OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 02:01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouija Board  (Read 3321 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

Reason is sometimes the enemy of faith and plain Christian common sense. Whether Ouija boards have actual demonic power or whether it's merely a psychological effect makes no difference. These things should be avoided like the plague by all Christians. But then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's probably just one of my raving fundamentalist views like my belief that abortion is murder.

Selam

Do you ever feel persecuted?  Do you ever feel passive, while also feeling something close to the opposite of that?  Do you ever feel like righteousness may describe self?

Do you ever feel like Dr. Sigmund Freud, or do you just do lots of cocaine?  Wink

Selam

Did you just accuse me of being a drug addict?

No, I was not calling you a drug addict. I was responding in jest, which I thought was clear by the "wink" emoticon. But perhaps my jesting was in poor taste, and I apologize if I offended you.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »

selam to you all

so when i think of these things that have the possibility wetting the spiritual appetite of the young and impressionable ones into the hidden 'occult' in the form of a game that requires their active participation of their will to look into the future through that Bord or cards , horoscopes etc, or in a passive form, gaining pleasure out of certain movies and books whose message is to constantly  and directly blaspheme against the Faith, the Church, the office of the Priesthood, the monastics etc.  I think of what the atheist philosopher  Friedrich Nietzsche have said ' when you stare into the abyss , the abyss stares back at you' lol nothing of the deceiver's is free, so when we take something whatever it may be from him, we will pay one way or another, when we tell ourselves that we are only 'studying' it , we must be aware that we are also being studied. and should the situation arise that information can be used against us. the lie/truth we are told today might be in preparation for the trap set 10 years from today but ultimately the deceiver is not interested in our pet games but in using whatever interests us petty or not to get to us. his diligence is legendary as we all know, and nothing  that borders his territory is 'just a game' to him. of course he might be welcoming like the spider to the fly' welcome to my abode said the spider to the fly Smiley'  I think ultimately its up to each one of us to discern these things, when it comes to ourselves and the young ones entrusted to us. it is my opinion that discerning the spirit of the time, is in keeping with the Lords command ' be wise like the serepent, and meek like the dove'.

selam hunu.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »

For what it's worth, I personally know some people who had a spiritual/demonic experience when playing with a ouija board.

I don't think the boards have any inherent power, but they are convenient channels for the devil to reach out to those who are open to evil.

But then, so are computers, televisions, and even our best friends at times.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:54:43 PM by bogdan » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 11:16:45 PM »

I think this is an ASK YOUR PRIEST question.

I know that my priest would not give his blessing for anyone to use Ouija boards, tarot cards, crystal balls, horoscopes, fortune tellers or palmistry.

We are to avoid these things. In fact, one of the Orthodox Priests in our area placed a person under penance for two years for visiting a fortune teller at a carnival.

Another Orthodox Priest said that although his own mother would read tea leaves in her cup and in those of others, he did not recommend that practice either.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:18:38 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »

selam to you all

so when i think of these things that have the possibility wetting the spiritual appetite of the young and impressionable ones into the hidden 'occult' in the form of a game that requires their active participation of their will to look into the future through that Bord or cards , horoscopes etc, or in a passive form, gaining pleasure out of certain movies and books whose message is to constantly  and directly blaspheme against the Faith, the Church, the office of the Priesthood, the monastics etc.  I think of what the atheist philosopher  Friedrich Nietzsche have said ' when you stare into the abyss , the abyss stares back at you' lol nothing of the deceiver's is free, so when we take something whatever it may be from him, we will pay one way or another, when we tell ourselves that we are only 'studying' it , we must be aware that we are also being studied. and should the situation arise that information can be used against us. the lie/truth we are told today might be in preparation for the trap set 10 years from today but ultimately the deceiver is not interested in our pet games but in using whatever interests us petty or not to get to us. his diligence is legendary as we all know, and nothing  that borders his territory is 'just a game' to him. of course he might be welcoming like the spider to the fly' welcome to my abode said the spider to the fly Smiley'  I think ultimately its up to each one of us to discern these things, when it comes to ourselves and the young ones entrusted to us. it is my opinion that discerning the spirit of the time, is in keeping with the Lords command ' be wise like the serepent, and meek like the dove'.

selam hunu.

Excellent insights as usual Hiwot.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »

Here is my take YOUVE all been waiting for.

If using a ouija board is how you get your kicks during in any age group, you need rethink the definition of enjoyment.

Swirling around your alphabet soup and seeing if any words appear or looking for patterns in clouds is about as dangerous.

So if I get messages in my Alphabet Soup telling me Elvis is alive and is the the Archbishop of North America's secret identity, maybe I should  be worried??

Dude, Elvis? rly? livEs. Play Blue Hawaii backwards and you will get the answer to the second.

Sorry, man, but here you're wrong. Elvis is dead.

He died two years ago.

I don't think it's quite an "ask your priest" question, if one has any sort of critical thinking ability:

A) Ouija boards are just a bunch of kids playing around- and everything kids do is guaranteed to be wrong anyway. "Doctor", "House" (the game, not the TV show), Top 40 music, the Disney Channel, all are evil.

B) An adult using an ouija board is searching out advice from spirits, something forbidden in the Judeo Christian experience, whether it "works" or not. If the person is just fooling themselves (as Orthonorm thinks) or is interacting with demons (as some other posters think) is neither here nor there. We aren't told not to fool around with mediums and talking to spirits "Only if it's for really reals" we're just plain told not to do it. Don't do it.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »

I know that my priest would not give his blessing for anyone to use Ouija boards, tarot cards, crystal balls, horoscopes, fortune tellers or palmistry.

We are to avoid these things. In fact, one of the Orthodox Priests in our area placed a person under penance for two years for visiting a fortune teller at a carnival.

Another Orthodox Priest said that although his own mother would read tea leaves in her cup and in those of others, he did not recommend that practice either.

Regarding horoscopes, my priest says if someone asks for your sign, you should say "the sign of the Cross."

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »

Regarding horoscopes, my priest says if someone asks for your sign, you should say "the sign of the Cross."

I LOVE IT!!!  Smiley

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »

So if my priest says it's not a big deal and to have fun, and perhaps to go to a fortune teller when I get bored with the board... then that's the advice I should follow. Got ya. Thanks. It's good to know that priests always give the right advice. Smiley

EDIT--Oh wait, you didn't mean to follow my priest's advice, unless he disagreed with YOU, did ya? Nah, can't be...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:46:10 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »

So if my priest says it's not a big deal and to have fun, and perhaps to go to a fortune teller when I get bored with the board... then that's the advice I should follow. Got ya. Thanks. It's good to know that priests always give the right advice. Smiley

EDIT--Oh wait, you didn't mean to follow my priest's advice, unless he disagreed with YOU, did ya? Nah, can't be...

Oh, those Orthodox who pick and choose a confessor based on who will go along with his/her opinions are called CAFETERIA Orthodox.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:50:15 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:09 PM »

Oh, those Orthodox who pick and choose a confessor based on who will go along with his/her opinions are called CAFETERIA Orthodox.
What about those of us who choose based on proximity?  Huh

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »

Mine said the same thing.

In this sign, conquer.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »

Oh, those Orthodox who pick and choose a confessor based on who will go along with his/her opinions are called CAFETERIA Orthodox.

Mmmmm cafeteria

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »

...but we are told not to mess with it.

True, and really all we need to know.  Like others pointed out, it's not the game itself that's dangerous.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »

Do you really know such a priest who would tell you to enjoy your games and would allow you to go to a fortune teller?

I have not come across one yet.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »

Maria and Salpy that was beautiful what you said your priests said about signs. I will remember to use it and pass it on to others as well. Thank you Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »

And if they ask u what that means, you show them! Voila, evangelism.
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »

I tried doing the "pendulum answers". After experimenting a little bit, I realized it was myself who was causing everything. Not only I could clearly feel after a while that I was moving it myself, but I also tried messing around the questions.

The board itself is a piece of cardboard.  The purpose of using the board is to try to contact spirits, the same is true of seance, wicca, satanism, etc.  Do any of these rituals have power in themselves?  No.  It is the interior disposition of the user that can give the demonic spirits entrance to and power over a person.  For most these are silly games but still sinful in that they are superstitous.  For some they are an invitation to demonic obsession, oppression and  possession.
Yes! Exactly! Couldn't have put it in a better way. Also, my point is that we should discard those practices are superstitious and not literally as demonic magic; it makes us look stupid for no reason and we're attributing much power to the devil as well.

Haha, I remember reading this one in the forums years ago. I loved it. Bad thing I can't use this pun in Greek, so, when asked, I tell people to say that in English.
(I'm such a pozer.)

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »

Why are you messing around with a "piece of cardboard" as you describe the Ouija Board?

Let's say that a person is "strong enough in the faith" that the Ouija board poses no dangers, and the demons seem to have no claim over him/her. Nevertheless, the pride exhibited in thinking that one is invincible from demonic attack could lead to serious spiritual and physical dangers. We must remember that the devil "goes about like a lion seeking those whom he may devour."

Although the Ouija board might not appear to be an opening to demonic attack, it could lead to pride, ungodly curiosity, and further experimentation with things that should be left alone: tarot cards, crystal balls, palmistry, fortune telling, snake charming, horoscopes, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc.

I tried doing the "pendulum answers". After experimenting a little bit, I realized it was myself who was causing everything. Not only I could clearly feel after a while that I was moving it myself, but I also tried messing around the questions.

The board itself is a piece of cardboard.  The purpose of using the board is to try to contact spirits, the same is true of seance, wicca, satanism, etc.  Do any of these rituals have power in themselves?  No.  It is the interior disposition of the user that can give the demonic spirits entrance to and power over a person.  For most these are silly games but still sinful in that they are superstitous.  For some they are an invitation to demonic obsession, oppression and  possession.
Yes! Exactly! Couldn't have put it in a better way. Also, my point is that we should discard those practices are superstitious and not literally as demonic magic; it makes us look stupid for no reason and we're attributing much power to the devil as well.

Haha, I remember reading this one in the forums years ago. I loved it. Bad thing I can't use this pun in Greek, so, when asked, I tell people to say that in English.
(I'm such a pozer.)

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2011, 02:07:23 AM »

Do you really know such a priest who would tell you to enjoy your games and would allow you to go to a fortune teller?

I am surprised that no one else here has had their (Greek/Turkish) coffee grounds read at a Greek Orthodox Church festival.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:39 AM »

I am surprised that no one else here has had their (Greek/Turkish) coffee grounds read at a Greek Orthodox Church festival.
I hope you're joking.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

I hope you're joking.

When Opus jokes, you will not know it, but it is hilarious.

This is not a joke.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 07:07:38 AM »

I hope you're joking.

This is not a joke.
I never saw this at our local Greek Fest; the priest(s) I believe would not be happy

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
pasadi97
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »

How smart would be to invite lions to your house, lets say 2 or 3?  Well not so smart since they can kill you however the sick angels invited through board are more powerfull and can attack both the body and the soul.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

How smart would be to invite lions to your house, lets say 2 or 3?  Well not so smart since they can kill you however the sick angels invited through board are more powerfull and can attack both the body and the soul.

Very good point.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »

Very good point.

Selam

Indeed.  The board itself is just a board, but the process of using the board, even for play, explicitly refers to calling on spirits to guide the pointer.  Even if none "show up" and the users end up moving the pointer by themselves via suggestion or subconsciously, it's never a good idea to play with the spirit world. 

My wife has always wanted to get a coffee table with a ouija bord on it simply as an aesthetic piece of furniture.  I indulge most of rather odd tastes in art (she is an amateur taxidermist, after all!) but I am adamant about not having such a thing in my house on display.  I turn a blind eye to the set of tarot cards she has that she owns as it is understood that I am not to be in the house if she ever feels the need to pull them out (which she has not, to my knowledge*, in some time, at least not in our new home), but I just find ouija boards utterly creepy because I associate them with a certain group of people I knew in high school.  It's one of the strongest memories I have of that time and it's not a particular set I wish to recall.

* How do I know she hasn't pulled them out?  I know where they are, stored away in the long bench/trunk in the basement that always has quite a bit of other stuff on top of it.  I'm not even she knows where they are, but if she did, I would know if she went hunting for them because she would never put all that stuff back on top Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »

I had a priest from the 'Old Country' offer to teach me how.

This kind of behavior isn't just limited to Greeks and Arabs.  The Slavs have traditions of priests uttering 'Black Prayers,' or the occasional priest acting as a koldun.

Anyway, that's for another thread.

I hope you're joking.

This is not a joke.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »

(she is an amateur taxidermist, after all!)

*orthonorm furiously googles to make sure he ain't completely brain dead and forgot what a taxidermist is*
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:35:55 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »

To me the Ouija board is just as dangerous as calling Bloody Mary.

Using a Ouija board on one's coffee table is innocuous compared to say, sacrificing a pigeon in a pentagram on the floor.  Especially since you're not praying but asking for a physical manifestation of the supernatural, which I must believe is a rare occurrence...  Roll Eyes

One might speak of superstition but it is superstitious to believe the devil devours souls through a Hasbro game board.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:54:19 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »

*orthonorm furiously googles to make sure he ain't completely brain dead and forgot what a taxidermist is*

Boy, you done been in the city too long. Come back to the sticks, where your heart is.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »

Yes, you read it correctly.  I have stuffed mice, a bunch of animal skulls in an old lantern, a stuffed fox, a stuffed raccoon, and a jar full of my wife's dead grandparents dentures in my house among other things.

There is also a deer skull in the process of maceration in a bucket in my backyard and about ten duck carcasses in my deep freeze.

But that's another thread for another time...

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »

This is very irrelevant! By the way, better be safe than sorry.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »

I hope you're joking.

This is not a joke.

You are correct on this. In regard to the bad jobs thread, belly dancing is much more common and accepted, thankfully.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »

Very good point.

Selam

Indeed.  The board itself is just a board, but the process of using the board, even for play, explicitly refers to calling on spirits to guide the pointer.  Even if none "show up" and the users end up moving the pointer by themselves via suggestion or subconsciously, it's never a good idea to play with the spirit world. 

My wife has always wanted to get a coffee table with a ouija bord on it simply as an aesthetic piece of furniture.  I indulge most of rather odd tastes in art (she is an amateur taxidermist, after all!) but I am adamant about not having such a thing in my house on display.  I turn a blind eye to the set of tarot cards she has that she owns as it is understood that I am not to be in the house if she ever feels the need to pull them out (which she has not, to my knowledge*, in some time, at least not in our new home), but I just find ouija boards utterly creepy because I associate them with a certain group of people I knew in high school.  It's one of the strongest memories I have of that time and it's not a particular set I wish to recall.

* How do I know she hasn't pulled them out?  I know where they are, stored away in the long bench/trunk in the basement that always has quite a bit of other stuff on top of it.  I'm not even she knows where they are, but if she did, I would know if she went hunting for them because she would never put all that stuff back on top Smiley

Oh dear.

If she can read your post here, then the secret is out.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: ouija boards 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: