Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 81861 times)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #810 on: February 03, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
Yea, according to the Arabic captions at the monastery itself, they only mention spread of heresies since the fourth century, like Arianism, Macedonianism, Nestorianism, etc.  I don't think it has anything to do with Western European ideologies.  Why heresies?  It's the "bending" of the truth of the gospel, hence the "bent" crosses

That's what I figured.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #811 on: February 04, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
Historical detail on the door:

There are two large steps that lead into the main sanctuary, called a haykal from the Hebrew hekal. The door that separates the choir from the sanctuary, which was the work of Moses of Nisibis, is simply a wonderful piece of artwork with extraordinary inlays. This door is made of forty-two panels arranged in seven horizontal and six vertical rows. In the panels of the uppermost row, depicted, from left to right, are St. Dioscorus, patriarch of Alexandria, St. Mark who the Evangelist and first bishop of Alexandria, Christ, the Holy Virgin, St. Severus I, patriarch Antioch, and St. Ignatius who was a bishop of Antioch. Significantly, the representations indicate respect for both the Coptic and Syrian patriarchates. Below, the second row of panels shows a repeated pattern of circles interlaced to form crosses. In each of the six fields of the third row, six linked circles are arranged in pairs, each circle containing a cross. The fourth row, though somewhat damaged, has in each panel a cross enclosed in a four-leafed shamrock with a trefoil at the junction of each leaf. The fifth row has in each panel six swastikas, each enclosed in a circle. The sixth row is a dark grille based on linked circles on a white background. A pattern of a plan cross in a double-stepped frame, the design of the cross thus filling the whole of each panel, takes of the seventh row. This door dates to the beginning of the tenth century, evidenced by a Syrian inscription written on the door itself and indicating that it was made during the patriarchates of Anba Gabriel I, the fifty-seventh patriarch of Alexandria (910-921 AD) and Anba Yuannis IV , the twenty-fifth patriarch of Antioch (902-922 AD).

source:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/surian.htm

I love this monastery.  This is a remnant of when Syriac monks lived in Coptic deserts as their own home.  The way it started is interesting as well, all because of the Julianist heresy!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:22:39 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #812 on: February 06, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
Mor Nicodemos Daoud, the Archbishop of Mosul, returns to his cathedral church in Mosul.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:58:30 PM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Just grab them by prayer.

Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

• Protokentarchos
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #814 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
Glory to God!
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #816 on: February 07, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #817 on: February 07, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
That's our general bishop, Bishop Karas with the Pope.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #818 on: February 07, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »

This Pope is a G. Can't say the same for Pope Francis, sadly.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”- St. Ambrose of Milan

"Now one cannot be a half-hearted Christian, but only entirely or not at all." -Fr. Seraphim Rose

"He who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (1 John 4:20)

• Protokentarchos
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #819 on: February 07, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #820 on: February 08, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
Lol! Be careful...people might think you're referencing a rap song :P

• Protokentarchos
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #821 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
If I recall correctly, the performers in said video were also cruising around on a yacht.  ;)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #822 on: February 08, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
If I recall correctly, the performers in said video were also cruising around on a yacht.  ;)

Nah it was a pool

;)

• Protokentarchos
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #823 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:34 PM »
Nicely played!  ;D

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:24:27 PM by CoptoGeek »
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #825 on: February 11, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
The new St. Mina's Monastery in Mariut, Egypt:

And here's St. Mina's Cathedral in the same campus:

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #826 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
^^ wow, amazing. I wish I visit these churches one day.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:56:46 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #827 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:20 PM »
Me too!  Last time I was there was in 2004 or 2005, when this was still under construction

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #828 on: February 15, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
That's gorgeous! And they have the monks to fill it?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #829 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
Yup! They even have an Abbott bishop.  He's the second one if I'm not mistaken.

Offline orthodoxlearner

• Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:06:01 AM by orthodoxlearner »