OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persecution of Copts in Egypt  (Read 24787 times) Average Rating: 5
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #360 on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »

Horrible details of attacks on Copts in Libya, including torture and killings for refusing to convert to Islam:

http://www.aina.org/news/20131201175026.htm
Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

Lord have mercy, and repose the souls of our brave brothers.
Pharaoh714

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

Horrible details of attacks on Copts in Libya, including torture and killings for refusing to convert to Islam:

http://www.aina.org/news/20131201175026.htm
Lord have mercy!

May Christ rest their souls in everlasting peace, and count them with the Martyrs and confessors.

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #363 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »

(AINA) -- Two unidentified gunmen riding motorcycles opened fire on guests exiting the Virgin Church, located in Warrag, Giza. The gunmen fired automatic weapons as the guests exited the church after attending a wedding ceremony. According to Reverend Justus, the pastor of the church, one man, one women and one 8 year old girl were killed, and 18 were injured.

http://www.aina.org/news/20131020182916.htm

Imagine a mother forgiving and praying for those who killed her daughter!  A mother who asks all Egyptians to pray that God enlighten their hearts, that they may repent, who wishes no evil thing be done to them, but that they repent to God, and to have their hearts enlightened by God.  This actually brought a tear to my eye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQj-qCt2wNU

Translation highlights of the Mother of Mariam Nabil, the martyred 12-year-old girl shot in the Holy Virgin Church in Warraq, Egypt on October 20, 2013:

"I pray that God enlighten their eyes to the truth...

...I know my daughter is with me.  She may be gone with flesh, but her spirit is still alive, comforting and assuring me.

...It's truly a blessing to have someone in heaven.  They do nothing but send us to heaven quicker.  What they think is jihad is really a blessing for us.  We'll all die one day, but what they do in the end makes it quicker for us to go to heaven
I wanted her to be a nun in Convent of the Holy Virgin.  The fact that she died in front of the Church of the Holy Virgin is a coincidence...but now she's for the Virgin.
I want to tell them who killed my daughter, I saw her!  She's beautiful, and I've never seen her this beautiful before!  ... You took away my chance to hug her and love her, so I asked her and I asked God to see her.  And God granted me that I may see her.  She was beautiful...white robe, long hair, light all around.  ... I was assured.
Host:  Truthfully, you have an amazing sense of forgiveness for many of us who do not understand this forgiveness! ... usually people in your situation wish death upon these killers, and in fact, to kill them themselves!
Mother: I don't want to kill them.  I don't want them to die.  God forbid anything bad happen to them.  God forbid they die before they repent.  I desire that they repent before they get into the hands of our Lord.
The door of repentance is open.  We always pray to God, "Oh Lord, if there's anything evil in us, please clean it away!" I wish them likewise.
One last thing:  I want the Egyptian people to know that we have greater weapons than the weapons used by the killers.  We have prayers and fastings!  No greater weapons than these!"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »

wow, she is awesome, like our saints of old.
may God reward her and give her and all the family and friends great comfort and peace.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #365 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:38 AM »

What a wonderful Christian woman!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #366 on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »

Amazing. These Coptic Christians are an inspiration for the whole world to turn to Christ.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #367 on: December 13, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

New Jersey: Muslim Brotherhood Attack on Coptic Bishop
By Raymond Ibrahim on December 12, 2013 in From The Arab World, Muslim Persecution of Christians

Followers of the Muslim Brotherhood reportedly tried to assault Coptic Bishop Paul (“Boula” in Arabic), who represents the Coptic Church in Egypt’s 50-member constitution committee, during his visit to the inauguration of Coptic Bishop David in New Jersey.

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/from-the-arab-world/new-jersey-muslim-brotherhood-attack-on-coptic-bishop/

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

thank God they didn't seem to get far enough inside the building.
bishop boula is a lovely, Godly man who i have seen when he visited uk.
may God protect him and all Christians.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #369 on: December 14, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

One of the bravest Egyptians ever, a great saint in the sense of the word:

Muhammad Hijāzī, born in Port Said in 1982, converted to Christianity in 1998 at the age of 16. Now 31, he was arrested on December 4, 2013 in the governorate of Minya on charges of espionage, inciting sectarian tension through evangelism, and unlicensed photography and journalism.

In 2007 Hijāzī became the first Egyptian convert to Christianity to petition the state to change the religion field on his ID card, and has changed his name to Bishoy Armia Boulos. According to his former lawyer, Mamdūh Nakhlah, had anyone else but Hijāzī been working in Minya, no charges would have been filed.

http://arabwestreport.info/year-2013/week-50/7-christian-convert-arrested-egypt-details-and-background

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #370 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

Absolutely. I've followed the Mohammed Hegazy case for the last several years. What a brave, brave man. A true beacon of light for us all. If I remember correctly, his wife also converted to Christianity and they have a daughter, so some people in Egypt want to put pressure on them by saying that if the daughter does not choose Islam by age 10 (or some such), she will be executed together with her parents. Sick. May God preserve the entire family.

Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »

http://www.light-dark.net/topic/24675

Bullets fired from a car and targeting St. Mary's Church, the residence of Anba Domatius, Bishop of October 6 City, in Cairo. The security officer, Muhamed Taha, in charge of protecting the church was killed in the attack. May God have mercy on his soul. No other casualities occured.   

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »

Bullets fired from a car and targeting St. Mary's Church, the residence of Anba Domatius, Bishop of October 6 City, in Cairo. The security officer, Muhamed Taha, in charge of protecting the church was killed in the attack. May God have mercy on his soul. No other casualities occured.   
He though a "Samaritan", but more than a Good Samaritan, gave his life for the Church.  May his memory be eternal in the Lord!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:32:46 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »

He though a "Samaritan", but more than a Good Samaritan, gave his life for the Church.  May his memory be eternal in the Lord!

Ya rab. 

The officer fired back with his gun, and managed to hit one of the five criminals who carried the attack, but it was not enough confronting of two autmatic gun machines as per the eye witnesses. 

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »

The martyrdom of a Syrian Family in Alexandria, Egypt:

On Monday, January 17, 2014, A Syrian family residing in El-Ibrahimia district of Alexandria, Egypt, was killed by Islamists. The family  consists of the father, Youssef Nakhla, working in tourism in Sharm El-Sheikh, and the mother, Mona Nakhla, a 4-year old child, Michel Youssef and his young aunt, Abeer Hanna, have been stabbed to death and multilated alive. Their home was put on fire in an attempt to cover for the crime details.

The police statement mentions that the family was loyal to Bashar EL-Asaad. Egyptian media did not mention that they are Syrian but stated their Christianity.

Pray for us , family of martyrs.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »

Pray for us , family of martyrs.

Amen!

Christian Syrian Family Slaughtered in Egypt
by OCP on FEBRUARY 19, 2014

A Christian Syrian family living in Alexandria, Egypt, was barbarically stabbed to death Monday in their home in the al-Ibrahimya neighborhood, Arabic media are reporting.

The family consisted of a father, 44, his wife, 35, their 6-year-old son, Michael, and the wife’s brother.

After the murders, the house, where the family had been living for years, was set on fire by the murderers before being put out by authorities.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2014/02/christian-syrian-family-slaughtered-in-egypt/

New Martyr St Michael Youssef:

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Pray for us new martyred family of Christ!

Stavro
High Elder

« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »

Seven Copts were killed in Bani Ghazi, Libya, by islamic militias.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/24/us-libya-egyptians-idUSBREA1N13V20140224

It is the only link in English by a known news agency that google came up with.

The seven Copts were from Upper Egypt, Suhag, and were working in construction. Their bodies was found on a beach in Bani Ghazi, killed in an execution style.

Anba Macarius, general bishop of Menia, Egypt, shed some light on the incident. The youngest of the Egyptian Christians was 16 years, and a muslim Libyan eye witness to the massacre has said that the murders have given the martyrs the ultimatum to convert to Islam or be killed. The choose martyrdom and should be considered martyrs.

In the funeral, their families and the congregations accused the MB and their closest ally, the US, of the killings.   

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #378 on: February 28, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »

Seven Copts were killed in Bani Ghazi, Libya, by islamic militias.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/24/us-libya-egyptians-idUSBREA1N13V20140224

It is the only link in English by a known news agency that google came up with.

The seven Copts were from Upper Egypt, Suhag, and were working in construction. Their bodies was found on a beach in Bani Ghazi, killed in an execution style.

Anba Macarius, general bishop of Menia, Egypt, shed some light on the incident. The youngest of the Egyptian Christians was 16 years, and a muslim Libyan eye witness to the massacre has said that the murders have given the martyrs the ultimatum to convert to Islam or be killed. The choose martyrdom and should be considered martyrs.

In the funeral, their families and the congregations accused the MB and their closest ally, the US, of the killings.   

May the Seven Martyrs of Libya intercede for us at the Throne of God.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »

Lord have mercy.
may God give us all strength to stand firm and spread His love whatever the cost.
may God give strength and mercy to all those in east europe too.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »

A Coptic woman, Mary George, was reportedely stabbed to death by pro-Morsi supporters in the same area. 

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/97767/Egypt/Politics-/Brotherhood-and-police-clashes-leave--dead-in-Ain-.aspx
(WARNING: contains some politic information; I'm only addressing the fact that in this political and volatile situation, yet another Copt was brutally murdered by Islamists).

Holy New Martyr, Mary George, may your blessed memory be eternal and may you pray for us!

Lord, have mercy!

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #381 on: March 29, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »

A Coptic woman, Mary George, was reportedely stabbed to death by pro-Morsi supporters in the same area. 

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/97767/Egypt/Politics-/Brotherhood-and-police-clashes-leave--dead-in-Ain-.aspx
(WARNING: contains some politic information; I'm only addressing the fact that in this political and volatile situation, yet another Copt was brutally murdered by Islamists).

Holy New Martyr, Mary George, may your blessed memory be eternal and may you pray for us!

Lord, have mercy!

More info from copticworld:

Mary Sameh George, a 25-year-old, was leaving church near Ain Shams when her car was stopped by angry Muslim Brotherhood protesters (allege Coptic officials and the government).

Mary was dragged from her car, beaten, stabbed 16 times and then strangled to death. Her car was then set on fire.

https://www.copticworld.org/articles/3358/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:17:56 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »

Holy Martyr Mary, pray for us!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »

May she rest in peace.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #384 on: March 29, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »

May God repose her and may she pray for us before His Throne.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

I'm sorry if this is an insensitive question, but given how frequently these killings happen and the reasons for which they happen, other than the popular acclamation of such people as martyrs and saints, has the Church given any thought to proclaiming them as such formally?  Or is there a desire to wait or otherwise not rock the boat? 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »

I'm sorry if this is an insensitive question, but given how frequently these killings happen and the reasons for which they happen, other than the popular acclamation of such people as martyrs and saints, has the Church given any thought to proclaiming them as such formally?  Or is there a desire to wait or otherwise not rock the boat? 
Usually for religious killings like these, a prominent bishop presides over the funeral, giving a sermons of what is practically the silent agreement among what any other bishop or the patriarch himself would say, that these are martyrs, and how blessed they are that they are praying for us now.  It's not like there is an official Synodal proclamation, but every time this happens, even the late pope HH Pope Shenouda would say something very similar when these killings occur.  In a way, it's semi-formal.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »

A tangent about the EU, the US, and hell was split off and put into the private politics forum. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,57618.new.html#top

If anyone wants to be admitted into the private forum, they can pm Fr. George for admission.

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church persecution martyr 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: