OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:41:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church  (Read 3417 times) Average Rating: 0
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »

I'm not saying this town was wrong... and I abhor what Westboro stands for.  But, what if this was the NAACP in the 60's instead of Westboro?  Would we condone what the police dept. did?
It's odd that you make that particular comparison, since Phelps used to work as a civil rights attorney and received an award from the Kansas chapter of the NAACP. I've always wondered just how he made the leap from being one of the good guys to being so justly disdained. Anyhow, the funeral will be a private affair in an undisclosed location:
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-07/tech/tech_innovation_steve-jobs-funeral_1_apple-employees-apple-retail-stores-apple-co-founder-steve-jobs?_s=PM:TECH
So unless the Westboro folks have some inside information, it looks like they won't be picketing this one. They did a fine job of attention-whoring as always.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »

I just watched Fall From Grace last week (a documentary about the church) and his daughter claims that it's a psychological obsession with anger that fuels him. "Fags" just happen to be persona non grata. They're just a target for him.

Of course it is much, much more complex than that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:06:59 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »

There are noncanonical groups calling themselves Orthodox who have more clergy than laity and speak with more sense than this group.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »

I just watched Fall From Grace last week (a documentary about the church) and his daughter claims that it's a psychological obsession with anger that fuels him. "Fags" just happen to be persona non grata. They're just a target for him.

ive seen that. very interesting, yet sad.  for some reason, these people have fascinated me for a while now.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:08 AM »

for some reason, these people have fascinated me for a while now.

That's understandable. They fascinate the way a lurid tabloid story, or a gruesome car wreck does.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »

Sometimes I think they are a creation of intrests hostile to Christianity to perpetuate negative propaganda.
You might be right! That is about the only thing that makes sense regarding these people.
This might be unrelated. But why do Atheist have funerals anyway?

The Jewish and traditional Christian treatment of death and mourning is brought up in secular grief courses (well, at least the ones I took at University) not for their religious content and message, but for their efficacy in helping the family and friends grieve and mourn in a way that allows for closure and minimal psychological effects (i.e. depression, etc.).  Funerals are part of said treatment - while there is a lot of pain in the moment, the funeral (and more so an open casket funeral) is a key component to accepting a person's death, and is a great opportunity for the community to support those who suffer most (spouses, children, close family, etc.).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Oh dear Lord. Why don't these silly fruit loops take a day off once in a while?  Tongue

Because they need a daily dose of attention?   Undecided

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 09:47:07 AM »

This church is an example of what happens when sola scriptura is taken TOO far!!!

From what I've read of and by them, it's not "sola scriptura" but more like "Sola Phelps"

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »

This church is an example of what happens when sola scriptura is taken TOO far!!!

From what I've read of and by them, it's not "sola scriptura" but more like "Sola Phelps"

Thats a much more accurate analysis.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »

Did you watch this on TV or is it something you can rent from your local Video/DVD store?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »

Did you watch this on TV or is it something you can rent from your local Video/DVD store?
Netflix streaming!

Ah, Netflix. Simultaneously the greatest love of my love and the bane of my existence. But yes, it's there. Mr. Ismi and I used to scope the local Blockbuster documentary sections, and we never saw it there, but you can give it a shot.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »

They say that "He gave God no glory and taught sin".  These people have just become a bad caricature of themselves

http://www.webpronews.com/steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-picketed-by-westboro-church-2011-10

Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church
Announced via tweet sent from iPhone...
Why don't they ever picket someone's birth, instead?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:25 AM »

They say that "He gave God no glory and taught sin".  These people have just become a bad caricature of themselves

http://www.webpronews.com/steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-picketed-by-westboro-church-2011-10

Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church
Announced via tweet sent from iPhone...
Oh, the irony of it all! laugh Tweeted from an iPhone, something created by a company Steve Jobs founded.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:57:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »

Sometimes I think they are a creation of intrests hostile to Christianity to perpetuate negative propaganda.
You might be right! That is about the only thing that makes sense regarding these people.
This might be unrelated. But why do Atheist have funerals anyway?

The Jewish and traditional Christian treatment of death and mourning is brought up in secular grief courses (well, at least the ones I took at University) not for their religious content and message, but for their efficacy in helping the family and friends grieve and mourn in a way that allows for closure and minimal psychological effects (i.e. depression, etc.).  Funerals are part of said treatment - while there is a lot of pain in the moment, the funeral (and more so an open casket funeral) is a key component to accepting a person's death, and is a great opportunity for the community to support those who suffer most (spouses, children, close family, etc.).

Thank you Father. I guess the focus is more on those who remain alive and to document history at it's closing.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: