OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persecution of Copts in Egypt  (Read 30266 times) Average Rating: 5
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: October 09, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »

I am starting this thread on the persecution of Copts in Egypt, partly to raise awareness of the horrific situation over there, and also to remind us to keep them in our prayers.  I am going to make this a sticky and I encourage people to post links to articles on the situation as often as they come up.

I ask that everyone abide by forum rules and avoid posting bare links.  Also, please do not copy and paste an entire article.  Please paste a couple paragraphs to accompany the link.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »

From today:

Massive clashes that drew in Christians angry over a recent church attack, Muslims, and Egyptian security forces raged over a large section of downtown Cairo Sunday night, leaving at least 19 people dead and more than 150 injured, Health Ministry officials said. It was the worst violence since the 18-day uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak in February.

The Christian protesters said their demonstration began as a peaceful attempt to sit in at the television building. But then, they said they came under attack by thugs in plainclothes who rained stones down on them and fired pellets.

"The protest was peaceful. We wanted to hold a sit-in, as usual," said Essam Khalili, a protester wearing a white shirt with a cross drawn on it. "Thugs attacked us and a military vehicle jumped over a sidewalk and ran over at least 10 people. I saw them."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20111009/D9Q900380.html

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

Selam to you dear Salpy

This is a wonderful idea! God bless you for doing this for the reasons you already mentioned. Things are getting worse and our beloved Copts are as ever witnessing with their blood the truth of our faith, let us join them in this great blessing in our prayers for them. Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »

From last month:

Christians in the Upper Egyptian village of Elmarinab in Edfu, Aswan province, have been forbidden to leave their homes or buy food until they remove the dome of St. George's Church, which was rebuilt in its previous location. Village Muslims, backed by Muslim Salafists from neighboring villages, have threatened to demolish the church on Friday September 9 after prayers and use it as a mosque.

Despite the presence of security forces, Muslims have blocked the roads to the village, refusing passage of any Christians under any circumstance.

Yesterday the military governor in Aswan was contacted as Christians were starving in their homes. Security officers were sent and accompanied two Christian youths to buy food for the villagers. Muslims at the entrance of the village tried to stop the two security cars. "Failing that they threatened that this would be the last time," said one villager. "It was heart-breaking to see the elderly running with the children to get a loaf of bread."

http://www.aina.org/news/20110908193725.htm

From October 1:

After Friday prayers today, a mob of several thousand Muslims from the village of Elmarinab in Edfu, Aswan province, demolished and torched St. George's church, which was being renovated. The mob demolished the dome, walls and columns, then went to the church depot where the lumber to be used for construction was stored and torched it. The fire lasted 2 hours but the attack continued until 7 PM.

In an interview on Coptic TV channel, Father Salib of St. George's Church said "the Imam of one of the village mosques called on the people to take matter in their own hands, he added. Other witnesses named the Imam as Sheikh Sabry.

According to eyewitnesses the Muslims also torched a large depot of electrical goods owned by a Copt, a supermarket and four Coptic homes. Muslims prevented the fire brigade from entering the village. Security forces, which were present, "stood there watching," said Mr.Michael Ramzy, a social worker at the church.

http://www.aina.org/news/20110930204413.htm

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »

Selam to you dear Salpy

This is a wonderful idea! God bless you for doing this for the reasons you already mentioned. Things are getting worse and our beloved Copts are as ever witnessing with their blood the truth of our faith, let us join them in this great blessing in our prayers for them. Lord have mercy!

Thank you, Hiwot.  I really want to raise awareness of this persecution, since it has reached such a critical point and the world seems to be looking the other way.

I really do encourage everyone to post about any news that comes up about the situation over there.  I look forward to the day when this thread will no longer be necessary and the Copts are living in peace.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »

Here is a recent story about one very courageous girl who stood up for her faith:

On her first day to school, 15-year-old Christian student Ferial Habib was stopped at the doorstep of her new high school with clear instructions: either put on a headscarf or no school this year.

Habib refused. While most Muslim women in Egypt wear the headscarf, Christians do not, and the move by administrators to force a Christian student to don it was unprecedented. For the next two weeks, Habib reported to school in the southern Egyptian village of Sheik Fadl every day in her uniform, without the head covering, only to be turned back by teachers.

One day, Habib heard the school loudspeakers echoing her name and teachers with megaphones leading a number of students in chants of “We don’t want Ferial here,” the teenager told The Associated Press.

http://www.peopleunlikeus.com/?p=18087&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=egyptian-arab-spring-brings-overt-discrimination-directed-toward-coptic-christians

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »

Coptic girls are especially at risk, as abductions, forced conversions, and forced marriages are on the rise:

Ten years ago, I was in Egypt interviewing Coptic Christians who described how persecution by Muslims had become a way of life for them. The situation is worse now because of increased abductions of Coptic girls, who are forced into a sham marriage with a Muslim, raped, forced to convert to Islam and separated for good from their families.

These are girls as young as 12 who are being grabbed off Egyptian streets. Photos are taken while the girl is being raped to blackmail her into converting, says Mary Abdelmassih, a Coptic activist.

“She’s told the pictures will go to her family,” she told me. “They’d rather die than have that happen.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/07/duin-coptic-girls-being-abducted/

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 01:55:31 AM »

‎60 Minutes did a segment Sunday night on the current state of affairs in Egypt. Lots about the "Arab Spring," but only one mention of a Coptic Christian being killed. The martyrdom and persecution of Coptic Christians apparrently isn't as fashionable to cover as secular revolutions. 60 Minutes didn't bother to show us images like this. Let us pray for our Orthodox brothers and sisters in Egypt.

"Lord have mercy."

(If the image above is in violation of forum rules, please remove it.)

Selam
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:57:44 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 02:48:51 AM »

Yes, Gebre...Ahram's coverage has actually been much more honest and serious than any Western source. (Other stories update the number of dead to 19, by the way. Lord have mercy.)

There has already begun a Protest in Tahrir square against the violence of the previous day's events.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 05:48:46 AM »

thanks for your prayers for our church, and may God give courage to all Christians who suffer.
Lizzie

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »

Due to increasing violence in Egypt against the Coptic population, who have been suffering ongoing persecution for many years, today, the Coptic church has declared three days of fasting & prayer, beginning tomorrow, Tuesday 11th October 2011.

Please join with us in lifting up our hearts to God.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:14:07 AM by Lizzie » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 09:35:58 AM »

What I saw this weekend I can never forget.

I ask...no, I beg all US Citizen on this forum to write his/her Congressional Representative and urge them to cut ALL military aid to Egypt. Those tanks used to mow down innocent people and those bullets fired at innocent people were paid for by US tax dollars.

I also beg that you don't make this a secterian issue as this will only help accomplish what SCAF & the Islamists are trying to do. There were many good and decent Muslims protesting alongside Copts that were also killed and injured.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »

A firsthand account: Marching from Shubra to deaths at Maspiro

"And then it happened: an APC mounted the island in the middle of the road, like a maddened animal on a rampage. I saw a group of people disappear, sucked underneath it. It drove over them. I wasn’t able to see what happened to them because it then started coming in my direction."

"The Coptic Hospital tried its best to deal with the sudden influx of casualties. Its floors were sticky with blood and there was barely room to move among the wounded, the worried and the inconsolable."

http://Http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/503496

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

I also beg that you don't make this a secterian issue as this will only help accomplish what SCAF & the Islamists are trying to do.

That's important to remember.

There were many good and decent Muslims protesting alongside Copts that were also killed and injured.

I've been seeing that in the articles I've been reading on the incident.  This reminds me of last January, when Muslims protested alongside Christians against the church bombing on New Year's Eve.  I guess we have to remember not to lump all Muslims together and to be aware that in Egypt there are many Muslims who believe in freedom of religion.

sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

BISHOP DAVID: We will not be silent!

"In a powerful message from Bishop David, streamed on CopticWorld, he fired back at the Egyptian government for the events in Egypt that claimed the lives of at least 24 youth and injured at least 280 others.

"God will interfere when its the right time. His answer will be a powerful answer", the Bishop re-assured his audience.  "We are a peaceful people, we don't attack, we don't shout, we pray." His Grace also said, "We call on everyone to speak up and witness to the truth. We have to have one united voice from all people who love the truth whether they are Coptic or non-Coptic, Christian or non-Christians. We are not going to be silenced!

He urged fasting and prayer for the next three days.In a powerful message from Bishop David, streamed on CopticWorld, he fired back at the Egyptian government for the events in Egypt that claimed the lives of at least 24 youth and injured at least 280 others.

"God will interfere when its the right time. His answer will be a powerful answer", the Bishop re-assured his audience.  "We are a peaceful people, we don't attack, we don't shout, we pray." His Grace also said, "We call on everyone to speak up and witness to the truth. We have to have one united voice from all people who love the truth whether they are Coptic or non-Coptic, Christian or non-Christians. We are not going to be silenced!

He urged fasting and prayer for the next three days.

He also urged all Coptic Christians in the world to join CopticWorld in order to facilitate dissemination of information and breaking news from the leaders of the church. "This website will also give us a way to know how many we are and where we are. Please urge all your family and friends to join."

His Grace also urged all to sign a petition at: http://betterlifeforegypt.wordpress.com/"

Lizzie

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:34:44 AM »

A petition has been released to the White House. We need 25,000 signatures. The following are the links to the 2 petitions we need to sign. It only takes 5 minutes - spread the word! This is the least we can do! https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/protect-political-and-religious-rights-egypt/BxTnvvdj
&
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/cut-13b-aid-annually-egypt-unless-they-bring-justice-killers-massacre-coptic-christian/rr471DrY
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33:32 AM »

I ask...no, I beg all US Citizen on this forum to write his/her Congressional Representative and urge them to cut ALL military aid to Egypt. Those tanks used to mow down innocent people and those bullets fired at innocent people were paid for by US tax dollars.

I also beg that you don't make this a secterian issue as this will only help accomplish what SCAF & the Islamists are trying to do. There were many good and decent Muslims protesting alongside Copts that were also killed and injured.
May the Lord guide the hearts of moderate Muslims to share Egypt justly with their Coptic brothers and sisters.  May all Orthodox Christians pray and fast for the Coptic Orthodox faithful of Egypt.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »

Lord, have mercy! Turn the evil doers from their wickedness and sear their conscience with burning coals to bring them to repentance and that they may know the Lord Jesus Christ before it is too late. May we boldly pray for the Copts' protection and through the intercessions of the Theotokos.

Antiochian OC N.A.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »

Kyrie, eleison!

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »

This is a very good article by the Associated Press, putting this latest event in context:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_EGYPT_CHRISTIANS_UNDER_SIEGE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-10-17-27-48

Among other things, it documents several attacks, including deadly ones, that have been perpetrated against the Copts in the past year.

Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »

We only read this sort of 'politically correct' statements in the MSM. The case is not about the Muslims, it is about the persecuted brothers and sisters of ours. Besides, only a bad Muslim can be a good Muslim.

By the way, Sunday's tragedy is already forgotten by the MSM, as the NEWS-makers prefer dedicating air times to the alleged assassination of the Saudi ambassador in Washington. Well, the life of one Saudi is more precious than 10 million Coptic Christians. They'll pay dearly for that!
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:36 AM »

I hope you will all take a moment to watch this video of the beautiful and wise words of Bishop Moussa and Father Tadros Yacob, from the funerals of the Alexandrian martyrs following the bombings in January: Bishop Moussa and Father Tadros Yacoub words in the funeral prayer for Alexandria martyrs

Their words provide a proper perspective befitting this time. God bless and protect our Christian brothers and sisters in Egypt and around the world. Give rest to the souls of the martyrs, and comfort to their families and all who are grieving.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:50:49 AM by dzheremi » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »

We only read this sort of 'politically correct' statements in the MSM. The case is not about the Muslims, it is about the persecuted brothers and sisters of ours. Besides, only a bad Muslim can be a good Muslim.

What are you talking about? So its better to do what, turn against all the Muslims in Egypt and make them all the enemy? No wonder the Copts there want us to stay out of their business. They have to live with the consequences of the likes of your brave, heroic 'non-pc' words.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkha6kipvI&feature=channel_video_title

if anyone is feeling strong emotionally and wants to know what actually happened then watch this.
may God give peace to all who suffer and fill them with His love and His peace which is beyond understanding.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Patriarch Kirill of the Russian Orthodox Church has sent a message of condolences to Pope Shenouda:

To: His Holiness SHENOUDA III

Pope of Alexandria and

Patriarch of the Throne of St. Mark in All Africa and the Middle East

Your Holiness,

It has deeply grieved me to learn about the new attacks against Christians in Egypt and the bloody clashes in Cairo which have left several scores of people dead and over three hundred of people injured.

The Russian Orthodox Church knows not from hearsay what discrimination and persecution of believers are. The carcases of defiled churches still remaining in our land remind us to this day of the terrible years of persecution. That is why we feel so strongly for the suffering of our brothers in faith in Egypt. At an hour of trial, we turn to Almighty God with prayer asking Him to reinforce the spiritual resources of Egyptian Christians in their efforts to stand for their faith and to preserve their Christian identity.

We have repeatedly called upon all the major world powers and religious leaders to condemn the persecution of Christians and called the Egyptian authorities to do all that is necessary to ensure real freedom of religion and security for all citizens regardless of their religious or ethnic background.

You can read the whole message here:

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/12/news49593/

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

Another statement by HH Kirill on the matter, expressing support for the Copts:

Patriarch Kirill’s statement on disturbances in Cairo

12.10.2011 · Inter-Christian relations, New documents, Patriarchal Ministry 

In his statement published below, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church expresses support for the suffering Egyptian Christians.

‘The Russian Orthodox Church has followed the developments in Egypt with concern and bitterness. Blood has been spilt and Christian churches have been destroyed again. There is another manifestation of growing intolerance towards Christians and their legal and physical vulnerability in the Egyptian society.

Our Church knows from her recent history what the suffering of innocent people and destruction of churches are. We raise our voice in defence of our Egyptian brothers in faith and call upon the world community not to be indifferent to this lawlessness. The United Nations and other international organizations and leading world powers capable of influencing the policy of the new authorities in Egypt should unequivocally come out against the persecution of Christians and do everything to help establish interreligious peace and security in the region.

The tragic ordeals the Egyptian Christians are undergoing so courageously are links in the same chain which has already brought out a new and ever growing wave of emigration. Egypt is a country in which the Christian and Muslim communities have lived together for centuries. The aggression against Christians lies on the conscience of destructive radical forces whose motives are not at all religious. We appeal to the leaders of the Islamic world to express a clear condemnation of the violence against Christians, to respect their right to openly confess their faith and to preserve their religious and cultural traditions. At an hour when the very future of Christian-Muslim dialogue is threatened, religious leaders should demonstrate in deed their commitment to peace and mutual understanding.

Read the whole message here:

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/12/news49598/

Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »

my respect for Patriarch Kirill increased so much after reading this... i am honoured that he called us his brothers in faith  Grin
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »

my respect for Patriarch Kirill increased so much after reading this... i am honoured that he called us his brothers in faith  Grin

Likewise.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »

Indeed there is a wonderful and beautiful fraternity between Russians and Copts because they both know suffering and persecution.  I experienced this recently among some Russian clergy (even in ROCOR) which made me realize that the "real world" is very different than what is presented often times on internet forums.

Let me share with you a beautiful story from a just a couple of weeks ago.

I was invited along with all my congregation from St. Marina Coptic Orthodox Church (Irvine, CA) to attend a local Serbian Church where the Myrrh-Streaming Icon of Hawaii (which belongs to ROCOR) was visiting.  This was the second time I went due to the wonderful relationship between me and the local Serbian priest.  This time I came with about 125 Copts from my parish after Sunday liturgy.

While we were gathered, Reader Nektarios, the guardian of the icon, related to us Copts the following story with sincere emotion...

When the Holy Theotokos was appearing in Warraq Cairo (Dec. 2009), Reader Nektarios received a phone call from a friend that happened to be visiting Egypt. This friend was among the several thousand people standing outside the Church when the Mother of God appeared.  He called Reader Nektarios in great amazement describing the details of how the Holy Virgin looked and how she smiled at the people (he said the videos don't do any justice to what they saw in person). She was appearing while he was on the phone...He asked Reader Nektarios, "what is the icon doing right now?"  Reader Nektarios responded that the icon stopped streaming!  Then a few moments later, there was great sound from the crowd and Reader Nektarios asked what happened. His friend told him that the Mother of God disappeared. His friend asked a second time what was happening to the icon and Reader Nektarios responded that it began to stream again!  A third roar from the crowd came when the Holy Virgin appeared again, this time on the bell tower (first time was on the dome) and the friend asked a third time about the icon and Reader Nektarios indicated that it stopped streaming!  For Reader Nektarios, it was clear that the moments when the Mother of God was appearing in Egypt, the icon stopped streaming.  He told the story with an obvious great love for the Copts and was certain about how much the Mother of God loves the children of Egypt.

Another great link between the Russians and Copts...I know some will not accept the story or its conclusions, but there it is for you to make what you will of it.

In Christ,
Fr. Kyrillos
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »

Glory be to God! how wonderful to hear these things Father!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:44 AM »

Amen, truly now is the time for all christians to unite and forget our petty differences.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »

Beautiful Story, Abouna.

CYC has several interviews and video footage with English subtitles

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/christianyouthchannel
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:34:18 AM by CoptoGeek » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

Here is the Maronite Patriarch, Mar Bechara Boutros al-Rahi, giving very kind words of condolences and fraternal support. I couldn't find a version with English subtitles, but its worth posting for our Arabic speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7eGX45HHo4

He's currently travelling the West, in part, to raise awareness regarding the plight of Christians in the Middle East.

Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

"Christians are Sons of Dogs" has shouted the fake Egyptian soldier. Everything is the opposite with these ZOMBIES. As an Arabic speaker he was probably articulating DOG as GOD. They surely hate dog and God.

http://tundratabloids.com/2011/10/bbc-video-christians-are-sons-of-dogs.html

Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »

Fascinating article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/A-New-Crisis-for-Egypts-Copts.html?c=y&page=1

Lizzie

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »

His Grace Bishop Suriel's (Bishop of Melbourne & its affiliated regions, Australia) interview with local news channel:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1595519/Egyptian-Ambassador-should-be-sacked-says-bishop
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »

I love, love, love Bishop Suriel. God bless him and all the bishops in the diaspora who have stood with the Copts in Egypt.

I am under HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern U.S. diocese. He has written this on the diocese website: Church Construction and Symbolism Threaten No One (Possibly written before the recent violence, after the crosses on Mar Gerges church in upper Egypt were removed, but the Muslims burnt it down anyway.)

I am not sure about the rules of copying from articles here, but this part gave me pause:

The Lord Jesus Christ was rejected in His own country, yet He did not accept death at the will of His opposition nor did He allow them to provoke Him, but at the Will of His Father in Heaven only did He accept the fate of earthly death. This is the example we must follow. We must not recklessly abandon the Will of our Father in Heaven and fall into the hands of the opposition; rather we must and should rise above those hands which seek to do us harm.

Amen. Lord have mercy.

Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »

This is a very clear video of one of the military vehicles running over protesters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwaktM-qjs&feature=player_embedded#!

peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »

I will do this right now.  God Bless His suffering people in Egypt.
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »

Good suggestion on the letters. I will do that as well.

Not posting
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »

Dutch site:

Maspero survivors finally testify: army shot at unarmed demonstrators without provocation

In a large press conference held Thursday afternoon, multiple civilian eyewitnesses recounted to reporters what they saw on the night of 9 October, when a peaceful march of thousands of Coptic and Muslims protesters, which was headed towards the TV headquarters at Maspero near Tahrir square to demand equal rights for Egypt’s 8 million Christians, turned into deadly clashes with the military police, leaving behind 24 protesters dead, 329 injured and a divided and confused public.

Plus:

Excellent Video: Ezra Levant Interview on the recent attack on the Copts Oct 11 2011
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:28:39 PM by sainthieu » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »

Good suggestion on the letters. I will do that as well.

There's a couple of things out there I received that could help facilitate this process.  These are the ones I signed to:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/cut-13b-aid-annually-egypt-unless-they-bring-justice-killers-massacre-coptic-christian/rr471DrY

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/protect-political-and-religious-rights-egypt/BxTnvvdj

http://www.petition2congress.com/5297/us-funded-egyptian-military-kills-civilians/

(this last one I like)

And I hate to turn this political, but for any American out there who feels we need to cut spending, this can be part of it.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

I signed the last one also.  I think it is important especially to reach out to Congress.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »

this one is for the uk:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/equality-and-freedom-from-persecution-for-copts.html
may God guide us and protect all those protesting and praying around the world.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »

There was a peaceful demonstration today in Washington D.C. protesting what happened in Egypt. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coptic-christians-protest-outside-white-house-against-abuses-in-egypt/2011/10/19/gIQAxRvByL_story.html

I learned on Sunday morning that the Copts in Los Angeles had planned a demonstration outside the Federal Building, but I was not able to go.  I haven't seen anything on the internet about it.

I encourage people to post here about any upcoming demonstrations or events having to do with the situation in Egypt.  It is important to let people know about these events ahead of time, so that as many people as possible can go to them.

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church persecution martyr 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: