OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Violence breaks out at Cairo protest against church demolition  (Read 1530 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

A protest in Cairo against the demolition of a Coptic Orthodox Church turned deadly, as 17 people lost their lives and dozens more were injured.

From the article:
The clashes began outside the state TV building in central Maspero Square but soon spread to Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the demonstrations which led to President Mubarak's resignation.

Thousands joined in the street violence, hurling stones and tearing up the pavement for ammunition.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
britgirl
I'm a smarmy college student.

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

إسمي عائشة وأنا طالبة في جامعة :)

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." - Proverbs 16:3

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." --Ben Franklin

يا ربّ ارحم

It ain't me talking fast, it's just you listening slow.

International Relations: Middle East/Africa; Muslim Studies (B.A. 2014)
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »

The "Religion of Peace" strikes again!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:25 PM »

Lord have Mercy! " the blood of the Martyrs is the seed of the Church" Tertullian

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »

Lord have mercy. The Copts are in my prayers.  

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:14:24 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »

Television footage showed the military vehicle slamming into the crowd. Coptic protesters were shown attacking a soldier, while a priest tried to protect him.

I bet that took a lot of courage for the Priest to try to protect the soldier.

Lord have mercy.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:00:39 AM »

Lord, have mercy! Holy New Martyrs of Egypt, pray for us!

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Antiochian OC N.A.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ!

I am appalled.  How does a relatively peaceful (albeit upset) protest march turn to violence when people were carrying Icons, Cross, and prayer beads break into horror? Suddenly violence erupts and confusion as to who provoked whom.  The government says it was provoked to violence, and this very well may prove correct,  however the real question is who started it? Was it sincere Copts in the march, or were there infiltrators with some kind of nefarious agenda..  I fear the latter and pray for the best for them and us all.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ!

I am appalled.  How does a relatively peaceful (albeit upset) protest march turn to violence when people were carrying Icons, Cross, and prayer beads break into horror? Suddenly violence erupts and confusion as to who provoked whom.  The government says it was provoked to violence, and this very well may prove correct,  however the real question is who started it? Was it sincere Copts in the march, or were there infiltrators with some kind of nefarious agenda..  I fear the latter and pray for the best for them and us all.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Greetings, Habte!

Does it matter who started it while it is obvious that there is an ethnic cleansing going on against Christians in the whole of the Middle East? First they targeted the Saturday folks, and now they going after the Sunday ones. I am afraid the Copts must work hard to create a separate state in Egypt, like southern Sudanese did it.

Lord have Mercy!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:57:01 PM by Balthasar » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »

Lord have Mercy! "the blood of the Martyrs is the seed of the Church" Tertullian

Indeed!  Lord, have mercy.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »

The holy synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church has called on Copts around the world to fast for three days, starting midnight, in prayer for and remembrance of the martyrs and the Church in Egypt at this time of great turmoil. God is our strength and our refuge, and the prayers that have sustained the church through centuries of persecution will continue to do so, despite the work of Satan in Egypt today. Soti emmon owoh nai nan, Kyrie eleison...

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

On Foxnews, on their main evening news, devoted a total of 10 minutes (out of an hour, minus commercials).  to this (4 in the news story, and 6 minutes on their analysist section at the end).  They showed how harsh the crack down was, and constrasted it with pictures of the storming of the embassy last month (where the soldiers did nothing).  The showed a protester describing the armored vehicle running protestors, while he was holding up his huge Crucifix.  They also mentioned in passing the fact that the Christians in Syria are in danger if Asad falls, and that he doesn't just protect his own 'Alawite minority.  And most importantly, that the US is paying for that army which is running down peaceful Christian demonstrations.  Hopefully there this will remain high profile.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior jesus christ!

I am appalled.  How does a relatively peaceful (albeit upset) protest march turn to violence when people were carrying Icons, Cross, and prayer beads break into horror? Suddenly violence erupts and confusion as to who provoked whom.  The government says it was provoked to violence, and this very well may prove correct,  however the real question is who started it? Was it sincere Copts in the march, or were there infiltrators with some kind of nefarious agenda..  I fear the latter and pray for the best for them and us all.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Greetings, Habte!

Does it matter who started it while it is obvious that there is an ethnic cleansing going on against Christians in the whole of the Middle East? First they targeted the Saturday folks, and now they going after the Sunday ones. I am afraid the Copts must work hard to create a separate state in Egypt, like southern Sudanese did it.

Lord have Mercy!

Yes, it very much matters who started it because the government is blaming the Copts, and the Church issued a statement saying what I am saying, that thugs infiltrated the march and instigated the violence, similar to what happens with the secret police in Iran and Syria.

As a firm follower of the wisdom of HIM Haile Selassie, in particular with the post-colonial partitions of African borders, HIM insisted over more than a decade of struggles that Africans keep the borders they inherited from the colonial system to prevent further splintering and separatists movements.  The South Sudanese are the one anomoly and the verdict is not yet in as to if it will prove a success or a fluke.  For Egypt, the Copts do not need a separate state, they just need a state which properly asserts and represents their interests, after all, Egypt is the Copts home too.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »

Interestingly, Habte, "This is our home" is one of the things that the Copts were chanting at the protest. The reply from the Salafi thugs? "Islamiyya! Islamiyya!" You probably don't need to know Arabic to know the point they were making.

Earlier Salafi demonstrations were under the chant of "The Copts are our guests". Great guys, these Salafis...  Angry

It's all fine and well to say that the Copts need the state to protect their rights and provide equality for all before the law (that is, after all, what the Copts are demonstrating for), but this is like saying the Assyrians need that, and the Arab Christians need that, that the Maronites need that, and so on. We all know its true, but it amounts to exactly squat. Who are you going to talk to about these needs? Tantawi? Abu Dua? Hassan Nasrallah? Barack Obama? These people don't care. It took the few Assyrian and Arab Christian representatives in the government of the USA (specifically, Reps. Ana Eshoo and Darrell Issa, though I think Levin was involved too) to even get the little bit of money that has been allocated for Iraqi minorities last month (I can't remember how much; I got an e-mail about it from the Assyrian American Coalition...I think it was something around $20-$25 million). I would not be shocked to find most that money being appropriated and wasted by the damn Kurds, anyway. They don't even have to repeat Simele, or if they did they would still be able to count on foreign aid thanks to their inexplicably good PR. (Well, not inexplicably...they're seen as pro-Western, but that certainly doesn't extend to pro-not murdering and oppressing Christians.)

I hate to sound so very pessimistic, but that's the world. We're all screwed, but for the fact that the true God Christ will not abandon us no matter what happens. The gates of hell shall not prevail against His church. I don't recall anything in the Bible about the government, though. In Egypt, they are clearly prevailing. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:00:28 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »

selam

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.Psalm 116:15

okay IMO these attacks started centuries ago, it comes and goes some time it gets worse than the others, but it was started and still is instigated by the Muslim militants as evidenced once it starts there is no mercy but  applying whatever pretext it is for the use of un proportional violence to decimate the unarmed helpless public. a public which has every right to demand what they were demanding. the suffering of the Copts is innumerable and has been going on for centuries and a few times in their  long history of suffering  there was a time or two  when the Emperors of Ethiopia were in power, and the Egyptian Pasha did not know the full potential of their power,they would send letters of threat to cut off the Nile if they did not stop their attack against the Copts and their Monasteries and Church's. this goes back as old as the 16C and at one point the pashas were so terrified  of the prospect of  the Nile drying up,they used they made peace with the copts and made the pope to be an intermediary between king David of Ethiopia and the Pasha of Egypt. it was a bluff threat ofc , doing so would have harmed the Copts also , however the Lord made the pashas believe the threat and it was effective in setting things straight for a while.  it pains me , it infuriates me to see what is being done to our beloved Copts. the injustice they have been suffering time and again at the hand of the Muslim oppressors. Who ever is in power Copts have been fair game to attack to discriminate against and slowly to exterminate and make Egypt a Muslim only country. But these butchers are fighting against the un defeatable! they just don't know it yet. the King of Kings the Lord of Lords Christ the Victorious still watches over the Copts! and the Copts have been utterly loyal to him, accepting the cross he blessed them with! Lord have Mercy on thy Children who trust in thee! do not abandon them in this hour of their need , lead them to the Glory that awaits the Blessed of Your Father. Mother of Light  Most Holy Theotokos,come come to the aid of your  beloved children the Copts, shelter , protect and intercede for them, for you are the mother they run to for shelter and comfort. amen!

selam hunu

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »

selam

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.Psalm 116:15

okay IMO these attacks started centuries ago, it comes and goes some time it gets worse than the others, but it was started and still is instigated by the Muslim militants as evidenced once it starts there is no mercy but  applying whatever pretext it is for the use of un proportional violence to decimate the unarmed helpless public. a public which has every right to demand what they were demanding. the suffering of the Copts is innumerable and has been going on for centuries and a few times in their  long history of suffering  there was a time or two  when the Emperors of Ethiopia were in power, and the Egyptian Pasha did not know the full potential of their power,they would send letters of threat to cut off the Nile if they did not stop their attack against the Copts and their Monasteries and Church's. this goes back as old as the 16C and at one point the pashas were so terrified  of the prospect of  the Nile drying up,they used they made peace with the copts and made the pope to be an intermediary between king David of Ethiopia and the Pasha of Egypt. it was a bluff threat ofc , doing so would have harmed the Copts also , however the Lord made the pashas believe the threat and it was effective in setting things straight for a while.  it pains me , it infuriates me to see what is being done to our beloved Copts. the injustice they have been suffering time and again at the hand of the Muslim oppressors. Who ever is in power Copts have been fair game to attack to discriminate against and slowly to exterminate and make Egypt a Muslim only country. But these butchers are fighting against the un defeatable! they just don't know it yet. the King of Kings the Lord of Lords Christ the Victorious still watches over the Copts! and the Copts have been utterly loyal to him, accepting the cross he blessed them with! Lord have Mercy on thy Children who trust in thee! do not abandon them in this hour of their need , lead them to the Glory that awaits the Blessed of Your Father. Mother of Light  Most Holy Theotokos,come come to the aid of your  beloved children the Copts, shelter , protect and intercede for them, for you are the mother they run to for shelter and comfort. amen!

selam hunu

Greetings, Hiwot!

You've put it beautifully.

What boils my blood higher is the fact that the Egyptian army is still funded and hardwared by the US. By the way, where is the solidarity from the Christian world? Why are no more King Davids among Ethiopians? How are Ethiopian Christians and their church reacting to this horrendous tragedy?
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a crazy fan or anything, but I think that was the best post in the history of anything. 100000% agreed!

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a crazy fan or anything, but I think that was the best post in the history of anything. 100000% agreed!

Same here. There's nothing more uplifting than reading any one of Hiwot's posts. Thanks Hiwot, really needed to read that today.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior jesus christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Greetings, Habte!

Lord have Mercy!

Yes, it very much matters who started it because the government is blaming the Copts, and the Church issued a statement saying what I am saying, that thugs infiltrated the march and instigated the violence, similar to what happens with the secret police in Iran and Syria.

As a firm follower of the wisdom of HIM Haile Selassie, in particular with the post-colonial partitions of African borders, HIM insisted over more than a decade of struggles that Africans keep the borders they inherited from the colonial system to prevent further splintering and separatists movements.  The South Sudanese are the one anomoly and the verdict is not yet in as to if it will prove a success or a fluke.  For Egypt, the Copts do not need a separate state, they just need a state which properly asserts and represents their interests, after all, Egypt is the Copts home too.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy, and convert the Muslims to Christianity.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: Egypt Coptic Orthodox Church persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: