OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:06:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 5152 times) Average Rating: 0
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »

I really don't listen to much of the music from my Protestant days, except for maybe DCTalk.

YES!!!!!

Possible reunion next year. Tour or album or both? And what genre will they be this time around?

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »

I really don't listen to much of the music from my Protestant days, except for maybe DCTalk.

YES!!!!!

Possible reunion next year. Tour or album or both? And what genre will they be this time around?

How many choices do they have left?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »

LOL about DC talk.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
brandb

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »

YES!!!!!

Like how they they lied about not being disbanded when everyone knew they were?
They're never getting back together you guys. Never.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »

YES!!!!!

Better than lying about your lead singer retiring to "devote time to youth ministry" when you really mean "is addicted to various substances and having affairs", as another popular CCM group from the '90s did.

"Disbanded" can be a nebulous term in an era when the average release schedule is once every 3 years or so as opposed to the 2-3 albums a year the Beatles were pulling. But yeah, the Talk was dead once everyone started contributing lyrics (I'm looking at you artiste emo boy Kevin).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

brandb

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »

YES!!!!!

Better than lying about your lead singer retiring to "devote time to youth ministry" when you really mean "is addicted to various substances and having affairs", as another popular CCM group from the '90s did.

"Disbanded" can be a nebulous term in an era when the average release schedule is once every 3 years or so as opposed to the 2-3 albums a year the Beatles were pulling. But yeah, the Talk was dead once everyone started contributing lyrics (I'm looking at you artiste emo boy Kevin).

True.
And psssh about Kevin. I bear more ill will toward Tobymac for being a dirty, dirty, sellout.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:33:07 PM by brandb » Logged
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »

YES!!!!!

True.
And psssh about Kevin. I bear more ill will toward Tobymac for being a dirty, dirty, sellout.

One of the things I always found funny about the CCM scene as opposed to the secular music field- in secular music you're a sell-out if you change your sound to either be more "relevant" or chase after record sales- so DC Talk would have been sell-outs circa Jesus Freak when they abandoned the hip-hop stylings that made them famous for their pseudo-grunge and TobyMac would merely (from what little of the post dc talk I've heard) be returning to form. In CCM you're a sell-out the second you start getting songs in movies and getting played on secular stations (and dc Talk would still have been the sell-outs- "Just Between You and Me" was a fairly decent hit on top 40 radio).

MxPx, on the other hand, are sell-outs no matter which way you slice it.

brandb

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »

Most non-underground Christian artists have become sellouts, much like any popular artist. I heard Plumb's latest song and I am tres disappointed. It's so trite. She is much better than that.

Haven't listened to Rebecca St. James's new album, though, but I love her more out of nostalgia (she was my first favorite CCM artist -- Christian lyrics and techno-ish background music, loved the combination!).

I love how she published a book about men when she just got married. Don't get me started on that. I rolled my eyes when I heard about that. Sometimes people will do anything to make money. She should have sat on that project for a couple of years.

^THIS. I haven't listened to an RSJ album since Transform. I also loved how the men she interviewed were men she knew, all from the same demographic. Then she had the nerve to get up on TV and say what she said.T_T Lost a lot of respect for her for that...

But I digress. What was this thread about? Things you miss about Protestantism?
Alas, unfortunately I'm not (yet) Orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »

I wanna hear the screamo or metalcore version of DC Talk.  Twould be awesome.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
brandb

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »

YES!!!!!

True.

One of the things I always found funny about the CCM scene as opposed to the secular music field- in secular music you're a sell-out if you change your sound to either be more "relevant" or chase after record sales- so DC Talk would have been sell-outs circa Jesus Freak when they abandoned the hip-hop stylings that made them famous for their pseudo-grunge and TobyMac would merely (from what little of the post dc talk I've heard) be returning to form. In CCM you're a sell-out the second you start getting songs in movies and getting played on secular stations (and dc Talk would still have been the sell-outs- "Just Between You and Me" was a fairly decent hit on top 40 radio).

MxPx, on the other hand, are sell-outs no matter which way you slice it.

Oooo +1 for MxPx Cheesy  

(Old school sellout MxPx, not the new sellout MxPx.)
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

I took all of the good things from Protestantism out with me, like Extol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVlOBbT5uCc&feature=related
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »

The earlier rap albums would be entirely too easy. The Jesus Freak album I'm sure has been done. The Supernatural album couldn't be awesome no matter what you do to it.

brandb

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »

YES.

The earlier rap albums would be entirely too easy. The Jesus Freak album I'm sure has been done. The Supernatural album couldn't be awesome no matter what you do to it.

I loved Supernatural. Tongue And it would have to be the earlier rap albums because Jesus Freak and Supernatural have both (not in their entirety) been covered by other bands as part of a "tribute to DC Talk" album.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »

[

I loved Supernatural. Tongue

I'm sorry, what part of "I'm a crotchety old man who thinks their last album wasn't as good as the first four and they really peaked at 'Nu Thang' anyway and you kids better get offa my lawn"  Angry are you not understanding?   angel

brandb

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

[

I loved Supernatural. Tongue

I'm sorry, what part of "I'm a crotchety old man who thinks their last album wasn't as good as the first four and they really peaked at 'Nu Thang' anyway and you kids better get offa my lawn"  Angry are you not understanding?   angel

Lawl.  Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »

Speaking of CCM, MercyMe's I Can Only Imagine is a great song. My favorite Christian song too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »

It's a good song. I can name some songs that I really like from some CCM bands and artists. Problem is when you listen to all of their albums, they just kind of mush together.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »

*Listens to nice tune at the beginning and then jumps back in terror.* laugh
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:40:11 PM by Stephanos Nikolaos » Logged

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »

Please tell me that you aren't talking about Whitecross. Please!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »

I also like terrible music. Though I don't like your terrible music. Still, it's not really things we miss, if we took them with us. Brb, going to go listen to Act of Depression...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »

The Supernatural album couldn't be awesome no matter what you do to it.

I dunno, I owned the album at one point, but the only song I liked on it was My Friend (So Long) *shrugs*

Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »

respect this... If I take anything with me... it will DEFINITELY be Zao.

jeez... havent listened to Extol in years. Still listen to Zao almost every day though. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 01:32:59 AM »

I think Toby Mac does a lot of producing stuff now.  He has recently helped and old friend of mine become the "next big thing" in Christian music.  Her name is Jamie Grace.  Number one hit on Christian radio right now.  We went to a small, private Christian school together.  She once made a video on her youtube (her channel also kinda helped spark her career) making fun of the music me and my buddy make.  This was mainly because we spent a lot of time making fun of her... guess shes getting the last laugh now...  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:33:30 AM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 04:47:47 AM »

jeez... havent listened to Extol in years. Still listen to Zao almost every day though. 

Interesting. They're from the city about 10 miles up the road from me, so you'd think they'd have some type of hometown edge and I'd like them... but nope, could never get into them. I did like the Lesser Lights of Heaven DVD though.

brandb

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 05:05:38 AM »

I think Toby Mac does a lot of producing stuff now.  He has recently helped and old friend of mine become the "next big thing" in Christian music.  Her name is Jamie Grace.  Number one hit on Christian radio right now.  We went to a small, private Christian school together.  She once made a video on her youtube (her channel also kinda helped spark her career) making fun of the music me and my buddy make.  This was mainly because we spent a lot of time making fun of her... guess shes getting the last laugh now...  Undecided

WUT. Shocked That's cool though. ... And now her song is stuck in my head.  Undecided
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:05 AM »

Ugh, Zao! Mr. Ismi loves 'em, but I swear, they give me a headache of the worst degree (they're not the only ones, though).

--
--
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »

WUT. Shocked That's cool though. ... And now her song is stuck in my head.  Undecided

Haha.  Its not quite my preferred style of music, but it is a very catchy little song! Glad things are going well for her. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »

Most non-underground Christian artists have become sellouts, much like any popular artist. I heard Plumb's latest song and I am tres disappointed. It's so trite. She is much better than that.

Haven't listened to Rebecca St. James's new album, though, but I love her more out of nostalgia (she was my first favorite CCM artist -- Christian lyrics and techno-ish background music, loved the combination!).

I love how she published a book about men when she just got married. Don't get me started on that. I rolled my eyes when I heard about that. Sometimes people will do anything to make money. She should have sat on that project for a couple of years.

^THIS. I haven't listened to an RSJ album since Transform. I also loved how the men she interviewed were men she knew, all from the same demographic. Then she had the nerve to get up on TV and say what she said.T_T Lost a lot of respect for her for that...

But I digress. What was this thread about? Things you miss about Protestantism?
Alas, unfortunately I'm not (yet) Orthodox.
She said that, seriously? Wow.

I saw her on Hannity's show (my parents are big fans) and cringed the entire time. I almost shouted, "Hey, it's one of my favorite CCM singers!" but declined to do so once she wasn't really saying anything accurate about American politics. I don't know how she got in.

--
--
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »

Interesting. They're from the city about 10 miles up the road from me, so you'd think they'd have some type of hometown edge and I'd like them... but nope, could never get into them. I did like the Lesser Lights of Heaven DVD though.

Yea that DVD was great. They are one of the first metal bands i was in to.  I got my first zao record in 6th grade.

Ugh, Zao! Mr. Ismi loves 'em, but I swear, they give me a headache of the worst degree (they're not the only ones, though).

haha. my wife says the same thing....

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »

Most of it I can't stomach. I do like that song by Casting Crowns, "Does Anybody Hear Her" for personal reasons.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »

The only contemporary Christian music I can stand is made by occultists so maybe not really Christian. Here's Current 93's "The Bloodbells Chime."

Oh, and then there's Yabby You (are the 1970's contemporary enough?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:20:12 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

*Listens to nice tune at the beginning and then jumps back in terror.* laugh
LMAO, did the same thing.

I like Francesca Battistelli, in the folksy chick songwriter way. She has a nice voice. The lyrics are so blah, though. But I listen to a lot of songs with horrible lyrics, so I'll stop here.

--
--
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

The only contemporary Christian music I can stand is made by occultists so maybe not really Christian. Here's Current 93's "The Bloodbells Chime."

Oh, and then there's Yabby You (are the 1970's contemporary enough?)

Contemporary enough for "contemporary worship" services at your local nondenom!

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

Contemporary christian music - The bane of Christians, a big reason we're made fun of, and with a few exceptions, the worst music ever created.

Sadly, those knuckleheads DC talk formed here in Lynchburg at Liberty (most of em have houses here too) so you see their crap all over the place here.

Where's Bach when you need him?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »

Contemporary christian music - The bane of Christians, a big reason we're made fun of, and with a few exceptions, the worst music ever created.

Sadly, those knuckleheads DC talk formed here in Lynchburg at Liberty (most of em have houses here too) so you see their crap all over the place here.

PP

Dont act like Jesus Freak isnt your jam!!!!

Kevin Max has one of the most impressive voices ever.  Although, lately he seems hes gotten a little weird.... Kinda gone off the deep end.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
brandb

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 03:08:35 AM »

PP

Kevin Max has one of the most impressive voices ever.  Although, lately he seems hes gotten a little weird.... Kinda gone off the deep end.

Kmax has basically taken his absolute hatred of CCM to a very unnecessary level.  Undecided  
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:09:11 AM by brandb » Logged
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »

YES.

I loved Supernatural. Tongue And it would have to be the earlier rap albums because Jesus Freak and Supernatural have both (not in their entirety) been covered by other bands as part of a "tribute to DC Talk" album.
I loved Supernatural too!

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »

You can keep the lot of it. There's some thats not bad but its so rare I wont even entertain the idea of listening to something new as I dont want to waste the 20-30 mins of my life.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 01:22:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV3bLZLpqTQ
Phil Keaggy - Salvation Army Band

Mean guitar player.

--
--
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:09 PM »

PP

Kevin Max has one of the most impressive voices ever.  Although, lately he seems hes gotten a little weird.... Kinda gone off the deep end.

Kmax has basically taken his absolute hatred of CCM to a very unnecessary level.  Undecided  

Agreed.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
brandb

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »

I loved Supernatural too!

Cheesy
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »

Completely with you.  Pretty sure God thinks it's horrid as well.

You can keep the lot of it.
Still with you.

Quote from: primuspilus
There's some thats not bad but its so rare...

You lost me.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »

fantastic record. man, the thought of that record makes me feel old. and it was even one of their newer ones!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »

fantastic record. man, the thought of that record makes me feel old. and it was even one of their newer ones!
Wasn't it shortly before they broke up? Yeah, '98. I listened to that CD so many times when I got it. Saw them in person one of those years shortly before they did separate acts. Aren't all of their newer ones their separate acts, Tait, Toby Mac, and Kevin Max?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »

Wasn't it shortly before they broke up? Yeah, '98. I listened to that CD so many times when I got it. Saw them in person one of those years shortly before they did separate acts. Aren't all of their newer ones their separate acts, Tait, Toby Mac, and Kevin Max?

Yes, but I think Toby's is the only successful one.  Kevin was doing pretty well, as he deserves because is voice is so phenomenal, but as i mentioned earlier hes gotten really weird...  Not sure whats up.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: