OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 08:15:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can barely abide Church these days  (Read 2801 times) Average Rating: 0
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:24 PM »

I'm at my wit's end. The obscene, disrespectful, generally irreverent and personally rude behaviour that goes on in my parish is slowly driving me to stop going to Church.

Please pray that I will get my head and heart in the right place and keep going to Church.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy! I pray that things get better. Remember the prize at the end of the race.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »

Lord have mercy on you and your parish.

Wisdom of the Father, Jesus, give to your servant the wisdom to be able to discern how to approach this current situation, amen.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »

Very sorry to read this.  Lord, have mercy.

Where's the priest in this mess?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »

Lord have mercy!
ah! i would also say whatever you do, do not engage this spirit directly with those that it motivates, it will only harm you, takes away you peace, so stay calm and pray for the spirit of humility and love, attend all the services,keep in mind that sometimes trials come to the individual or to the group as a whole, so this is a time to hold on. the whole parish needs prayers right now, this is not an easy matter. i have seen parishes unravelled when this spirit took over. Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Maybe you should try a different parish.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:49:26 AM »

Lord have mercy!

If your parish didn't have saint-makers, how would you become a saint?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:28 AM »

Lord have mercy, is there perhaps another parish you could go to (If your curent one is causing you to fall into such despair)?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 02:12:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »

I'm at my wit's end. The obscene, disrespectful, generally irreverent and personally rude behaviour that goes on in my parish is slowly driving me to stop going to Church.

Please pray that I will get my head and heart in the right place and keep going to Church.

During Divine Services? During social time after Services? During other activities?

My own guidelines for Services:  Sit as close to the front as possible and close to the center. Focus on the Services (Priest/Chanters/Choir/etc.) without regard to what go on behind or beside you. Prior to and after communion focus on the preparation and thanksgiving prayers. Have a prayer taped in your Service book or otherwise available to pray during times that you may be easily distracted.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:51 AM »

I have the same problem but I've just let go and look to my own behavior..People in my parish talk and jabber during Church and while they go up to Communion shake hands and visit..I do not know their heart and I cannot and will not judge..I remember how I was raised and how my Baba and mother taught me how to behave so all of this is on me...I do ,however,refuse to talk in Church beyond a nod and "good morning"...Its kind of funny when people start to engage and I just say. " I'm sorry but I was taught to not talk in Church"....
I often wonder what people believe happens during Communion..but I know what I was taught so I behave accordingly.."put away all earthly cares" includes who is dating whom and how hard it is to find a parking place and all of this can be discussed during coffee hour if it needs to be discussed at all......
Having pews {YUCK} does make it more difficult to move...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »

Lord have mercy!

If your parish didn't have saint-makers, how would you become a saint?

Exactly.

This may sound trite, but it's just distilled from what I've read about holy people. When we adopt a positive attitude toward others, especially if they aggravate us, we create a change for the better in them and in us. Rather than become angry and stay away, we ought all the more to struggle and keep going and ask for God's help to be able to see our disrespectful brethren as still better than ourselves, for the visible hardly ever corresponds, in the truth of things, to the invisible. Our Lord appeared as an ordinary man, and yet was God. We appear pious, and yet harbor all kinds of filth in our hearts. Others may appear impious and disrespectful, and yet they do not indulge in passions as we do. We can't know. We are called to be a light to the world and to bear the burdens of others.

May God help you, them, and all of us.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »

Oh Akimori, I know how you feel. Sad the others do have good points about sticking it out. of course it is ultimately your decision but an ailing church needs people and belong to the body of the church in their unique way. If we all just left, what will be left?

I feel I might be sympathetic to your circumstances so Pm me if you need to rant.

Lord have mercy!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »

I totally understand where you're coming from, Akimori. I have wrestled with these same issues.  While it is easy to agree with Isa and stick it out for the sake of the kingdom, it is always so much harder to do it.  And while it is easy to also leave to find another parish, I don't think any parish (outside of a monastic church) will give you that sense of "quiet" for you to appropriately pray for your soul and those of others.  So, I am sorry that I have no solutions to give to you.  But your prayers are also mine.

One thing that you should absolutely do which has been already suggested:  Please, talk to your priest.  And do so, ASAP.

Kyrie eleison.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »

Try a ROCOR church.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

I used to have similar thoughts about my own parish, then I realized it's no more than I deserve. Who am I to complain? Ya know...

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »

Sensitive and nuanced advice from different perspectives -- thank you all so much for taking the time to pray for this unworthy sinner.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »

Try a ROCOR church.

This is quickly becoming an attractive option.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »

Try a ROCOR church.

This is quickly becoming an attractive option.
If you're single, do it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »

akimori makoto

Still praying and hoping that this is the case.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:32:51 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »

Me too.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »

*Bump*

Immediately following forgiveness vespers (I kid you not), my mum and I got verbally abused and physically intimidated by insane Greeks for our apparently bad parking.

What is with these people? How do they call themselves Christians when they are so full of malice and spite and hypocrisy? Is this a church or some sort of glorified marketplace of whores, robbers and liars?

I can't take this crap any more. I feel like I am going to snap one day and find the most WASP-y church possible and start attending there, just for a little sanity ...

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »

*Bump*

Immediately following forgiveness vespers (I kid you not), my mum and I got verbally abused and physically intimidated by insane Greeks for our apparently bad parking.

What is with these people? How do they call themselves Christians when they are so full of malice and spite and hypocrisy? Is this a church or some sort of glorified marketplace of whores, robbers and liars?

I can't take this crap any more. I feel like I am going to snap one day and find the most WASP-y church possible and start attending there, just for a little sanity ...
Akimori,

Please leave Australia. Come to America or Canada. There is nothing for you in that forsaken desert.

Have you ever looked at a Kangaroo's arms? No animal should have to have such arms.

Lord, have mercy

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »

*Bump*

Akimori,

Please leave Australia. Come to America or Canada. There is nothing for you in that forsaken desert.

Have you ever looked at a Kangaroo's arms? No animal should have to have such arms.

Lord, have mercy

Nicholas might have a point. I'd consider Britain as well; we have nice butterflies and no guns.

#laughs

Seriously though, i am still praying for your situation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:23:59 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »

*Bump*

Akimori,

Lord, have mercy

Nicholas might have a point. I'd consider Britain as well; we have nice butterflies and no guns.

#laughs

Seriously though, i am still praying for your situation.

You're more than welcome to come to Omaha.  We have plenty of nice Orthodox Churches in town and we haven't hung or run Greeks out of town since the early 1900's!

Also, we too have butterflies, and lots of guns!

All the same, I will pray for you that God gives you comfort in this issue, my friend.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »

fountain pen, didn't know u were in britain too, did u actually see any butterflies yet? it is much warmer than last week, so maybe there are some already. i wish u a lovely spring with many butterflies.

aikimori makoto, i also think u should visit another orthodox church. not to leave yr church, but just to find some spiritual food while u work on becoming a saint so u can love yr church more (and when u are a saint, pls tell us sinners how to love others more as well!)
if the other churches are terrible too, maybe u have a problem and u will get an idea what u have to work on. if the other churches are much more helpful, then u will have the spiritual nourishment u need to learn how to deal with yr church. sometimes people in the church do need to make changes, but u need to be humble about it, and i pray God will show u how to do that.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 12:28:54 AM »

Sad Lord have mercy!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:27 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Perhaps look into the ROCOR or an Old Calendar Church?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

I hate to tell you this, but there are sinners in the ROCOR and Old Calendar churches as well.  I bet any priests of those churches would tell you that you could very well run into these problems at any parish, unfortunately. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Have you shared these thoughts with your priest in confession?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »

Akimori, I'm sorry to hear how you were treated!  Remember, these are just people, and they aren't perfect.  Perhaps the husband and wife quarreled and simply took their frustration out on you.

You should pity the poor souls who can't control their temper, their actions or words.

You're need to simply "let it go".  I know it's hard, but, people will be rude to you, no matter where you are.  Don't take it to heart.

...like water off a ducks back.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »

Thank you all so much, for the prayers, the encouragement, the advice and for just allowing me a place to vent.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Have you shared these thoughts with your priest in confession?

I haven't, because I feel a strong temptation to allow the confession to become a private bitching session.

Father is aware of how I feel, though perhaps not the specifics of what goes on when he's not looking.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »

I think you should go for anyway. Tell him to tell you to shut up if you get too rant-ish, since you're worried about it.  Wink

At the very least, he should probably know some of the specifics.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »

In cases like that I would have just cussed back, and barely remembered the incident after. It works better.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »

In cases like that I would have just cussed back, and barely remembered the incident after. It works better.

I am pretty much with you on this one.  Better to have to confess a few terse words said to these people than have my whole faith in danger because I held it in.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: