OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocking! Steve Jobs has died  (Read 1265 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »

http://www.apple.com/

All the link has is his picture and his dob and dod.  No other news follows.  I knew he was ill, but I had no idea that his illness was this dire.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »

Just saw the news flash on ABC tv and there will be a Nightline segment tonight on his life and impact. 
(All that as I type this on my little white iBook G4, as it transmits to the Airport Extreme wireless.)  He had been battling pancreatic cancer for eight years, quite a long time for such a devastating form of cancer.  May God have mercy on his soul.       bob.c
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Memory eternal.  Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

May the Lord have mercy on his soul! Memory eternal!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

the great leveler of all social distinctions; if money could buy immortality, imagine then.
God forgive him.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »

Wow! 

Memory Eternal!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »

the great leveler of all social distinctions; if money could buy immortality, imagine then.
God forgive him.

This is one of many reasons to oppose transhumanism

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »

What? Sad

Memory eternal.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »

Lord, have mercy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »

Memory Eternal

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:53:01 AM »

Lord, have mercy.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 03:09:02 AM »

Memory eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:41 AM »

A few choice quotes from a great article:

Right now, I’m thinking about the revolving door of CEOs at HP, and the revolving door of “revolutionary, game-changing projects” at Google. How un-Steve can you get? On an evening when most geeks are thinking about Steve Jobs, it’s impossible to imagine the concept of a tech company headed by someone who’s just in the gig for a few years of kicks and then an eight-figure buyout before they move on to whatever the next vacant seat is. It’s impossible to imagine a CEO who doesn’t feel passionately, with utter commitment about the company he runs. It’s impossible to imagine a company introducing a product that has every necessary component of success except the full, enthusiastic faith — bordering on arrogance — of a CEO who believes that this product or service will change the world and if the world isn’t on board with that truth right away, then this CEO has to just stick to his guns until the world catches up.

That’s what I think of when I think of Steve.

The story of the engineer who was scared green at the prospect of pitching an idea to Steve himself. He had prepared for this meeting as though he were defending a doctoral thesis in front of a board of proctors who had already announced a desire to have him killed. It was a very technical concept he needed to put across, and he had planned 15 to 20 minutes just to explain the discrete theory behind it.

Steve cut him off just a few minutes in, with a wave and a half-smile. “Yup, good . . . I get it.” And then he correctly extrapolated every direction the engineer was about to go with this and summarized the whole project in less than three sentences, far better than the engineer could have.

I think I can also confidently explain the author’s reaction. It’s true that if Steve Jobs thought your book was the most fantastic thing ever written, this would bode well for your chances of being given a prestigious endcap marketing space in every Apple Store.

But this couldn’t have mattered less to the author. Steve’s reaction was like your Dad telling you how proud he was of you and the work you’ve done.
http://www.suntimes.com/8057908-417/rip-steve-jobs-a-man-who-truly-changed-the-world.html

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »

May the Lord have mercy on him.

Why is it shocking? The man was very sick and everyone who watches the news knew it.

Anyway, the real reason for my post is to talk about some of the tributes to him. The tone and choice of words make it sound like they are talking about Jesus Christ himself! The man who changed the world!

Yes, he was good at making products that were neat and had a good design. He didn't invent anything new. He copied, borrowed and repackaged, like Bill Gates, but with better style and taste! I particularly admire his desire to put user experience first.

So why do I feel dirty when read all these articles talking about him like was the Messiah? Are they just fanboys or is this something else? I'd love to hear other peoples comments.

I hope this does not offend anyone. I apologize in advance if so.

PS: For the purpose of full disclosure, I own an iphone 3G, 4, iPod and MacBook so I am NOT a Apple/Jobs hater.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:10 AM »

He was a great inventor and innovator who changed the way we live.  Its only natural that our society for which he did so much should honor him in such a mega tribute. If you look back at a man like Thomas Edison, he was treated by the press in the same messianic terms when he died.  Its only natural for great men to have a great send out from a greatful world.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »

He ...changed the way we live. 

He did?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print