OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:27:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article re "morning after pill"  (Read 3884 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »

Unfortunately, abortion itself has become almost as casual.

As for these pills, many women are walking around with scarred souls because they have unintentionally aborted their babies from the use of birth control pills. The pill doesn't always prevent pregnancy. Sometimes conception occurs and the effects of the pill prevent the nascent embryo from attaching to the uteran wall, causing an effective abortion.

Satan has materfully woven his anti-life lies into the consciousness of our culture, and may Christians have swallowed it whole.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam  

Never proven. Can't be. Good luck with moralizing biochemical theory.

The fact is that you can't disprove the comments in bold. That aside, let's deal with the biological fact that the effects of the birth control pill often include prevention of the implantation of a cenceived embryo on the unteran wall. Now whether or not you personally view this embryo as a human being is a different issue. But biologically it is objectively human life, the issue of "personhood" being a philosophical/theological matter outside of biology. This is not a matter of "moralizing biochemical theory;" it is a matter of recognizing objective biological fact and then assessing that fact in light of an Orthodox Christian worldview.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »

As for these pills, many women are walking around with scarred souls because they have unintentionally aborted their babies from the use of birth control pills. The pill doesn't always prevent pregnancy. Sometimes conception occurs and the effects of the pill prevent the nascent embryo from attaching to the uteran wall, causing an effective abortion.

Satan has materfully woven his anti-life lies into the consciousness of our culture, and may Christians have swallowed it whole.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam  

The fact is that you can't disprove the comments in bold. That aside, let's deal with the biological fact that the effects of the birth control pill often include prevention of the implantation of a cenceived embryo on the unteran wall. Now whether or not you personally view this embryo as a human being is a different issue. But biologically it is objectively human life, the issue of "personhood" being a philosophical/theological matter outside of biology. This is not a matter of "moralizing biochemical theory;" it is a matter of recognizing objective biological fact and then assessing that fact in light of an Orthodox Christian worldview.

Selam

No it's theory. Keep trying.

Smarter people than you have conceded the issue on this. Not just smarter but actually attempt such experimental design. It does happen, but causality has never been shown. I know people who are sympathetic to your world view who work in such fields and cannot with intellectual integrity come to your conclusion.

I would like to explain to you the difficulty experiment design, not to mention data analysis, that goes into trivial consumer product development, much less such experiments involving human subjects.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:46:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam  

Selam

No it's theory. Keep trying.

Smarter people than you have conceded the issue on this. Not just smarter but actually attempt such experimental design. It does happen, but causality has never been shown. I know people who are sympathetic to your world view who work in such fields and cannot with intellectual integrity come to your conclusion.

I would like to explain to you the difficulty experiment design, not to mention data analysis, that goes into trivial consumer product development, much less such experiments involving human subjects.

Your obfuscation is obscured by your obtuseness. Perhaps you could address my points one by one, without the dismissive sarcasm.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »

I understood him. Sometimes the embryo just doesn't implant on the uterine wall, it can happen naturally. It's not been shown by experiment that the MAP causes this or makes it more likely.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »

I understood him. Sometimes the embryo just doesn't implant on the uterine wall, it can happen naturally. It's not been shown by experiment that the MAP causes this or makes it more likely.

Darn. I was writing a rhyme to respond.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »

Twas my crime, I stopped your rhyme. Does that make me slime at this time, since I declined to play the mime?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »

Twas my crime, I stopped your rhyme. Does that make me slime at this time, since I declined to play the mime?

Dude mine was full on twenty words and going of bending and bowing of alliterative assonance around the dangers of when illiterates alliterate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:43:50 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »

Uh....

How now, brown cow?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »

Post it or it's not true.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »

Uh....

How now, brown cow?

It had obtuse nous all sorta sooth and loose allusions to Gebre's weak act.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »

Uh....

How now, brown cow?

It had obtuse nous all sorta sooth and loose allusions to Gebre's weak act.
I've got good nous and bad nous.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »

The first part of your statement is correct. Sometimes the embryo naturally does not implant on the uterine wall. The second part of your statement is patently false. The birth control pill and the MAP do make it much more likely for the embryo to implant on the uterine wall; in fact, that's part of the designed purpose of these pills.

Selam

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

Sorry senora Liora Is-mi, or Is You senorita?
Post the photos of the wedding night por favora.
Or we're not gonna believe it.
Not of the reception, but rather when you *skips the track*

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »

I don't even know what to say.

Actually, I do, and there is a short window to hear it.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »

Gotta hold some of those syllables and rhymes back.
For when I cut my own dub poetry whack.
When it comes to alphabets
I am the alpha and he's the betta, or guppy caught in the nets.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:31:41 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »

The first part of your statement is correct. Sometimes the embryo naturally does not implant on the uterine wall. The second part of your statement is patently false. The birth control pill and the MAP do make it much more likely for the embryo to implant on the uterine wall; in fact, that's part of the designed purpose of these pills.

Selam
I don't that's been proven. The pills are made to stop ovulation.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »

Gotta hold some of those syllables and rhymes back.
For when I cut my own dub poetry whack.
When it comes to alphabets
I am the alpha and he's the betta, or guppy caught in the nets.

For someone who claims to have rubbed elbows with Ice Cube, your poetic verse is sorely lacking. Just sayin'.   Wink

Selam

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »

Thank you orthonorm for making this thread great LOL.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »

He has been scolded thoroughly for his insolence.

--
--
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: