OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chanting when praying at home?  (Read 377 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 12, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

How do i know how to do this? Do I just mimic what I hear at services, or is there a particular tone to use? To me, it just sounds like you say everything all on the same pitch, then at the end of the sentence or phrase you go up or down, then resolve it.

Is this one of those things that doesnt really matter?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:11:48 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »

To me, it just sounds like you say everything all on the same pitch, then at the end of the sentence or phrase you go up or down, then resolve it.

That's not chanting, that's simply reading in a monotone, so there are no tones involved here. Just pick a pitch that's comfortable and go with it. Going up or down at the end isn't necessary either, it's just something certain people do. It's all up to you.

And in any case, there's no need to read in a monotone when you're praying alone at home. You don't even have to read out loud. Whatever helps you pray.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »

I know I dont have to do it, but ive sort of "chanted" in my head as Ive read my prayers and it seems to help me stay focused.  And to clarify, the hymns and songs are always chanted at my parish, and they have certain tones set to them. But the prayers in liturgy, vespers, matins, etc., arent quite as elaborate, but still read in a sort of monotone way like mentioned above. That doesnt count as chanting? Maybe the way I am describing it isnt doing it justice...

When I asked my Priest about a prayer rule recently, he suggested what to pray and also suggested I chant them.  I just dont know how and havent gotten to ask him yet.

Any tips would be great!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

And dont give me the "just ask your priest" answer.  I will do it.  I know thats best.  But Im just curious if there are diffferent ways or if any of you do anything in particular when you chant prayers.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

For home prayers, the monotone should be fine. There are certain tones (in the Russian practice) for some of the Troparia of the standard Morning and Evening prayers, but if you don't know the tones yet, or your prayer book doesn't list them, don't worry about it. There is no typikon for the home.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »

No matter what you do, say your prayers as you mean them. Use the punctuation marks. Emphasize the points that jump up at you; meditate on them. The idea is to internalize the prayers so that they become your own. As for chanting, anything not declaimed/read, even on a single note monotone is in effect chanted. Make it also meaningful; remember that the readers at church chant/read in a monotone in order to avoid introducing their own spin. That is not operative when you are chanting on your own. It is OK if you go up or down a note on alternate sentences or paragraphs. Just don't start using a pop melody!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:48:02 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: