OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:30:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijabis Doing Things!  (Read 372 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

So here’s the deal. The past decade hasn’t exactly shed the best light on Islam. Muslim women are portrayed as oppressed, helpless, voiceless, and faceless in the mainstream media. The truth is, we’re everything but. And here is the proof. Here is our collection of pictures of women that wear hijab (the traditional Islamic dress covering the head) doing all kinds of things.

[This blog is run by three hijabi sisters, living in London, Ontario]

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »

So here’s the deal. The past decade hasn’t exactly shed the best light on Islam. Muslim women are portrayed as oppressed, helpless, voiceless, and faceless in the mainstream media. The truth is, we’re everything but. And here is the proof. Here is our collection of pictures of women that wear hijab (the traditional Islamic dress covering the head) doing all kinds of things.

Interesting to note that none of those pictures are from the Middle East...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

I like to read hijabi blogs, so this is a good way to see the fashion. I'm not sure what else, as most I see plenty of hijabis around my campus riding bikes, driving cars, whatever.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »

Interesting to note that none of those pictures are from the Middle East...

There are actually two from Malaysia and one from Syria. But who cares? They are still Muslim. Middle Eastern countries are still extremely conservative culturally. I don't think that is something to hold against Islam. There was a time (in the not so distant past) in the Christian world where women didn't have it much better than the family cow.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »

There was a time (in the not so distant past) in the Christian world where women didn't have it much better than the family cow.

You might want to check out Jesus Through the Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture (1985) Yale U. Press by Jaroslav Pelikan.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »

There was a time (in the not so distant past) in the Christian world where women didn't have it much better than the family cow.

You might want to check out Jesus Through the Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture (1985) Yale U. Press by Jaroslav Pelikan.

Care to elaborate?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: