OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Post apologizes for pro-family ad, donates proceeds to gay activist gro  (Read 843 times) Average Rating: 0
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »

September 30, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Canadian National Post, which until the advent of SUN news network was thought to be the most conservative national mainstream media outlet in the country, has shocked conservatives by apologizing for running a pro-family advertisement. Moreover, the National Post says it will be donating the thousands of dollars paid for the ad by the pro-family group to a homosexual activist group.

The ad, sponsored by the Institute for Christian Values, depicted a large picture of a little girl with the header, “Please! Don’t confuse me.”  Below the photo, the youngster said, “I’m a girl. Don’t teach me to question if I’m a boy, transsexual, transgendered, intersexed or two spirited.” The ad specifically addressed the Toronto District School Board’s policy of forbidding parents to opt out of its pro-homosexual curriculum.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-national-post-apologizes-for-pro-family-ad-donates-proceeds-to-gay

I'm going to need this.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »

That ad is ridiculous. Fail on both sides.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »

What's a gay activist gro?  Huh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »

The last thing the girl lists is 'two-spirited.' Wonder what that is?  Huh

I remember when the most controversial thing in school was how long it took library paste to solidify.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

It's where they grow gay people.

I'm going to need this.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »

Nature, not nurture?  Huh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:03 PM »

I find the title of the article to be just as perplexing as the advertisement under discussion. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:40 AM »

It's where they grow gay people.

Like borg incubation chambers?  Station!

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

I guess that "trans genderism" is the next thing that will be forced down veryones throats with not a word of criticism or complant tolerated against it.  Is "I'm a man trapped in a women's body" or visa versa bound to become the next version of "coming out of the closet"?  Are we going to have to site back and watch this horrible and disgusting fad become the next "gay rights" movement (If it hasn't done so already)?  This sick form of psycho babble which takes obviously mentally disturbed people and promotes their hangups and obsessions in order to further fuel the agenda which seeks to destroy all that remains of the family and Christian morality in our society?

I guess so.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Aaron M

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: nothing

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »

I guess that "trans genderism" is the next thing that will be forced down veryones throats with not a word of criticism or complant tolerated against it.  Is "I'm a man trapped in a women's body" or visa versa bound to become the next version of "coming out of the closet"?  Are we going to have to site back and watch this horrible and disgusting fad become the next "gay rights" movement (If it hasn't done so already)?  This sick form of psycho babble which takes obviously mentally disturbed people and promotes their hangups and obsessions in order to further fuel the agenda which seeks to destroy all that remains of the family and Christian morality in our society?

I guess so.

"Trans genderism" as a next issue/thing is already here, and has been for at least five to ten years (more likely 20, my wild guess).  In college, I briefly attended meetings of the campus branch of LGBTQA ('Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Alliance' ... the 'Q' could also mean "questioning", I gathered.)  I just think that there are a lot fewer "transgenders" in the general population than there are (the already relatively small, maybe two to five percent) of homosexuals.  But definitely they are here.

(Personally, I wouldn't worry so much how about the agendas of such 'sick and obviously mentally disturbed people...' are seeking to destroy all that remains of Christian morality.  This society threw itself away as far as true Christian morality is concerned many, many years ago (before I was born, at least.)  But a hopeful start of some small semblance of that bygone morality might be to look at how the Catholic, Orthodox, and/or Protestant churches are reducing the divorce or annulment rate in their segments of the population.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:26:47 PM by Aaron M » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »

I think those people who identify as transgendered are the last people you need to worry about.  Most of them actually live quiet lives and have no interest in being involved in any movement, particularly the gay and lesbian movement with which they don't tend to identify with.  Most people who identify as transgendered seek to blend in with everyone else.  There are certainly extremist gender movements that exist, but good luck actually finding them in any significant numbers. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:49:26 PM »

"Two spirited" is what some native American groups supposedly called transvestite/transgender folks.

The name fits within the Abrahamic understanding of the condition, in a way the people that embrace it would find so horribly offensive they'd go bananas.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:55:10 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »

First, the ad was made by someone who apparently doesn't know the basic rules of creating an ad. Are those six different font sizes I see? The ad should be banned for that reason alone.

Second, it's quite sad to see the National Post go down this road, especially since it was founded as a conservative alternative to the liberal Globe and Mail. While I can completely understand pulling an ad that risks having other major advertisers pull out, donating money made on the ad to a group which supports an opposing agenda is just wrong.

Third, I wonder what this says for Freedom of Speech in the media? It is something which has been tenuous in Canada for some time, but usually it can resist full capitulation.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »

"Two spirited" is what some native American groups supposedly called transvestite/transgender folks.

The name fits within the Abrahamic understanding of the condition, in a way the people that embrace it would find so horribly offensive they'd go bananas.

Do you mean "two-spirited" as in possessed by a demon? If so, a great turn of phrase!
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »

Do you mean "two-spirited" as in possessed by a demon? If so, a great turn of phrase!

Sometimes there is truth in things that are supposed to be multi-kulty feel good, just not what the people that came up with it intended.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »

I think those people who identify as transgendered are the last people you need to worry about.  Most of them actually live quiet lives and have no interest in being involved in any movement, particularly the gay and lesbian movement with which they don't tend to identify with.  Most people who identify as transgendered seek to blend in with everyone else.  There are certainly extremist gender movements that exist, but good luck actually finding them in any significant numbers. 

Hmmm. that sounds like the same thing we heard about the Gay/Lesbian movement 30 years ago ("They just want to live quiet lives and not worry about being fired, discriminated against because of their lifestyle").  I wonder how long it will be before "trans gender" parades start popping up all over the place and "trans gender" communties are formed in large cities?  History has a tendency to repeat itself, especially with regards to movements so similar.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »

("They just want to live quiet lives and not worry about being fired, discriminated against because of their lifestyle")

Or they didn't want to be declared mentally ill. Or go back a few more years, and they didn't want to be imprisoned. They weren't big on being chemically castrated either, from what I can tell. Turing wasn't, anyway.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »

September 30, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Canadian National Post, which until the advent of SUN news network was thought to be the most conservative national mainstream media outlet in the country, has shocked conservatives by apologizing for running a pro-family advertisement. Moreover, the National Post says it will be donating the thousands of dollars paid for the ad by the pro-family group to a homosexual activist group.

The ad, sponsored by the Institute for Christian Values, depicted a large picture of a little girl with the header, “Please! Don’t confuse me.”  Below the photo, the youngster said, “I’m a girl. Don’t teach me to question if I’m a boy, transsexual, transgendered, intersexed or two spirited.” The ad specifically addressed the Toronto District School Board’s policy of forbidding parents to opt out of its pro-homosexual curriculum.
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-national-post-apologizes-for-pro-family-ad-donates-proceeds-to-gay

I heard this being discussed on talk radio up where I live..  The publisher of the national Post came on the radio to explain that the ad was pulled because it was misleading: it implied that the curriculum's aim was to confuse children.  And he cited other ads by the same group that his newspaper has carried in the past.
It was a stupid ad: poorly worded.  End of story.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: