Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
Interestingly enough the Synod of Laodicea (accepted by the EO, don't know about OO) forbids subdeacons the orarion and Byzantine ordination rubrics calls the subdeaon's vestment a cincture which like the little phelon of the reader is used only at ordination.  (Somebody posted pictures of this at byzcath) The subdeacon assumes the crossed orarion in contravention of the canon afterwards.
https://books.google.com/books?id=TjswAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=canons+against+subdeacons+wearing+stoles&source=bl&ots=gd_XeHOL2_&sig=O7CtR-0T1ALVT_2kIxt1MxMNod0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cnhKVeP_DpLlsASt3YGoBQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=canons%20against%20subdeacons%20wearing%20stoles&f=false
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:34:26 PM by Deacon Lance »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »
A rose by any other name...  They are wearing them in the style of Latin deacons but those are stoles.  The Assyrians and Chaldeans have been giving stoles to their women cantors and readers too.

In those photos, yes, I would say they are stoles.  But either they are functioning as these sashes

and are simply part of the choir costume, or they are proper stoles, in which case they are doubly wrong. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
Interestingly enough the Synod of Laodicea (accepted by the EO, don't know about OO) forbids subdeacons the orarion and Byzantine ordination rubrics calls the subdeaon's vestment a cincture which like the little phelon of the reader is used only at ordination.  (Somebody posted pictures of this at byzcath) The subdeacon assumes the crossed orarion in contravention of the canon afterwards.
https://books.google.com/books?id=TjswAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=canons+against+subdeacons+wearing+stoles&source=bl&ots=gd_XeHOL2_&sig=O7CtR-0T1ALVT_2kIxt1MxMNod0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cnhKVeP_DpLlsASt3YGoBQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=canons%20against%20subdeacons%20wearing%20stoles&f=false

The canons recognised by Syriac tradition include canons prohibiting stoles to subdeacons and readers as well as canons allowing them.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #273 on: May 09, 2015, 02:13:35 AM »
I think they are in Washington.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2015, 06:54:12 PM »
Newly consecrated church in Yerevan:

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #277 on: May 09, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
For posts 274 and 275, I can't see the pictures. :(
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #278 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »

Online lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • This is where I choose to tread
« Reply #279 on: May 09, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »
The connection is quite slow, but the images do eventually appear.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Elder
« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
A rose by any other name...  They are wearing them in the style of Latin deacons but those are stoles.  The Assyrians and Chaldeans have been giving stoles to their women cantors and readers too.

I have no idea what the Chaldeans do but the Church of the East does not have women cantors with stoles, at least not in the United States. The local Syriac Archbishop will bless the veils of female choir members but that is as far as it goes.
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2015, 11:23:29 PM »
The connection is quite slow, but the images do eventually appear.

Ya, they do load really slow for some reason.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #282 on: May 10, 2015, 03:04:32 AM »
Okay, now I can see them. :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #283 on: May 10, 2015, 03:05:59 AM »
me too...it seems that the server from where the pictures came from struggled a bit
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Aram

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #284 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:23 PM »

The canons recognised by Syriac tradition include canons prohibiting stoles to subdeacons and readers as well as canons allowing them.
Technically speaking, Armenian subdeacons (literally rendered in Armenian as "half-deacons") should not wear the stole over their shoulder. Rather, it is worn folded in half over the left forearm. At the ordination, the stole is laid over the arm, and is supposed to wear it that way until/if they're ordained a full deacon. For me, I wore it on my arm the day I was ordained, and like everyone else, just started wearing it over my shoulder thereafter. It was just an unspoken understanding. When I was ordained a deacon, I wore it over my shoulder until the ordination began, and then moved it back down to my arm. Some places still do it in the traditional way, but it's not that common. Frankly, it's really difficult to do anything with the stole just hanging half-folded over your arm like that. Incredibly impractical.

There was also a minor craze in the United States back in the 70s and 80s for ordaining "stole-bearers," a kind of middle ground between the four minor orders (tbir, or clerk/acolyte) and subdeacon. They'd wear stoles, but with the same color robes worn by the acolytes/choir, rather than the deacon's robes (in most parishes I've been around, deacons wear blue, choir wears red, though sometimes that's reversed). It was more an honorary thing for longtime altar servers than anything with defined duties, and didn't really have a canonical basis, either. It's not that common anymore, if even done at all, though there are still a few now-middle-aged-to-elderly stole-bearers floating around out there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:19:48 PM by Aram »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2015, 01:32:12 AM »
A while back someone was telling me about Coptic churches that are built to look like boats, or perhaps Noah's Ark.  I also think it was discussed here at one point.  I never quite got the concept, though.

Is anyone able to post pictures of examples of that architecture?  Do people know what I am talking about?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
I haven't really heard this, but now that I look at it, perhaps, St. Mark's Cathedral where the Papal headquarters are might be a good example:

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2015, 01:08:49 AM »
That's probably it.  The symbolism is interesting.  I guess it's the Church being like Noah's Ark carrying the people to salvation, or something like that.  It's nice.

Offline jobin219

• Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
During a Sayfo Memorial Event

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »
Wow. How old is that?
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman