OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:03:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funeral Question  (Read 964 times) Average Rating: 0
jmk1988

Faith: Lutheran (Orthodox Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Witchita and Mid America

« on: October 06, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »

I don't know why I am thinking about death but I would like to know the answer to this question. 

If I convert to Orthodoxy would I be eligible for a Orthodox Funeral if my husband does not convert?

Thanks!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

The status of your spouse doesn't really have any bearing on what you're "eligible" for.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »

Yes, you would be....with all the bells and whistles.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »

I don't know why I am thinking about death but I would like to know the answer to this question. 

If I convert to Orthodoxy would I be eligible for a Orthodox Funeral if my husband does not convert?

Thanks!

Yes.

And Orthodox funerals are the most beautiful I've ever attended.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
jmk1988

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »

This is why I asked the question.

http://www.stgeorgegoc.org/PastorsCornerFunerals.htm

Eligibility for Orthodox Funeral
Any person baptized in the Orthodox Church is entitled to a funeral service, with some exceptions. Individuals who are in severe violation of canon law including marriage outside of the Orthodox Church, cremation, suicide, and other circumstances are denied a funeral service in the Church. In some cases prayers, but not a full service, may be said at another location. The Diocesan Bishop will use discretion in deciding cases where mercy should be shown. In the case of a non-Orthodox person who is not connected to any other faith community/tradition, the priest can conduct a prayer service at a funeral home or some other venue to express the love and care of the church community. If you have any questions, please consult the priest to ensure that you are canonically in good standing with the Orthodox Church.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »

That's for those who get married outside of the Church after they become a member of it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »

If you are already married before your conversion to Orthodoxy, this doesn't apply.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »

Eligibility does ring wrong there though . . . Wow.

As does entitled.

As does, I am going to stop.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »

You qualify for a pre-approved funeral!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

jmk1988,

That's for those who get married outside of the Church after they become a member of it.

If you are already married before your conversion to Orthodoxy, this doesn't apply.

Precisely.  If you become Orthodox and your spouse does not, then you can still receive an Orthodox funeral/burial (spouse cannot, however).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

It worked better for the second part of the above-referenced page:

Funerals only for those who have accumulated 10,000+ worship points, 5 or more years of consecutive attendance in the parish, and who have waived their no-trade clause. Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jmk1988

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

Funerals only for those who have accumulated 10,000+ worship points, 5 or more years of consecutive attendance in the parish, and who have waived their no-trade clause. Wink
Well, I'm glad it is an attainable goal.  Thanks for the smile!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

There's bells and whistles at an Orthodox funeral?  Shocked

Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »

There's bells and whistles at an Orthodox funeral?  Shocked

Smiley

Not sure about whistles, but there are definitely bells: on the priest's censer, and sometimes the church bells might be rung.  Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »

This is why I asked the question.

http://www.stgeorgegoc.org/PastorsCornerFunerals.htm

Eligibility for Orthodox Funeral
Any person baptized in the Orthodox Church is entitled to a funeral service, with some exceptions. Individuals who are in severe violation of canon law including marriage outside of the Orthodox Church, cremation, suicide, and other circumstances are denied a funeral service in the Church. In some cases prayers, but not a full service, may be said at another location. The Diocesan Bishop will use discretion in deciding cases where mercy should be shown. In the case of a non-Orthodox person who is not connected to any other faith community/tradition, the priest can conduct a prayer service at a funeral home or some other venue to express the love and care of the church community. If you have any questions, please consult the priest to ensure that you are canonically in good standing with the Orthodox Church.

Depends on you parish and bishop. I never saw anyone from home denied on that basis. Perhaps some of the 'traditionalist' folks feel differently, but mainstream - no problem.
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »

can you have bag pipes played at an Orthodox funeral  and what if you pass before you are a full member of the church ?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »

LBK, I was being cheeky. Sorry about that.  Embarrassed Smiley

Jewish voice, I've heard that if you are officially a catechumen and you die while you are in the process of joining the church, you will receive an Orthodox funeral. Yippee! That is a comfort to me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:20:48 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »

A catechumen not yet baptised or chrismated will be given an Orthodox funeral. No bagpipes (or other non-liturgical music or song) during the service itself, though it might be possible as the casket is brought into the church before the service starts, or at the gravesite after the interment.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »

LBK, I was being cheeky. Sorry about that.  Embarrassed Smiley

What's there to apologise for?  laugh laugh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »

can you have bag pipes played at an Orthodox funeral  and what if you pass before you are a full member of the church ?

LBK answered your questions in reply #17.  Yes, you can get a funeral if you're a catechumen, and no bagpipes in the Church, during the service, or between the Church service and the graveside one.  Before the service, after the burial, but that's it. (And it depends on the Bishop, who could waive the rule for a special reason - when in doubt, always consult the local hierarch through your parish priest.)

---------------------
Red A.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »

Can I cash in my frequent flier miles?
jmk1988

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »

I am not a Catechumen yet.  I was channel surfing through the TV today and saw the RC Bishop funeral being televised and questions started to pop in my head. 
My sister once told me that she attended a RC funeral and the person was baptised at their funeral.  I watched the funeral to see if this was the practice.  I saw no baptism, only Holy Comunion.  I'm not trying to compare the two but it brought up a question that I had not thought to ask during my inquiring into Orthodoxy.
I am gonna die afterall but I just hadn't thought about my funeral.
jmk1988

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »

Ok, after reading my post it did not make any sense.  I called my sister to clarify her remarks on the baptism of a man at his RC funeral.  Apparently the man was a non practicing Methodist and had not stepped foot in church in many years.  His devout RC wife had him baptised at his funeral.  Does this make sense?  I have many RC friends but afraid to ask this question.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »

Ok, after reading my post it did not make any sense.  I called my sister to clarify her remarks on the baptism of a man at his RC funeral.  Apparently the man was a non practicing Methodist and had not stepped foot in church in many years.  His devout RC wife had him baptised at his funeral.  Does this make sense?  I have many RC friends but afraid to ask this question.

RCs do (should?) not baptize anyone at their funeral masses.  I saw the funeral mass of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy and no baptism occurred.

Mormons baptize their dead.  I don't know if Mormons broadcast their funeral services since they are rather strict in allowing people to enter their temples where such events take place.   Huh
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »

Rubbish. No such thing happens in the Roman Catholic Church.
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »

Rubbish. No such thing happens in the Roman Catholic Church.

Perhaps they sprinkled some holy water which someone may mistake for a baptism?

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 02:27:46 AM »

Perhaps they sprinkled some holy water which someone may mistake for a baptism?

That would be my guess - the priest uses the aspergillium to sprinkle the casket with holy water.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
jmk1988

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 07:36:29 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  I am very happy to be able to ask my questions through this forum. 
Tags: funeral  death 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: