OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad jobs  (Read 7652 times) Average Rating: 0
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

Interesting:
A old man was praying to God to show him people better than him and God showed him a woman dancing for men to fed her children since other job was not available.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »

Well, that would have saved me a lot of grief if I heard that story when I was unemployed.  laugh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »

Interesting:
A old man was praying to God to show him people better than him and God showed him a woman dancing for men to fed her children since other job was not available.

Pasadi, pasadi... where does this one come from? 
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »

Somehow I think God would not approve of a woman using herself as a tool for men to sin. Mcdonalds is always hiring.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »

Somehow I think God would not approve of a woman using herself as a tool for men to sin. Mcdonalds is always hiring.

PP

If you don't think eating Micky D's is a sin you ain't been to one in a long time.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »

PP

If you don't think eating Micky D's is a sin you ain't been to one in a long time.
Oh yeah?!?!?!? Well......your face is!!!!!! THERE!
 Cheesy

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »

PP

Oh yeah?!?!?!? Well......your face is!!!!!! THERE!
 Cheesy

PP

See how this level of witty back and forth between us just doesn't translate into written words on a screen?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »

You guys are witty?  Huh

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »

You guys are witty?  Huh
In an elementary school sort of way.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »

I was jking, they are witty, but not in this particular conversation.  laugh

Mm...McDonalds.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »

You guys are witty?  Huh

Never ceases to fail the only time people don't understand irony around here is when it is irony and not whatever people . . .

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

You guys are witty?  Huh

Never ceases to fail the only time people don't understand irony around here is when it is irony and not whatever people . . .
I hope that you are commenting on the comment of my comment because I was joking.

--
--
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »

Let's give Pasadi a break: the man asking God could indeed be a worse sinner than the dancer--he could be her pimp for example. Then the Lord's answer would be true and remind the man that he is a very bad person.

Pasadi--Why did you think that this was "interesting" and why did you expect from us in the way of replies?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »

I was jking, they are witty, but not in this particular conversation.  laugh

Mm...McDonalds.

New thread topic: what have people said recently that made you wish nothing ever existed?

Yesterday in line for something. After an obviously ironic comment that wasn't funny at all. A guy said to the girl he was with (on an obvious first date):

jk

I felt terrible for her, until I heard her say:

This is like the only time ever I've lived with non-athletes. Its like so different. I mean everything is so casual. I literally can't believe I like it better than when I lived with x, y, z, etc. It is harder though to keep up the dis though.

x, y, z, etc. Known local relatively famous (to the degree a woman athlete at university can be famous) women athletes. And I imagine dis was short for discipline.

My brain came to such a stand still of dis-belief, I nearly stroked or something.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:09:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »

Let's give Pasadi a break: the man asking God could indeed be a worse sinner than the dancer--he could be her pimp for example. Then the Lord's answer would be true and remind the man that he is a very bad person.

Pasadi--Why did you think that this was "interesting" and why did you expect from us in the way of replies?

Second, my dear friend, here we agree.

Some of us here are Solo Pasadists.

Let's give him more than a break. Let's give him our unquestioning devotion.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »

I was jking, they are witty, but not in this particular conversation.  laugh

Mm...McDonalds.

New thread topic: what have people said recently that made you wish nothing ever existed?

Yesterday in line for something. After an obviously ironic comment that wasn't funny at all. A guy said to the girl he was with (on an obvious first date):

jk

I felt terrible for her, until I heard her say:

This is like the only time ever I've lived with non-athletes. Its like so different. I mean everything is so casual. I literally can't believe I like it better than when I lived with x, y, z, etc. It is harder though to keep up the dis though.

x, y, z, etc. Known local relatively famous (to the degree a woman athlete at university can be famous) women athletes. And I imagine dis was short for discipline.

My brain came to such a stand still of dis-belief, I nearly stroked or something.

I need to talk to you in person because when you type online, sometimes I don't know the **** what you are saying. I had to read this three times. You need to utilize quotation marks or something.

I am trying to think of something to top that statement, but I will not say it or I will end up revealing what I did last weekend. And I am tres ashamed.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »

I need to talk to you in person because when you type online,

we had joy we had fun we had
seasons in the sun
but the wine and the song like the
seasons have all gone

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

So that's a no. Wink

Okay, I'll partially reveal where I was. I was at some live event for a reality TV show that my family and I watch religiously (well, I haven't in months, but it still has a place in my heart). I thought that there would be fans like us, fans who loved the show yet basically spent the entire time mocking the characters (I know, not very Christian of me).

Oh, but no. Everyone in the audience was dolled up to the nines at 3 PM or whatever time the show was, and they were the fans of the worst kind. They actually wanted to be these botoxed, catty women. The Q&A session was just awful, and we couldn't stop tittering in the back of the room.

One of the questions:
"You all are the most inspiring women in the world and I hope to be like you someday! What's your secret?"

If they had answered "Botox," I would have respected them more.

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

I need to talk to you in person because when you type online, sometimes I don't know the **** what you are saying.

I would publish here the only "chat" I've ever had with my best non-friend. He is the 5th smartest human I've met.

I would defy you to make sense of it. It lasted about 65 words and yet we said more than most people I write to in years.

But it has bad words in it.

Now all of the above has everything to do with try to do three things at once and having a brain injury that still affects my typing when I drop words, inflect, decline, homo, you know the problem.

But my brain injury did give me the ability feel sounds more clearly, so that sucks even more.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:31:32 PM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »

I don't mean to make you feel bad about your brain injury, although you are still smarter than i'll ever be. I'm just talking about quotation marks here.

But yes, it's the doing three things at once. The maintenance man just gave me a weird look (they're invading my apartment).

And I expect a transcript of that chat by 5 PM, thanks.  Kiss Tongue I'm kind of mystified. If it was 65 words long, let me guess that at least 25 words are cuss words...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:35:28 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »

Saw thread title. Expected place to complain about crappy jobs you've had. Son i am disappoint.
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »

A thought:

Perhaps the guy was asking with an attitude of "I'm so great. There can't be anyone better than me." And perhaps the woman truly regretted what she was doing but maybe there was absolutely no job available and that's why she did what she had to do to take care of her children.

Perhaps the moral of the story is humility. No matter how great we think we are, someone who, in our eyes is a bad person, is much, much closer to God than we are.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:06 AM »

Interesting:

Very Crime and Punishment.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »

A thought:

Perhaps the guy was asking with an attitude of "I'm so great. There can't be anyone better than me." And perhaps the woman truly regretted what she was doing but maybe there was absolutely no job available and that's why she did what she had to do to take care of her children.

Perhaps the moral of the story is humility. No matter how great we think we are, someone who, in our eyes is a bad person, is much, much closer to God than we are.

I find the story to be problematic and I do not think we should discuss it or give it credence unless and until pasadi provides the relevant source information.  Is this found in a collection of the sayings of the Fathers, or is it just a story heard one day out on the street, or from a guy at the bar, or from woman who chose the same "occupation" referred to in the story?  The origin and source certainly matters.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »

Saw thread title. Expected place to complain about crappy jobs you've had. Son i am disappoint.

This is exactly what I thought too....

But to the OP, where do these stories come from?

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 08:59:34 AM »

This story come from a monk when I told him that I did a job that indirectly may push some people to some sins.
The man asking was a hermit that was thinking he is the greatest man alive as far as orthodoxy goes and the answer was from God. Big Mac does not exists at that time.
Just God is great. Recently I found a great prayer in a book, something like: Dear God act through me, speak thorugh me and help my neighbopur through me. Anybody can say it and God can do marvels.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:04:23 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

Second, my dear friend, here we agree.

Some of us here are Solo Pasadists.

Let's give him more than a break. Let's give him our unquestioning devotion.

I would not consider myself a "Solo-Psadist", but I do like the comment about the lions on the other thread.

This story seems like a revision of the story of the monk and the doctor/shoemaker (I've heard two versions of the story, now three).

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

It's a ridiculous story. God is not down with exotic dancing in public places.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 06:48:04 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 07:41:19 PM »

A thought:

I find the story to be problematic and I do not think we should discuss it or give it credence unless and until pasadi provides the relevant source information.  Is this found in a collection of the sayings of the Fathers, or is it just a story heard one day out on the street, or from a guy at the bar, or from woman who chose the same "occupation" referred to in the story?  The origin and source certainly matters.

Where the story came from doesn't matter. The point remains the same....humility. How often do we jump to condemn someone despite the fact that we have a huge log in our eye. No where did the story say that it was good to pick this kind of job. Instead, the man is shown that there are others that we may condemn who are closer to God then we are. It's a good reminder that we have no right to judge anyone. Let God deal with that.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

Anyway....

My first job, at about age 13, was a "bad job". Summer job working for the local school district cleaning up the schools. Worst part was perhaps the gum under the desks. Yuck. Even though they gave us this freeze stuff we could spray on it to make it easier, it was still quite disgusting. The other contender was hand scrubbing every single locker. I later washed dishes at a Denny's, and washing dishes was like a dream job compared to washing out lockers.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »

Agreed. Humility is certainly a Christian virtue, in fact one of the most important. And the provocative display of one's body in order to entice others to lust so that one may personally profit is quite the antithesis of humility.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:06:38 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »

Agreed. Humility is certainly a Christian virtue, in fact one of the most important. And the provocative display of one's body in order to entice others to lust so that one may personally profit is quite the antithesis of humility.

Selam

I don't know that i'd go that far. "Men", yes i agree but if it was your husband then that's a diifferent matter which is why i edited my post to add "...in public places."

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

Selam

I don't think the point of the story was to justify dancing, but to condemn slf-righteousness.

You can say that the dancing was as sinful as dancing can possibly get without justifying it, and still suggest that the "no one is more holy than me" self righteousness could be more sinful.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »

Selam

I don't think the point of the story was to justify dancing, but to condemn slf-righteousness.

You can say that the dancing was as sinful as dancing can possibly get without justifying it, and still suggest that the "no one is more holy than me" self righteousness could be more sinful.

That's not the problem, it's the justification of it that's the issue. They are only feeding their children etc., is implicit that the speaker <God> is saying it's okay then in that case.

FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »

Let's say the woman danced because she liked to turn men on.

Show of hands who thinks they are better than her?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »

Raise your hand if you think you are better than those who think they are better than a woman who dances to turn men on.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »

ha ha ha thats a good one ! an excellent use of double entendre laugh

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »

Selam

That's not the problem, it's the justification of it that's the issue. They are only feeding their children etc., is implicit that the speaker <God> is saying it's okay then in that case.
It's okay, or it's a mitigating factor that you know nothing about?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 12:56:28 AM »

Selam

In that case, I need a burka ASAP! //:=)

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 01:09:17 AM »

Who has the greater sin? The pole dancer trying to earn enough money to feed her children, or those who, having the power to rescue her from the circumstances that force her to sell herself, do nothing?

Do you honestly think that it's out of pride that a woman would take on such humiliating work?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:36:04 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2011, 06:04:03 AM »

Selam

It's okay, or it's a mitigating factor that you know nothing about?

From the sketchy information we were given by pasadi, it was the justifying factor or it wouldn't have been mentioned.

Who has the greater sin? The pole dancer trying to earn enough money to feed her children, or those who, having the power to rescue her from the circumstances that force her to sell herself, do nothing?

So your ability to judge only swings one way?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:06:28 AM by FountainPen » Logged

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »

I don't know about you all, but I am starting to be irritated by Pasadi's lack of participation in a thread that he started. Of course, as there are a myriad of reasons why he may not have been able to participate, I hope and pray that he is OK.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »

^The Pasadi works in mysterious ways...  Cool
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »

PP

Contrary to what you may think, jobs that are "easy to get" are not always so. I finished my graduate degree this summer, and despite my efforts, I was not able to have something lined up for when I graduated, and I was out of work until early this month. The interviews have been slow and lagging (only three companies in almost 2 months). But the real point is this: while looking for a 'real' job, I also looked at every grocery store and about 3 dominoes and papa johns to find a "tide me over" job. The companies known for "easy to get jobs" were even less receptive than the companies recruiting for more 'professional' positions.

Thank you Lord for grabbing me when I cried out for help

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »

Hi I am fine. I asked God how I can find a job and I did what I was told and 4 companies accepted me and I accepted 1 full time with overtime job and one half time job. On top of this are my studies and even my nights are busy and I want to do a great job on everything. I am very happy for these jobs.
The woman did not dance topless or something like this. I believe that the idea is this, if you have to choose between 2 sins, one to let your children lifes be destroyed by hunger and to dance, choose the smallest sin possible. And who knows, when dancing she may have prayed for people on the hall to be saved.

I think I wrote in another thread. There is in this world a bank that returns more than 100 $ for every $ you deposit. That is the bank of God.  That is giving money to the neighbour, prayers for the neighbour. Giving clothes , food, drinks and such to your neighbour works as well.I don't know how many of you did read that thread. So when God returns the money to you is not always cash. It is sometime through jobs sometime through gratuities in finding a new home, through gifts you receive , sometime even through wind bringing money to you or finding money on the ground and such. One day this year I made a deposit in that bank and now God is allowing me to do a withdrawal through these jobs.

What helps also with jobs:
1. To become a paid member of an Orthodox Church. By doing so you may enter under some prayers that are done for members of the Church and this helps greatly. The best years as jobs are concerned were when I was member.
2. There is a very powerfull prayer for the intercession of Mother of God that one monk told me. The name of the prayer is in Romanian "Paraclisul Maicii Domnului" When I needed something I would say it several times.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:53:33 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: