Persecution of Copts in Egypt

(1/78) > >>

Salpy:
I am starting this thread on the persecution of Copts in Egypt, partly to raise awareness of the horrific situation over there, and also to remind us to keep them in our prayers.  I am going to make this a sticky and I encourage people to post links to articles on the situation as often as they come up.

I ask that everyone abide by forum rules and avoid posting bare links.  Also, please do not copy and paste an entire article.  Please paste a couple paragraphs to accompany the link.

Salpy:
From today:

Massive clashes that drew in Christians angry over a recent church attack, Muslims, and Egyptian security forces raged over a large section of downtown Cairo Sunday night, leaving at least 19 people dead and more than 150 injured, Health Ministry officials said. It was the worst violence since the 18-day uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak in February.

The Christian protesters said their demonstration began as a peaceful attempt to sit in at the television building. But then, they said they came under attack by thugs in plainclothes who rained stones down on them and fired pellets.

"The protest was peaceful. We wanted to hold a sit-in, as usual," said Essam Khalili, a protester wearing a white shirt with a cross drawn on it. "Thugs attacked us and a military vehicle jumped over a sidewalk and ran over at least 10 people. I saw them."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20111009/D9Q900380.html

Hiwot:
Selam to you dear Salpy

This is a wonderful idea! God bless you for doing this for the reasons you already mentioned. Things are getting worse and our beloved Copts are as ever witnessing with their blood the truth of our faith, let us join them in this great blessing in our prayers for them. Lord have mercy!

Salpy:
From last month:

Christians in the Upper Egyptian village of Elmarinab in Edfu, Aswan province, have been forbidden to leave their homes or buy food until they remove the dome of St. George's Church, which was rebuilt in its previous location. Village Muslims, backed by Muslim Salafists from neighboring villages, have threatened to demolish the church on Friday September 9 after prayers and use it as a mosque.

Despite the presence of security forces, Muslims have blocked the roads to the village, refusing passage of any Christians under any circumstance.

Yesterday the military governor in Aswan was contacted as Christians were starving in their homes. Security officers were sent and accompanied two Christian youths to buy food for the villagers. Muslims at the entrance of the village tried to stop the two security cars. "Failing that they threatened that this would be the last time," said one villager. "It was heart-breaking to see the elderly running with the children to get a loaf of bread."

http://www.aina.org/news/20110908193725.htm

From October 1:

After Friday prayers today, a mob of several thousand Muslims from the village of Elmarinab in Edfu, Aswan province, demolished and torched St. George's church, which was being renovated. The mob demolished the dome, walls and columns, then went to the church depot where the lumber to be used for construction was stored and torched it. The fire lasted 2 hours but the attack continued until 7 PM.

In an interview on Coptic TV channel, Father Salib of St. George's Church said "the Imam of one of the village mosques called on the people to take matter in their own hands, he added. Other witnesses named the Imam as Sheikh Sabry.

According to eyewitnesses the Muslims also torched a large depot of electrical goods owned by a Copt, a supermarket and four Coptic homes. Muslims prevented the fire brigade from entering the village. Security forces, which were present, "stood there watching," said Mr.Michael Ramzy, a social worker at the church.

http://www.aina.org/news/20110930204413.htm

Salpy:
Quote from: Hiwot on October 09, 2011, 09:03:23 PM

Selam to you dear Salpy

This is a wonderful idea! God bless you for doing this for the reasons you already mentioned. Things are getting worse and our beloved Copts are as ever witnessing with their blood the truth of our faith, let us join them in this great blessing in our prayers for them. Lord have mercy!

Thank you, Hiwot.  I really want to raise awareness of this persecution, since it has reached such a critical point and the world seems to be looking the other way.

I really do encourage everyone to post about any news that comes up about the situation over there.  I look forward to the day when this thread will no longer be necessary and the Copts are living in peace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page