that matter. I don't think the Fathers called metallurgy the taking of a life (although I guess the wood burned would count).

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »

Bishop of Xyykiti is purely titular. There hasn't been a functional diocese there since the devastation following the replicator wars. I think his actual see is somewhere in AZ.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:24:43 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »

Bishop of Xyykiti is purely titular. There hasn't been a functional diocese there since the devastation following the replicator wars. I think his actual see is somewhere in AZ.

We all know that his grace was only given that titular see because of a book he wrote for the aliens of Omicron Persei 8 explaining Orthodoxy to them. I hear that he'll be made into a titular Metropolitan soon, while still serving as an auxiliary bishop.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2011, 03:20:06 AM »

Awesome.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »

laugh
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »

We all know that his grace was only given that titular see because of a book he wrote for the aliens of Omicron Persei 8 explaining Orthodoxy to them. I hear that he'll be made into a titular Metropolitan soon, while still serving as an auxiliary bishop.

LOL, Oh you guys are killing me!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »

I'm sure that in our fallen nature, we would find a way to make them die.
How true!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »

When I think of the Incarnation, the fact that God became Man, that by itself transfigures all matter in the cosmos, everything even the angels have been able to see the unseen, to touch the untouchable, that speaks of the transfiguration of matter to its ultimate potential. Salvation for All cosmos that is tide to the  Creation and Salvation of Man, its king and its priest. I do not think that matter remains the same after the Incarnation. I wont go any further... though this thread certainly triggers some interesting points to think about.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »

Shocked

Can they then be absorbed into another jurisdiction, or should they be granted their own national charter and everything?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »

Autocephaly for the cephalopods!
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »

Can they then be absorbed into another jurisdiction, or should they be granted their own national charter and everything?

That will depend on how they resolve their jurisdictional issues. Their native year is only 4/5ths as long as our year, but their days are longer which means they have more services per day. Given the slipperiness of time over vast distances this was never a problem, they just fit the Church year into their natural cycle and doubled up saint's days where appropriate. But now displaced they struggle with our short days and long year and adjusting their calendar to ours.  It has been a divisive issue.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »

How has their valiant struggle against the damnable heresy of Mhsjdkeonjpleism been going?
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »

How has their valiant struggle against the damnable heresy of Mhsjdkeonjpleism been going?

That heresy has died down a bit. It is no longer widely believed that Christ was capable of mhsjdkeonjpleic willing.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:09:58 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »

I <3 you guys.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »

That will depend on how they resolve their jurisdictional issues. Their native year is only 4/5ths as long as our year, but their days are longer which means they have more services per day. Given the slipperiness of time over vast distances this was never a problem, they just fit the Church year into their natural cycle and doubled up saint's days where appropriate. But now displaced they struggle with our short days and long year and adjusting their calendar to ours.  It has been a divisive issue.

Not to mention those who want to sneak in the heresy of time travel to the mix!!

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

Ok ladies and gentlemen.  Enough with the Random Topics issues.  Either you discuss the OP or you will be warned.  While this HAS been fun, you can either start your own thread, or continue this in the Random Topics thread. 

police police police police police police police police police police police

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: Elvis lives extraterrestrials Stargate St. Zork 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: