Author Topic: Wangari Matthai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, loses battle with cancer  (Read 370 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
Wangari Maathai was a Kenyan and founder of the Green Belt movement, which planted tens of millions of trees in the country. She won the Nobel Prize for Peace in 2004. Maathai passed away last month, following a struggle with cancer. 

From the article:
In 2008, Mrs Maathai was tear-gassed at a protest against President Kibaki's plan to increase the number of ministers in his cabinet.

"Wangari's legacy goes beyond Kenya - all over the world," said Prime Minister Raila Odinga. "We have lost a dedicated selfless Kenyan patriot.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
Re: Wangari Matthai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, loses battle with cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
Re: Wangari Matthai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, loses battle with cancer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
May the Lord have mercy on her soul,she was an incredible woman! Memory Eternal!
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.