OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did God create male and female?  (Read 3650 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: December 22, 2002, 10:18:53 PM »

I have been pondering this question for a long time.  In the Bible, it talks about how in heaven there is neither male nor female...that we become like the angels (see Matthew 22:30).  Why we would God do something different here on Earth and something different in Heaven? Huh

Life is just one disappointment after another.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 12:24:18 AM »

Sinjin, you need to find a woman. j/k Smiley

I'm not sure if there is "the" answer, as I'm not aware of any dogma in this matter.  I have a few thoughts on the subject, however.  

Humanity was created to be both the body and the bride of Christ.  "God became man so that man might become God." (St. Irenaeous of Lyons)  It seems to me that the act of communion that takes place between man and wife is a prefigurement of Christ's eucharistia of the cross and the empty tomb.  I'm sure there are many other forthcoming explanations that will be more enlightening, but in the end I think the answer is both more complicated and more simple than what any of our insufficient words.  I pray that I may remain faithful to God and the He will continually forgive my many misgivings so that one day I might find out for myself.  I hope you find the answer you're looking for!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 03:42:41 AM »

I think what Paradosis quoted from St. John Chrysostom in the thread on Communion rules is pertinent:
Thou marriest a wife for chastity, and procreation of children [...] They come, about to be made one body. See again a mystery of love! If the two become not one, so long as they continue two, they make not many, but when they are come into oneness, they then make many. What do we learn from this? That great is the power of union. The wise counsel of God at the beginning divided the one into two; and being desirous of showing that even after division it remaineth still one, He suffered not that the one should be of itself enough for procreation. For he is not one who is not yet [united ] but the half of one; and it is evident from this, that he begetteth no offspring, as was the case also beforetime. Seest thou the mystery of marriage? He made of one, one ; and again, having made these two, one, He so maketh one, so that now also man is produced of one. For man and wife are not two men, but one Man. And this may be confirmed from many sources; for instance, from James, from Mary the Mother of Christ, from the words, "He made them male and female." (Gen. i. 27.) If he be the head, and she the body, how are they two? Therefore the one holdeth the rank of a disciple, the other of a teacher, the one of a ruler, the other of a subject. Moreover, from the very fashioning of her body, one may see that they are one, for she was made from his side, and they are, as it were, two halves. [...] And how become they one flesh? As if thou shouldest take away the purest part of gold, and mingle it with other gold; so in truth here also the woman as it were receiving the richest part fused by pleasure, nourisheth it and cherisheth it, and withal contributing her own share, restoreth it back a Man. And the child is a sort of bridge, so that the three become one flesh, the child connecting, on either side, each to other. For like as two cities, which a river divides throughout, become one, if a bridge connect them on both sides, so is it in this case; and yet more, when the very bridge in this case is formed of the substance of each. As the body and the head are one body; for they are divided by the neck; but not divided more than connected, for it, lying between them brings together each with the other. And it is the same as if a chorus that had been severed should, by taking one part of itself from this quarter, and the other again from the right, make one; or as these when come into close rank, and extending hands, become one; for the hands extended admit not of their being two. Therefore to wit He said with accuracy of expression, not "they shall be one flesh" but joined together "into one flesh" (Gen. ii. 2, Sept.), namely, that of the child. - John Chrysostom, Homily 12 on Colossians
« Last Edit: December 23, 2002, 03:43:35 AM by prodromos » Logged
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 03:35:39 PM »

Sinjin, you need to find a woman. j/k  

I know, I know.

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 03:42:33 PM »

No one has any opinions on this?  How frustrating!!! :-";"xx

dimitris

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 06:45:05 AM »

Hello my friends. If we didn't make the propatoric sin, God wouldn't have to create man and woman . The physical state
of human beings, as angels , is to be totally pure-virgin. But Gog knew
that we would make the sin, so in order to keep man-woman alive God created man and woman and when they fell out from paradise God blissed their physical union .
Of course there are some other reasons but this is enough.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 11:30:06 PM »

Sinjin,

I'm not certain, but I do not believe your question occurs in Orthodox dogma.  If that is the case, you will find a variety of good answers but perhaps not "the" answer.  The answer given by Dimitris seems like a very good one IMHO.  Hope you find the answer you're looking for!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
mousethief

Would you buy a used guitar from this man?

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 11:04:52 PM »

Because He wanted us to develop a sense of humour like unto His own.

Reader Alexis
http://www.theoniondome.com

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 01:11:49 AM »

Because He wanted us to develop a sense of humour like unto His own.

Reader Alexis
http://www.theoniondome.com

Alexis, my brain is not functioning today so I fail to understand what you mean.

Sapiens

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2003, 03:04:40 AM »

I'm not well-versed in Orthodox doctrine, as I'm just beginning conversion (and I do mean just beginning).

I think there's a pretty common sense answer, though.  It's just better for a species to reproduce sexually.  Asexual reproduction is slower and isn't as adaptable, and mitosis would seriously inconvenience a complex organism.  God made us male and female because its better for us this way.

In Heaven, we don't reproduce, so we would be neither male nor female.  We wouldn't have the urge to pass on our genetic material either, so we wouldn't feel terribly compelled to engage in sexual activity.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2003, 08:04:19 AM »

But Gog knew
that we would make the sin, so in order to keep man-woman alive God created man and woman and when they fell out from paradise God blissed their physical union .

What an unfortunate typo, says the master of typos. Gog* bad, God good! Cheesy

* For those not understanding my comment, Gog of Magog gets the Apocolypse ball rolling in the Book of Revelation
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 09:04:28 AM by Nicholas » Logged

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Daniel Sunuiprachu

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2003, 10:50:44 PM »

There are several problems with the Unfulfilled Plan of Totally Pure-Virgin Man.
1.  The text which most nearly concerns the issue--Genesis--says nothing about it.  One can talk about the Unfulfilled Plan of Totally Pure-Virgin Man at very great length only because one argues ab silentio, but argumentum ab silentio is a dead-end.
2.  What the text does say about it is unambiguous.  Even St. Augustine, everyone's favorite (nearly?) ex-Manichee, supposed that procreation was a plan for the peopling of Paradise.  In order to support the Unfulfilled Plan of the Totally Pure-Virgin Man one must radically twist the texts one is purporting to explain--a habit not unknown to the Gnostics.
3.  The Unfulfilled Plan of Totally Pure-Virgin Man raises more questions than the common sense view that God intended man to multiply (intransitively and transitively).  Would the Totally Pure-Virgin Man also have needed a source of strength meet for him?  Would he have remained the only human creature in Paradise or would he have multiplied asexually?  (The view expressed elsewhere that procreation was necessary only to simply go through the numbers needed for the Messiah raises too many questions as well.)
4.  The value of the argumentum ab silentio is that even if it tells nothing about the issue at hand, it says plenty about one's assumptions.  The real value (to certain parties) of the Totally Pure-Virgin Man argument is that it succeeds in denigrating marriage by casting aspersions upon the sexual aspect without overtly saying that matter is evil.  So, one is able to say that sex is evil, marriage is provisionally good, and totally pure-virginity is better!  This account even gives something to marriage that no other sacrament has: an etiology explaining not the wounds healed but the medicine itself!  
5.  In general I think it would be very wise for us to remember that dualism in one shape or another has haunted the church from the age of the apostles to our own.  We are most certainly not immune to the Manichean temptation that has felled so many trees with deeper roots and healthier sap than ours!  When one keeps hearing rumblings about how evil marital sex is, or about how marriage, unlike monasticism (!), is contaminated by desire, etc., it is best to reread the anti-Gnostic fathers and scour Plato, Plotinus, the Nag Hammadi Corpus etc. in order to verify whose side one is on.
Cheers, Daniel
Tags: anthropology gender 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: