OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church  (Read 3930 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: October 07, 2011, 03:13:43 AM »

They say that "He gave God no glory and taught sin".  These people have just become a bad caricature of themselves

http://www.webpronews.com/steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-picketed-by-westboro-church-2011-10

Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church
Announced via tweet sent from iPhone...

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »

Every time I hear something of these hate-mongers, I want to punch a wall.  Angry

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:34 AM »

LOL

Needs more Anonymous attacks against them

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:51:50 AM »

They say that "He gave God no glory and taught sin".  These people have just become a bad caricature of themselves

http://www.webpronews.com/steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-picketed-by-westboro-church-2011-10

Why do we even glorify this church by talking about them here?
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:05:33 AM »

I agree except for one thing I wouldn't even give them the title of being a "church" at all
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »

I agree except for one thing I wouldn't even give them the title of being a "church" at all

I was thinking that too lol! That, and they don't deserve the honor of calling themselves "christians" either.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

Sometimes I think they are a creation of intrests hostile to Christianity to perpetuate negative propaganda.

Antiochian OC N.A.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »

Sometimes I think they are a creation of intrests hostile to Christianity to perpetuate negative propaganda.

You might be right! That is about the only thing that makes sense regarding these people.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »

You might be right! That is about the only thing that makes sense regarding these people.

This might be unrelated. But why do Atheist have funerals anyway?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »

To give their families a chance to gather, mourn, talk about their loved one, and see them before they're buried?  Huh

I get what you are getting at, but that's like asking why atheists celebrate Christmas. There are reasons outside the meaning of the ceremony that people follow tradition, as incomplete as it is.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »

Do we have to refer to them as a 'church' or even as a 'Christian' group? I think they are neither and the rest of us, Orthodox, Catholics and Protestants alike ought to call it as it is as to allow them the dignity of those terms denigrates all of the rest of us. I know that it would be tough to reach consensus, but shouldn't we try?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

I like to think that it's one of the subjects that the Christian community COULD reach a consensus on.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »

I like to think that it's one of the subjects that the Christian community COULD reach a consensus on.

Seeing as how those who promote immoral agendas are capable of at least as much hate as this group which protests various immoral agendas, I am surprised that the group hasn't been attacked or
"eliminated" yet.  It is one small church with perhaps a hundred members, most of whom are members of the same family.  I am certainly *not* advocating any violence towards them, I am only surprised that they have not been violently attacked on account of the horrible slogans they shout out and carry on signs at various events. 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »

Oh dear Lord. Why don't these silly fruit loops take a day off once in a while?  Tongue

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »

Lord, have mercy on these people.

This church is an example of what happens when sola scriptura is taken TOO far!!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think that the insistence on regularly covering the actions (and people regularly reading the stories) of a tiny, controversial group may factor in with that.  Whatever the intentions, unfortunately it does perpetuate negative propaganda.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:23:35 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »

Lord, have mercy on these people.

This church is an example of what happens when sola scriptura is taken TOO far!!!

Amen.

I'm also glad to see that the article describes them as "fringe" and not evangelical or conservative. 
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Do we have to refer to them as a 'church' or even as a 'Christian' group? I think they are neither and the rest of us, Orthodox, Catholics and Protestants alike ought to call it as it is as to allow them the dignity of those terms denigrates all of the rest of us. I know that it would be tough to reach consensus, but shouldn't we try?

For me they are a cult hiding behind the name "Christian".

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »

Alright I have tried to make a list. According to this "church" God appearently hates the following:
America, soldiers, catholics/orthodox (they believe we are basically the same), all other protestant churches, jews, gays, hindus, buddhists, atheists, Steve Jobs and Sweden.

Actually I have an idea about what they could do to make it all much more easy.
Just make a sign which says: GOD HATES EVERYONE EXCEPT US!!

They claim that they will be judging the world together with Christ. I guess it is going to be a looooooong judgement day.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »

Alright I have tried to make a list. According to this "church" God appearently hates the following:
America, soldiers, catholics/orthodox (they believe we are basically the same), all other protestant churches, jews, gays, hindus, buddhists, atheists, Steve Jobs and Sweden.

They claim that they will be judging the world together with Christ. I guess it is going to be a looooooong judgement day.

laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Very thrifty, and good for the environment (uses less cardboard). Yes!

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
David Leon

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

Now, I am not saying that I approve of everything that the people of Brandon, MS, did to the members of Westboro, but I do think that some of you may find it interesting. 

This link takes you to an article that details what happened in a small Mississippi town when members of Westboro tried to picket a local soldier's funeral.

http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »

^Well, those who live by the sword shouldn't expect to come up against butter knives. People being people, and all that.   angel

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »

^Well, those who live by the sword shouldn't expect to come up against butter knives. People being people, and all that.   angel

POM Nomination!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

POM Nomination!
Quoted also for this thread: OCnet Quotable Quotes
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »

^ laugh I'm flattered!

PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »

I'm not saying this town was wrong... and I abhor what Westboro stands for.  But, what if this was the NAACP in the 60's instead of Westboro?  Would we condone what the police dept. did?
David Leon

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »

Yes, Princess Mommy, I understand where you're coming from, and it does smack of good ole boy southern sensibility, but some of the things made me laugh.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »

I'm not condoning it; just saying it's to be expected.

As most people here are aware, I'm a conflicted pacifist. But whatever my views on warfare or our countries' involvement in the Middle East, if I were attending a soldier's funeral (even if I disagreed with that soldier's decision to be in the military in the first place), and these folk turned up with the venom that they spew, they should expect a slap around the head; at least verbally. Sorry if that offends, but it's the truth.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:46:11 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

I'm not saying this town was wrong... and I abhor what Westboro stands for.  But, what if this was the NAACP in the 60's instead of Westboro?  Would we condone what the police dept. did?

Ahem. There's just a slight difference between black Americans campaigning for civil rights, and a renegade, extremist "religious" group bent on inflicting mayhem on folks going about their business - in many cases, sacred observances. If you can't see the hypocrisy in Westboro's modus operandi ....
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »

Ahem. There's just a slight difference between black Americans campaigning for civil rights, and a renegade, extremist "religious" group bent on inflicting mayhem on folks going about their business - in many cases, sacred observances. If you can't see the hypocrisy in Westboro's modus operandi ....

I'm not saying their method or messages were similar... what I'm asking is; don't they have the right to free speech - even when it is offensive?  Yes, they are spewing hatred, but is only sweetness and light allowed to have free speech in America?   I bet there were plenty of whites who thought the NAACP was offensive back in the day.   

Many people today say Christians are offensive and spewing homophobic hatred because of our stance on homosexuality.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »

The guys from English Top Gear found their freedom of speech getting an ugly response in Alabama!  laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG0D2nRGrQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLDB215A78A5234DF5

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

I'm not saying their method or messages were similar... what I'm asking is; don't they have the right to free speech - even when it is offensive?  Yes, they are spewing hatred, but is only sweetness and light allowed to have free speech in America?   I bet there were plenty of whites who thought the NAACP was offensive back in the day.   

Many people today say Christians are offensive and spewing homophobic hatred because of our stance on homosexuality.

Although I hate their message, I would certainly support their right to free speech.  It could get dangerous if the govt stepped in and told people what they can and cant say.  Thats a slippery slope that could eventually effect what we are allowed to say about our faith.  Its a long shot, and it may or may not happen, but I prefer to just keep our first amendment rights the way they are.  I wish other people in the world had the same right too... 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »

these guys are really pathetic... Angry
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »

these guys are really pathetic... Angry

Indeed. A really, really stupid thing to do. Stupid and dangerous. And the reaction, while appalling is understandable. In reality "freedom of speech" doesn't cover what is purposefully offensive, does it? The Westboro people know that and now the guys from Top Gear know it, too.  Wink

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

The guys from English Top Gear found their freedom of speech getting an ugly response in Alabama!  laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG0D2nRGrQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLDB215A78A5234DF5

Hilarious. Hot pink. Yes!   Cheesy

spcasuncoast.org
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »

Hilarious. Hot pink. Yes!   Cheesy

Yeah, I was torn between hysterics and horror when I saw the episode!

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »

Every time I hear something of these hate-mongers, I want to punch a wall.  Angry

Every time I hear something of these hate-mongers, I … somehow don't care. Tongue
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 12:10:01 AM »

Every time I hear something of these hate-mongers, I … somehow don't care. Tongue

How terribly placid of you.  angel Not being half as sainted, I hate to see Christ's name linked with bigots and hate-mongers and can't help but sense some degree of irritation. Fortunately, it is not so out of control so that any of my walls are in need or repair, or I haven't broken my hand.  Grin I guess that in some small way I'm winning against my horrendous passions.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »

Oooooh, yes! Remember that episode very well!  laugh laugh laugh Goes to show that some folks' idea of free speech often don't extend to humor or satire. Some notion of "free speech" ....

And what the Westboro folks are doing ain't humorous nor satirical. Think about it.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 12:24:08 AM »

Oooooh, yes! Remember that episode very well!  laugh laugh laugh Goes to show that some folks' idea of free speech often don't extend to humor or satire. Some notion of "free speech" ....

And what the Westboro folks are doing ain't humorous nor satirical. Think about it.

laugh

bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »

From the flak I am getting for saying it is a violation of the US Flag Code to fly the US Flag half staff in honor of Mr. Jobs it appears that the computer geeks of the world and MAC addicts are ready to canonize him a saint!!!  One response almost accused me of blasphemy.  Excuse me for this deviation from Westboro.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 02:07:01 PM »

What do you expect the company of which he was the co-founder to do? Hold your horses.  Roll Eyes

Flag lowerings are not always associated with the military. Where I live, we've had them for the deaths of police officers.

Apple headquarters is not a military installation. Nobody's life was endangered by what they did.

You just want to sound holier than the people who liked him. Well, a lot of people liked him. You don't have to, but it's no skin off your nose to just leave people alone. It's a free country and people are going to do what they want.

Let's see you invent something.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:07:47 PM by biro » Logged

spcasuncoast.org
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

From the flak I am getting for saying it is a violation of the US Flag Code to fly the US Flag half staff in honor of Mr. Jobs it appears that the computer geeks of the world and MAC addicts are ready to canonize him a saint!!!  One response almost accused me of blasphemy.  Excuse me for this deviation from Westboro.

I agree with you. It's a slippery slope once you start violating the US Flag Code. The next thing you know it'll be half mast for Donald Trump or Terry Jones and who knows next.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »

"The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as suggested. Cases which have construed the former 36 U.S.C. § 17521 have concluded that the Flag Code does not proscribe conduct, but is merely declaratory and advisory."

So go ahead and lower your flags to half staff on your own property.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: