OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:37:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 5003 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »

The problem with the majority of CCM is all of it is so saccharine, pompous and sanctimonous.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 01:49:20 AM »

fantastic record. man, the thought of that record makes me feel old. and it was even one of their newer ones!
Wasn't it shortly before they broke up? Yeah, '98. I listened to that CD so many times when I got it. Saw them in person one of those years shortly before they did separate acts. Aren't all of their newer ones their separate acts, Tait, Toby Mac, and Kevin Max?

Yes, but I think Toby's is the only successful one.  Kevin was doing pretty well, as he deserves because is voice is so phenomenal, but as i mentioned earlier hes gotten really weird...  Not sure whats up.
He was like a poetic hippy nut on his first separate CD. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but you could tell he was more into the poetic than the rock music. I haven't even heard Tait in years.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
brandb

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:29 AM »

fantastic record. man, the thought of that record makes me feel old. and it was even one of their newer ones!
Wasn't it shortly before they broke up? Yeah, '98. I listened to that CD so many times when I got it. Saw them in person one of those years shortly before they did separate acts. Aren't all of their newer ones their separate acts, Tait, Toby Mac, and Kevin Max?

Yes, but I think Toby's is the only successful one.  Kevin was doing pretty well, as he deserves because is voice is so phenomenal, but as i mentioned earlier hes gotten really weird...  Not sure whats up.
He was like a poetic hippy nut on his first separate CD. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but you could tell he was more into the poetic than the rock music. I haven't even heard Tait in years.

Tait is the new lead singer for the Newsboys.  Roll Eyes
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »

I guess hes doing ok too then! i didnt know that.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »

*ugh* so the Newsboys got raised from the grave as well huh......*sigh*

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »

PP

Worse: they never went away. They're like the Petra of the '90s

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
brandb

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 01:41:03 AM »

Tait is the new lead singer for the Newsboys.  Roll Eyes

PP

Agreed; I liked them sans Tait, but they really should have retired a long time ago.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:42:02 AM by brandb » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

Newsboys
Great....kind of like the Ric Flair of CCM. All flabby and drooling and old......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »

PP

Agreed; I liked them sans Tait, but they really should have retired a long time ago.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Yeah, they are a bit dated. They need to change things up, get a new sound, etc. at least.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:55:47 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
brandb

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:51 AM »

PP

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Yeah, they are a bit dated. They need to change things up, get a new sound, etc. at least.

They have a new sound but it's terrible. Michael learned nothing from the failure of his band Tait. ;P
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »

PP

They have a new sound but it's terrible. Michael learned nothing from the failure of his band Tait. ;P
What do you think their biggest mistake is that Michael should have learned?

brandb

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 02:09:27 AM »

That his version of "Jesus rock" simply doesn't sell. The Newsboys now sound just like Tait did back then, and we know that the band Tait is well and done. (To be fair, I liked the first album that his band put out, most of his issue is really just the CCM over-Christianization of everything. Case & point: see "Born Again" by the Newboys. ICK.)
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 02:36:02 AM »

That his version of "Jesus rock" simply doesn't sell. The Newsboys now sound just like Tait did back then, and we know that the band Tait is well and done. (To be fair, I liked the first album that his band put out, most of his issue is really just the CCM over-Christianization of everything. Case & point: see "Born Again" by the Newboys. ICK.)
Over-Christianization, that is a good term. I think I bought into that believing that over-Christianization was a good thing for too long. It's one of my beefs with some newer mainstream Protestant groups.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:37:05 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:17 AM »

I have a copy of Newsboys' Greatest Hits somewhere, not a bad CD at all.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »

I may have that. I know I have Love Liberty Disco, and I think it was Going Public. Elle G. was a great song.

brandb

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:16 AM »

I may have that. I know I have Love Liberty Disco, and I think it was Going Public. Elle G. was a great song.

Ooohhhh Love Liberty Disco, good times!  Cool That really takes me back...
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2011, 05:10:47 AM »

Ooohhhh Love Liberty Disco, good times!  Cool That really takes me back...
Oh yeah. I heard them play live when this was new.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: