OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:11:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persecution of Copts in Egypt  (Read 27384 times) Average Rating: 5
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:20 PM »

Wow! Glory to God!

"The Egyptian defense minister has ordered the repair and reconstruction of all churches that suffered damage in the country’s violent demonstrations... 'The Egyptian defense minister ordered the engineering department of the armed forces to swiftly repair all the affected churches, in recognition of the historical and national role played by our Coptic brothers,' read a statement that aired on Egyptian television. Bishop Mousa thanked Sisi for his efforts to repair the damaged churches. 'We thank Col. Gen. Sisi for commissioning the brave Egyptian armed forces to rebuild the places of worship damaged during the recent events,' Bishop Mousa said on Twitter...."
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/16/egyptian-military-chief-vows-to-rebuild-coptic-churches/

Silly Stars
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »

Wow! Glory to God!

"The Egyptian defense minister has ordered the repair and reconstruction of all churches that suffered damage in the country’s violent demonstrations... 'The Egyptian defense minister ordered the engineering department of the armed forces to swiftly repair all the affected churches, in recognition of the historical and national role played by our Coptic brothers,' read a statement that aired on Egyptian television. Bishop Mousa thanked Sisi for his efforts to repair the damaged churches. 'We thank Col. Gen. Sisi for commissioning the brave Egyptian armed forces to rebuild the places of worship damaged during the recent events,' Bishop Mousa said on Twitter...."
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/16/egyptian-military-chief-vows-to-rebuild-coptic-churches/

I hope they are able to follow through with the promise.  I just found a list of churches, organizations, businesses, homes, etc. attacked or destroyed as of last night.  It seems that in addition to Coptic Orthodox churches and institutions, they also went after Catholics, Protestants, and at least one Greek Orthodox church:

Three churches and six buildings at the monastery of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am in Dalga, Minya, Upper Egypt
The church of Mar-Mina in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya
The bishopric church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Sohag, Upper Egypt
The church of the Holy Virgin in Nazla, Fayoum, Lower Egypt
The Baptist church in Beni-Mazar, Minya
Coptic-owned shops in Gumhouriya Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt
The Good Shepherd School in Suez
The Fransiscan School in Suez
The Holy Bible Society in Fayoum
The church of al-Amir Tawadros (St Theodore) in Fayoum
The church of the Holy Virgin in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya
The Catholic church of St Mark, Minya
The Jesuit church in Abu-Hilal, Minya
The church of Mar-Morqos (St Mark) and its community centre, Sohag
18 houses of Coptic families in Dalga, Minya, including the home of Father Angaelus Melek of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am’s
The Evangelical church on Nassara Street in Abu-Hilal, Minya
The church of Anba Moussa al-Aswad in Minya
Coptic-owned shops, pharmacies, and a doctor’s clinic in Minya
The Jesuit church in Minya (attacked, not burned)
The St Fatima Basilica in Cairo (attacked, not burned)
St Joseph’s School in Minya (attacked, not burned)
The Nile boat al-Dahabiya, owned by the Evangelical Church in Minya
Coptic-owned shops, pharmacy, and hotels on Karnak Street and Cleopatra Street in Luxor (attacked and looted)
The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Wasta (attacked)
The church of St Michael on Nemeis Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt
The Adventist church in Assiut; the pastor and his wife were both kidnapped
The Greek church in Suez
The church of Mar-Girgis in Assiut
Coptic houses on Qulta Street in Assiut attacked
The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Arish, North Sinai
The church of St Dimiana and the Evangelical church in the village of Zerbi in Fayoum
The offices of the Evangelical foundation in Minya, and those of Umm al-Nour in Beni-Mazar, Minya
The church of Anba Antonius in Kerdassa, Giza
The bishopric church in Etfeeh, Giza

The article this came from has more details of the attack, including how in one instance the attackers first managed to cut off the local water supply so the fires could not be put out.

http://orientale-lumen.blogspot.com/2013/08/egypt-list-of-christian-churches.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:33:47 PM by Salpy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »

Wow! Glory to God!

I hope they are able to follow through with the promise.  I just found a list of churches, organizations, businesses, homes, etc. attacked or destroyed as of last night.  It seems that in addition to Coptic Orthodox churches and institutions, they also went after Catholics, Protestants, and at least one Greek Orthodox church:

Three churches and six buildings at the monastery of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am in Dalga, Minya, Upper Egypt
The church of Mar-Mina in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya
The bishopric church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Sohag, Upper Egypt
The church of the Holy Virgin in Nazla, Fayoum, Lower Egypt
The Baptist church in Beni-Mazar, Minya
Coptic-owned shops in Gumhouriya Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt
The Good Shepherd School in Suez
The Fransiscan School in Suez
The Holy Bible Society in Fayoum
The church of al-Amir Tawadros (St Theodore) in Fayoum
The church of the Holy Virgin in the district of Abu-Hilal in the town of Minya
The Catholic church of St Mark, Minya
The Jesuit church in Abu-Hilal, Minya
The church of Mar-Morqos (St Mark) and its community centre, Sohag
18 houses of Coptic families in Dalga, Minya, including the home of Father Angaelus Melek of the Holy Virgin and Anba Abra’am’s
The Evangelical church on Nassara Street in Abu-Hilal, Minya
The church of Anba Moussa al-Aswad in Minya
Coptic-owned shops, pharmacies, and a doctor’s clinic in Minya
The Jesuit church in Minya (attacked, not burned)
The St Fatima Basilica in Cairo (attacked, not burned)
St Joseph’s School in Minya (attacked, not burned)
The Nile boat al-Dahabiya, owned by the Evangelical Church in Minya
Coptic-owned shops, pharmacy, and hotels on Karnak Street and Cleopatra Street in Luxor (attacked and looted)
The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Wasta (attacked)
The church of St Michael on Nemeis Street in Assiut, Upper Egypt
The Adventist church in Assiut; the pastor and his wife were both kidnapped
The Greek church in Suez
The church of Mar-Girgis in Assiut
Coptic houses on Qulta Street in Assiut attacked
The church of Mar-Girgis (St George) in Arish, North Sinai
The church of St Dimiana and the Evangelical church in the village of Zerbi in Fayoum
The offices of the Evangelical foundation in Minya, and those of Umm al-Nour in Beni-Mazar, Minya
The church of Anba Antonius in Kerdassa, Giza
The bishopric church in Etfeeh, Giza

The article this came from has more details of the attack, including how in one instance the attackers first managed to cut off the local water supply so the fires could not be put out.

http://orientale-lumen.blogspot.com/2013/08/egypt-list-of-christian-churches.html

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »

While it is not the usual persecution Copts face, and it was not targeted to Copts, it entails a confession and martyrdom of a Coptic solider who found himself in the midst of a terrorist attack.

Among the 25 Egyptian army soldiers murdered yesterday in Rafah, Sinai by Hamas / Jihad / Gamaa Islameya, there was one Coptic soldier named Mina.

The 24 muslim soldiers were killed execution style with a bullet to the back of the head, after having their hands and feet tied. May God have mercy on their souls and give their families comfort.

The Coptic solider, Mina, was not shot in head. He was bled to death slowly for over 20 hours. Pray for us, Mina !   

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »

The 24 muslim soldiers were killed execution style with a bullet to the back of the head, after having their hands and feet tied. May God have mercy on their souls and give their families comfort.

The Coptic solider, Mina, was not shot in head. He was bled to death slowly for over 20 hours. Pray for us, Mina !   

Amen!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »

I know all the screaming liberals hate him, but you realize Glenn Beck has been on top of this for awhile now.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

This is not Muslim vs Christian, this is the MB vs Egypt.

After Attacks, Rebuilding Coptic Churches in Minya, Egypt.
By Matt Bradley, August 20, 2013, 10:51 AM.

excerpt:

We went back alone a few minutes later without the guides. After asking around, we found a local Coptic Christian resident named Osama.

He laughed when we told him that we had been advised to steer clear of the neighborhood. He introduced us to his Muslim neighbors and said that despite the religious divisions, he had never experienced any real sectarian tension before last week.

To prove it, he said he had been one of five Christian men who had spent several hours defending the church from angry thugs during Wednesday’s violence.

During the fight, they were joined by five Muslim men from the neighborhood. They had come to defend the church, and to risk their lives in the effort.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2013/08/20/after-attacks-rebuilding-coptic-churches-in-minya-egyp/

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #322 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »

http://www.aina.org/news/20130826084354.htm

"In much of Egypt, security conditions are improving but not in Giza and Al Minya" says the priest.In this regard, Fr. Greiche reported the assault against a Coptic Orthodox monastery in a small village near Al Minya. "A group of people attacked the monastery and beat the monks. The police intervened but it was too late for the monks who were taken to hospital. One is still in hospital, the other was discharged". "It must be said that it is not always easy for the police to move in areas such as Minya, where Christians are always on the alert for the presence of various jihadist groups", said Fr. Greiche.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #323 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

The Christian Copts of Shubra al-Khaima, Egypt, are in a "state of panic and terror" as "a number of supporters of ousted President Muhammad Morsi have been placing markings on Christian homes in the area for [future] targeting."

Speaking anonymously, one Copt from the region told Veto News agency that they "recently noticed strange movements in the streets. When they went to inspect, they discovered large numbers of bearded men, who began to quicken their steps. They tried to catch up with them but couldn't. When they returned, they discovered "X" marks in black on the homes of Copts, separating them out [from Muslim homes]."

http://www.aina.org/news/20130830122840.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #324 on: August 31, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »

Video of a mob attacking a Coptic church, setting it on fire, and toppling the cross on top.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/30/video-from-egypt-shows-muslim-mob-attacking-christian-church-taking-down-cross/#

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #325 on: September 02, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »

CAIRO (AFP) -- Suspected Islamists on Sunday shot dead a Coptic Christian man in Egypt's restive Sinai peninsula where several extremist groups operate, security sources told AFP.

http://www.aina.org/news/20130902012317.htm

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »

In south Egypt, Islamists take over a town
By HAMZA HENDAWI— Sep. 6 2:42 AM EDT

DALGA, Egypt (AP) — The Coptic Orthodox priest would only talk to his visitor after hiding from the watchful eyes of the bearded Muslim outside, who sported a pistol bulging from under his robe.

So Father Yoannis moved behind a wall in the charred skeleton of an ancient monastery to describe how it was torched by Islamists and then looted when they took over this southern Egyptian town following the ouster of the country's president.

"The fire in the monastery burned intermittently for three days. The looting continued for a week. At the end, not a wire or an electric switch is left," Yoannis told The Associated Press. The monastery's 1,600-year-old underground chapel was stripped of ancient icons and the ground was dug up on the belief that a treasure was buried there.

"Even the remains of ancient and revered saints were disturbed and thrown around," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/south-egypt-islamists-take-over-town

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »

yahoo news also has this story.
may God have mercy on all those who suffer and may He continue to soften the hearts of their neighbours (many of who are impressed with the courage of the Christians and asking where they get it from).
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »

Across Egypt, piles of ash where church pews once stood

Anti-Christian attacks have swept through Egypt since Islamist leader Mohamed Morsi was ousted. Christian properties have been desecrated and reduced to rubble.

By Kristen Chick, Correspondent / September 12, 2013

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2013/0912/Across-Egypt-piles-of-ash-where-church-pews-once-stood-video

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »

The jizya tax is being imposed on Christians in some parts of Egypt, and two Copts have already been killed for refusing to pay it:

http://www.aina.org/news/20130913143703.htm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:37:05 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »

An Egyptian state-run human rights body has condemned sectarian attacks on Coptic Christians in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Minya.

The National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) issued a statement Monday condemning the attacks targeting Christians in Minya and stating that the "onslaught" proves that Christians are being intentionally targeted because of their religious beliefs.

According to the statement, the attacks included the burning and demolishing of Christian religious centres and Christians' homes and property. The assaults also included forced displacement, theft and the imposition of a "tax" on some Christian residents.

http://www.aina.org/news/20130917173541.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »

The recent attacks against Copts in Upper Egypt in the wake of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi's ouster were the largest in Egypt's modern history, a report published by the Egyptian Centre for Public Policy Studies (ECPPS) stated.  While there have been many attacks against churches reported since Morsi's removal from power on 3 July, the most comprehensive wave of attacks was triggered by the dispersal of the two main pro-Morsi sit-ins' in Cairo and Giza on 14 August, which left hundreds dead and thousands injured.

The ECPPS, a liberal Egyptian NGO, investigated the 14 August attacks on churches, Coptic associations, and Coptic-owned property, releasing their findings in a September report entitled "Oppressed under different regimes -- Egypt's Christians between sectarian violence and state negligence."

"On the morning of 14 August, residents of several Upper Egyptian cities and villages woke up to loud calls emanating from certain mosques to attack Copts whom they said aided the Egyptian police in waging a war on Islam and killing protesters in Cairo," ECPPS researcher Mohamed Abdel-Wahab announced during a press conference for the report on Monday.

Read the rest here:

http://www.aina.org/news/20130924150029.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #332 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »

Six Christians expelled from Egyptian village:

http://www.aina.org/news/20130929170058.htm

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »

The whole Middle East has become crazy. Kyrie eleison.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »

The whole thing smacks of the Moslem intolerants regarding their Christian neighbours as cattle to be milked, pushed around and generally mistreated at will. No one with an ounce of sense may typify Islam as anything else but a preparation for the Antichrist.
Stavro
OC.net guru

« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »

Coptic and independent news outlets reported today that an assassination attempt targeting Anba Macarius, Bishop of Menia (Upper Egypt City). The Coptic Episcopate of Menia has issued a statement to confirm the news.

Some articles in arabic:

http://www.copts-united.com/Article.php?I=1673&A=112670

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/node/2162461

http://www.elaosboa.com/show.asp?id=17121&page=localnews

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #336 on: October 03, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

may God protect him and give all the Christians peace and strength and love for their neighbours.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2013, 12:40:01 AM »

More about this incident:

(AINA) -- The family of a 22-year-old Coptic man, Kirollos Sabet, from Zakaria village, Minia province, said today their son is innocent of all accusations of having had an illicit affair with a Muslim woman. They also rejected the ruling to expel six family members from the village.

"We will leave only over our dead bodies," said Mr. Sabet, Kirollos's father.

According to the father, the parents of the Muslim woman in question had nothing to do with the Muslim attacks nor did they report any incident to the police, and affirmed that Kirollos had no relationship with their daughter. "They actually had their daughter undergo a gynecological exam, Said Mr. Sabet, "which proved the woman is 'untouched' [a virgin]."

The father said that Kirollos, who was arrested and imprisoned, was innocent of all allegations and "the whole story was fabricated by Muslim hard-liners from neighboring village to cause sectarian strife. It started when Kirillos was walking on the country lane, coincidently behind that Muslim woman, and he was followed by over ten young Muslim men who took him to an unknown location, beat him and warned him against having relationships with Muslim females. We kept quiet and did not want to make an issue out of it or report it to the police."

Read more here:

http://www.aina.org/news/20131006190805.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

Copts in Egypt's Delga return to broken homes
By Jay Deshmukh | AFP – 14 hrs ago

Delga (Egypt) (AFP) - Samir Hanna, an Egyptian Copt, returned to his home in the town of Delga a short while ago, but only to find it torched and looted by masked Islamist men.

"Hundreds of them attacked our homes, many of them wearing masks," said the 43-year-old farmer inside his gutted house. "My home was looted, set on fire and destroyed."

On August 14, mobs of Islamists unleashed a wave of violence in Delga -- attacking Coptic homes, centuries-old churches and terrorising Christian families.

Read more here:

http://news.yahoo.com/copts-egypts-delga-back-broken-homes-shattered-trust-072541201.html

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #339 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:09 PM »

(AINA) -- Two unidentified gunmen riding motorcycles opened fire on guests exiting the Virgin Church, located in Warrag, Giza. The gunmen fired automatic weapons as the guests exited the church after attending a wedding ceremony. According to Reverend Justus, the pastor of the church, one man, one women and one 8 year old girl were killed, and 18 were injured.

http://www.aina.org/news/20131020182916.htm

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

Lord have mercy and give courage and comfort to the people.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »

As recently revealed on CTV, in a village called Maghlaga, in the district of Malawi--where Muslim Brotherhood supporters earlier ransacked and plundered a museum housing Egyptian antiquities--a Muslim gang leader known as "Saddam" has been going to every one of the approximately 80 Coptic households in the village demanding jizya/extortion money from them.

During the live news show it was further revealed that in the region of Shubrat al-Khaima, another young Coptic child was kidnapped, with demands that his parents pay 250,000 EP (nearly 40,000 USD). After the father complied and met them alone with the money in a secret place, the kidnappers took the money, beat the father severely, and still kept his child.

Such hate for Egypt's Christians is hardly unprecedented. Earlier another Muslim man kidnapped a 6-year-old Christian boy and, after the family paid the ransom, still killed the child and threw his body in his sewer.

http://www.aina.org/news/20131102155842.htm

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #342 on: November 02, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »

Lord have mercy on the Copts! Holy Theotokos  protect your beloved children of Egypt!
Math lover

Faith: Shia Muslim
Jurisdiction: Twelver

« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »

Can Copts go underground and conceal their faith? I am a Shia, and we have a long history of doing this considering the persecution we have endured and are enduring.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »

Can Copts go underground and conceal their faith? I am a Shia, and we have a long history of doing this considering the persecution we have endured and are enduring.
Actually we shouldn't have to. We are given legal status to worship. The problem is we are still targeted and scapegoated. We sympathize however with a lot of underground Egyptians, those who convert from Islam to Christianity, the Baha'is, and the Shias, all not protected under law, and all practice underground. There are ancient underground churches in Egypt reminiscient of the Roman times of severe Christian persecution, and I'm sure there are some today in several areas in the Middle East.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Stavro
OC.net guru

« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »

Welcome Math Lover.

I know from close Shia friends that they would never pray behind a Sunni Imam even if there neck is on the line, and they would consider this an apostacy, yet they were worshipping in private masjeeds and were not trying to provoke any Sunnis in public.

You could say the same thing about Copts. The only problem is that it is now very obvious, just by appearance, who is Christian and who is Sunni in Egypt.   

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

Egypt's Christians close ranks as kidnappings spike

Close to 100 Christians have been kidnapped for ransom in southern Egypt since the 2011 revolution. Frustrated by police indifference, Christians are now demanding action.

By Kristen Chick, Correspondent / November 12, 2013

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2013/1112/Egypt-s-Christians-close-ranks-as-kidnappings-spike

Math lover

« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Egypt's Christians close ranks as kidnappings spike

Close to 100 Christians have been kidnapped for ransom in southern Egypt since the 2011 revolution. Frustrated by police indifference, Christians are now demanding action.

By Kristen Chick, Correspondent / November 12, 2013

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2013/1112/Egypt-s-Christians-close-ranks-as-kidnappings-spike

How do the terrorists spot the Copts? Is it written on their IDs?
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

no big bushy beard, no hijab, chain around neck (even if cross is under clothes, the chain is often visible), cross tattoo on wrist...

ok, there are occasional copts with big bushy beards, but these are mainly priests (obvious by them wearing a large black galabeya with a big cross) and very few young men who like the beard fashion.
also there are many old ladies in villages who cover their heads, but they tend to have cross tattoos.
Math lover

« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »

no big bushy beard, no hijab, chain around neck (even if cross is under clothes, the chain is often visible), cross tattoo on wrist...

ok, there are occasional copts with big bushy beards, but these are mainly priests (obvious by them wearing a large black galabeya with a big cross) and very few young men who like the beard fashion.
also there are many old ladies in villages who cover their heads, but they tend to have cross tattoos.

How about hiding their stuff? Maybe the government doesn't care about Copts, it could be for propaganda.
If Shias are killed (like the sheikh that was beaten to death last June), imagine Copts...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:28:28 PM by Math lover » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

what is it you suggest they hide?
i don't get it...
Math lover

« Reply #351 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

what is it you suggest they hide?
i don't get it...

Hiding their symbols so that they don't get recognized as Copts on the spot and killed/kidnapped.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #352 on: November 13, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »

we don't really want to hide our faith, because it is very beautiful and we love to see other people blessed and filled with the love of God.
we tuck our crosses inside sometimes so that we don't cause offense; we are not actively looking for trouble,
but it is equally important to us to show that we are not ashamed of what we believe and not afraid to die or suffer.
we know that through the death of the martyrs, God shows His mercy and grace.

Christian life is about showing people God's love (we are not always good at this, sorry!) and being available to give people 'a reason for the hope' that is in us.
(1 peter chapter 3, verse 16; in the Bible)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #353 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

Indeed most Christians in Egypt do possess a Cross tattoo on their right wrist as a show of fearlessness of their faith, even in the midst of any hostility.  It's not required, but it's a popular thing Copts do.  In addition, the Egyptian national ID does reveal one's registered religion.  So, no one technically is hidden from their true religious identity, unless one is hiding their identity post-conversion (in other words apostasy from Islam).

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #354 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »

Nice tattoo, Mina.   Smiley

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

Nice tattoo, Mina.   Smiley

Oh no, that's not me, I just found this on google images…lol

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #356 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »

Violence Against Copts in Egypt
Jason Brownlee, November 14, 2013

excerpt:

Anti-Coptic violence during the past forty years emerged from the intersection of religious discourse and authoritarian control. Sadat promoted Islam in public life and rebuilt the Nasserist police state as a means of shoring up his political position. Coptic complaints about Morsi, which grew during his twelve-month tenure, are rightly seen in this light: the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood and allied conservative Islamists exposed the Copts’ political predicament, a predicament that had been produced by the old regime. Thus, the end of Egypt’s first Islamist presidency does not presage a golden age for Muslim-Coptic relations, but merely a return to the subtler, pernicious problems of the Sadat-Mubarak era.

Violence against Egypt’s Coptic community, the largest population of Christians in the Middle East, must be viewed in its historical and institutional context. Any attack by Muslims on Copts carries a sectarian element, but it is Egypt’s outdated laws and authoritarian institutions, not confessional differences, that have made Copts a target of social conflict.

Aside from physical assaults, Copts face numerous forms of quotidian discrimination. Copts have been customarily barred from positions of leadership (including university presidencies and governorships, with a few exceptions discussed below) as well as positions deemed sensitive to national security, from the upper echelons of the security apparatus to the pedagogical front lines where Copts are prevented from teaching Arabic. Everyday forms of prejudice no doubt contribute to a climate of insecurity. Institutional changes will not be sufficient to bring about a shift in social attitudes, but state officials can build an environment where such shifts are much more likely to take place.

http://carnegieendowment.org/2013/11/14/violence-against-copts-in-egypt/gtsf

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:33 AM »

http://www.aina.org/news/20131126200435.htm

Three months after the Egyptian Army liberated Delga from militant Muslims, Islamists and criminals are terrorizing Christians in other towns across Egypt, human rights activists said.

Islamists in the towns are again charging Jizya, a Koranic fine on non-Muslims also known as the "submission" or "humiliation" tax, after a lull following the retaking of Delga on Sept. 16, said human rights activists within the country. In several towns across Egypt, Muslim extremists and criminals have set up a cottage industry persecuting Christians for profit, the activists said.

Extortionists using the threat of kidnapping, torture and murder are seizing money, land and other property from Christians throughout the southern part of the country but mainly in Minya and Assiut governorates.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #358 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »

An interesting testimony to the way Copts in Egypt respond to the attacks they receive:

http://episcopaldigitalnetwork.com/ens/2013/11/26/traveler-finds-coptic-christians-loving-their-neighbors-despite-attacks/

Pope Tawadros II gave them a cross that says in Arabic, “Love never fails.” And he asked for American Christians to continue to pray for him and the church, to not forget what had happened and to love the people around them, Rogers said. “How do you help Egypt? He basically said, ‘Love your neighbor.’”

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »

Horrible details of attacks on Copts in Libya, including torture and killings for refusing to convert to Islam:

http://www.aina.org/news/20131201175026.htm

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church persecution martyr 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: