OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:26:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Survive on $9 An Hour?  (Read 6068 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »

I stopped at the "lets hope you dont get sick" crap.

Do you honestly think that anyone making that kind of income can afford any kind of health insurance?
When I got sick and made that kind of money, I went to the hospital, got seen, and set up a cheap payment plan until they got paid off. If the line was too long, I went to the free clinic, got seen, went home, and the pillars of the world did not collapse.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »

Do you honestly think that anyone making that kind of income can afford any kind of health insurance?
When I got sick and made that kind of money, I went to the hospital, got seen, and set up a cheap payment plan until they got paid off. If the line was too long, I went to the free clinic, got seen, went home, and the pillars of the world did not collapse.

PP

What kind of surgery did you get?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »

Here in NY we are fortunate enough to have a government sponsored low income medical insurance called Healthy NY.  I know many people who have taken advantage of it. this was available before OC.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »

PP

I blew out my left elbow in the ring. I also never head any doctor say, "Well champ, you got cancer...but with no insurance all I can say is that my uncle is a mortician, heres his card...."
PP
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:38:15 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

Perhaps the moral of the story (and I don't see much point in this game, since it's my life) is that most of us can get by on a little less and save a little more. There are many tips and tricks and strategies that can help us. Thank God I didn't have to learn these hard lessons as an adult, but benefited from the counsel and example of those Queens of Thrift, my two great-grandmothers, my grandmother and mother. Those women were amazing!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »

PP

I blew out my left elbow in the ring. Anymore snarky questions?

PP

No surgery? Lucky you.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

PP

I blew out my left elbow in the ring. Anymore snarky questions?

PP

No surgery? Lucky you.
Only half lucky. I left my victim coat at the dry cleaners.

PP

Gregory the Great
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'm spartan about spending, I could beat all of y'all, even the good Father Peter at this game, however, I live in Los Angeles, and the only way you can actually live on a sole income of $9/hour is to

(a) work 75 hours a week (and I've both done it and know folks who do it everyday of their lives)

(b) supplement your income with the purchase of an unregistered firearm and a rag to cover your face, pulling licks bare-faced doesn't have a long term projection for success Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »

Icon, sorry for sounding like a jerk. Im in a really bad mood. Nothing personal mate.

PP

Gregory the Great
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »

$213 at the end. I like how there were things like birthday parties you had to go to, but nothing where you received the gifts/cash. Also, there was no option for a family loan.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »

You might be able to squeak by if you can a) live with family who charge you little or nothing, b) work at least 40 hours per week, no exceptions c) and can find a discount food place. Otherwise, you're in big trouble. With the cost of rent in the U.S. averaging $700-1000+ per month per person, in many places, it's either pay up or... else. People don't pay an arm and a leg for basic living costs because they think it's tons of fun. They do it because that's what landlords are charging.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »

You can actually make money at the end of the month if you lose all your morals.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »

You might be able to squeak by if you can a) live with family who charge you little or nothing, b) work at least 40 hours per week, no exceptions c) and can find a discount food place. Otherwise, you're in big trouble. With the cost of rent in the U.S. averaging $700-1000+ per month per person, in many places, it's either pay up or... else. People don't pay an arm and a leg for basic living costs because they think it's tons of fun. They do it because that's what landlords are charging.

This sounds about right.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »

No, a Big Mac is closer to $5 I think (I don't eat at McDonalds much). I do recall that when my husband and I were first married a Big mac was closer to $2 I think.

About $6 here for just the sandwich.

Had to drop by a McDs in the hood today. $3.39 for the sandwich. I knew there was no way they were going for $6.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »

It's all about the Royale with cheese.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »

No, a Big Mac is closer to $5 I think (I don't eat at McDonalds much). I do recall that when my husband and I were first married a Big mac was closer to $2 I think.

About $6 here for just the sandwich.

Had to drop by a McDs in the hood today. $3.39 for the sandwich. I knew there was no way they were going for $6.
Spicy chicken sandwich, $1.08. Get a cup of water or two to go.

I made it through the month with $188.

This game was the first time I had medical insurance in 3 and a half years. Long live the part-time, minimum wage job outside of the field my BS is in.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:46:29 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »

Who gets their food from McDonald's when you're on a tight budget?  Huh

You might be able to squeak by if you can a) live with family who charge you little or nothing,
Or live with roommates.

b) work at least 40 hours per week, no exceptions
Sorry I thought this was assumed...

c) and can find a discount food place.
Or shop smart.  

Otherwise, you're in big trouble. With the cost of rent in the U.S. averaging $700-1000+ per month per person, in many places,
In the city it is more expensive, true.  You might want to check the rent in the "hood" Orthonorm loves referencing, rent is about half there.  Hell you could buy a house for 1000 in East Cleveland.

It is perfectly feasible to walk out of the grocer with $30 for a week's worth of nutritious meals.  It helps to ask kindly for any "discounted food," you know, bad meat and stale bread.  If you work in the hospitality or restaurant biz I'd eat whatever your boss would turn a blind eye to.  Say a customer had a tomato on her big mac, and she didn't want to just take the tomato off but wanted a whole new sandwich.  You're supposed to throw it away, but the manager has better things to do than tail you to the storage room while you scarf it down.  Maybe a chef will have you meet him around back by the dumpsters with freezerburned ice cream or the stumps of broccoli.

The real question is, can spoiled Europeans and North Americans live even close to something like how the rest of the world lives?

*EDIT*- I'm starting to play the game now.  Working in the Warehouse seems great, you'd have good hours to work a second shift at another job in the morning, maybe like the prep crew at macdonalds.  Your kid can latchkey themselves well enough while you're gone before/after school.

I'm surprised those jobs only pay 9$ an hour though.  Many temp and warehouse jobs were going for 11-14 this summer in Cleveland, not exactly a high cost-of-living city.

*EDIT2*- lol $600+ dollars a month for rent living out in the boonies?  Get real...  And just because you're closer to the city doesn't mean you're living in a nice townhouse ($800?).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:01:30 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »

You can't buy rice as a poor person?  Sounds like this game is playing with a stacked deck... >.>

Only 3 cans of beans too.  LOL.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:11:42 PM by FantaLimon » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »

FantaLimon, let's think about demographics, here.  A cruddy, one room studio in NYC for $1,200 is a steal. Of course it changes with the part you are talking about, but $800 in my city (a very small city in the SE US) will get you a two bedroom apartment. That's considered a steal here.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »

Or you can extreme coupon.

But srsly you can keep the freezerburned brocolli and ice cream to yourself, id rather spend the few extra bucks to get it fresh.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FantaLimon

Inquirer

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »

Where's the family, where's the spouse, why did this person go to college after having a child without being able to finance it nor being able to capitalize on their investment (network or do something with those 4 years)?  Why does this person only work one job, why does this person insist on owning a smartphone, why do they refuse to buy rice, why do they have a lease on a car, why does their mother only show up to ask for money for "medicine"?

But srsly you can keep the freezerburned brocolli and ice cream to yourself, id rather spend the few extra bucks to get it fresh.
Freezerburned ice cream and stumps of (fresh) broccoli for free is a good deal.  Sad to hear you're above that, you could have saved a few bucks here and there.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:29 PM »

It's how I was raised. You get used to having 3 hot fresh meals a day, it's almost impossible to lower your standards.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »

It's how I was raised. You get used to having 3 hot fresh meals a day, it's almost impossible to lower your standards.
Well, if you're poor, then you'd have to skimp in some way!

I had three hot meals a day, too. It was a package of spam, canned corn, and some rice that I had to make last several days. Hot? Yes. Fresh? Nol But you've got to do what you've got to do when the money is low...

I think it is much easier to do it single. I am having a heart attack imagining a child in the picture of our current financial situation. It's do-able but more cuts are needed.

And I shouldn't even be talking. I could at least afford a few small, cheap treats here and there. Others don't have that luxury.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:55:40 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2011, 11:59:05 PM »

Well, if you're poor, then you'd have to skimp in some way!

I had three hot meals a day, too. It was a package of spam, canned corn, and some rice that I had to make last several days. Hot? Yes. Fresh? Nol But you've got to do what you've got to do when the money is low...

I think it is much easier to do it single. I am having a heart attack imagining a child in the picture of our current financial situation. It's do-able but more cuts are needed.

And I shouldn't even be talking. I could at least afford a few small, cheap treats here and there. Others don't have that luxury.
Packaged spam was an absolute no in my household, in fact I never got to try spam until I was 21 were it was commonplace at a house I was living in. I actually liked it alot with the rice too.

But seriously I'm talking about full course meals that actually aren't made from a box. Beyond spoiled.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »

I swear that potted meats were a luxury in our house. Spam being the most common and Devil's Food meats being the indulgence.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »

I swear that potted meats were a luxury in our house. Spam being the most common and Devil's Food meats being the indulgence.

It's depending on how many you're feeding, obviously. Spam for 8 people would run about $14.

The addendum to my story is that I didn't have a working fridge at the time (got sick several times, actually), so buying bulk chicken or whatever and freezing it was out of the question. The menu was more restricted than normal.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »

That reminds me of deviled ham was it that you make sandwiches out of?

Took awhile to get used to that taste.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Underwood_Company

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

It's depending on how many you're feeding, obviously. Spam for 8 people would run about $14.

The addendum to my story is that I didn't have a working fridge at the time (got sick several times, actually), so buying bulk chicken or whatever and freezing it was out of the question. The menu was more restricted than normal.

Vienna sausages were also the height of culinary achievement as times as a kid. I would eat them right out of the can with the gelatinous fat.

All of the above were purchased "scratch and dent", if and when we went to the grocery store.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:56 AM »

Vienna sausages were also the height of culinary achievement as times as a kid. I would eat them right out of the can with the gelatinous fat.

All of the above were purchased "scratch and dent", if and when we went to the grocery store.
Vienna Sausages are A-MAZING.

Especially with Spagettios.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »

Ugh, vienna sausages! Did not like those when I was a child and I used to eat them off of my grandfather's plate (our culture has a weird taste for canned meat, fried eggs, and rice, even though my relatives are financially comfortable).

I CANNOT eat the Spam unless it's fried. Mr. Ismi called me a diva.

Maybe I should fry the sausages.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »

Ugh, vienna sausages! Did not like those when I was a child and I used to eat them off of my grandfather's plate (our culture has a weird taste for canned meat, fried eggs, and rice, even though my relatives are financially comfortable).

I CANNOT eat the Spam unless it's fried. Mr. Ismi called me a diva.

Maybe I should fry the sausages.
No Spam on a pan? Come on...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »

Vienna Sausages are A-MAZING.

Especially with Spagettios.

Dude, there is a sever year old me making dinner for my brother, who loves you for that.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »

So Ismi,

Any recommendations for a Rice Cooker?

I want one.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »

We usually get ours from the Chinese markets, so...I have absolutely no idea as to those that my family use in the house.

A tip, though. We purchased a small Black and Decker, more from what we could get at the moment than anything else.  It has a glass lid that you just set on top of it. Do NOT get that one, because if you're putting the proper amount of water in (3 cups of rice, slightly past the 3 line in the cooker, a little mushy but still good, my preferred rice), it will shoot out the water absolutely everywhere.  I need to cover everything within a foot away from the rice cooker, because the rice water covers EVERYTHING.

Get one with a good shut lid. And I've used several cookers during college, and if you know what you're doing, the make doesn't matter too much, IMO. Something like this (Aroma - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HKFE8G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001KBY9M8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BJARAR5J5RYSGDG75YM) with a lid that snaps shut, is perfect.

--
--
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »

So Ismi,

Any recommendations for a Rice Cooker?

I want one.

Pots work well. But if you want the real thing in terms of gadgets, one word:

Zojirushi

A hundred or so models?

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:36:54 AM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »

Cooking it in pots is an art, IMO. Either I'm a really awful cook or what, because to get rice at my perfectly-mushy state, it took me several months to perfect that technique. It involves a lot of stand over the stove, stirring, covering, uncovering, moving, etc.

But I'd rather do that than minute rice.

And your name is not Ismi, last time I checked.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:40:06 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 12:48:01 AM »

Cooking it in pots is an art, IMO. Either I'm a really awful cook or what, because to get rice at my perfectly-mushy state, it took me several months to perfect that technique. It involves a lot of stand over the stove, stirring, covering, uncovering, moving, etc.

But I'd rather do that than minute rice.

And your name is not Ismi, last time I checked.  Tongue

But I cookeded better.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »

Listen, I can pour water and rice into a pot, press a button, and walk away like a boss. Let me bask in my expertise of non-existent cooking skills.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »

Gotta love Rice a Roni in a pot.

But seriously I've been craving white rice forever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:32 AM »

Rice a Roni can be awesome, but I had to quit the stuff when I saw that it had almost my entire daily sodium requirement in one box. And really, I finished a box across three meals in a day. Haven't had one in years but I crave it occasionally.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:07 AM »

Well that's the thing too, especially with TV Dinners is the sodium count. One of my favorite lazy dishes is getting a bag of Bertolli's but the sodium is like 52% of the daily value or something crazy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »

Man.. counting calories is hard enough

Who cares about sodium?  First they don't want you eating junk food, but then the TV dinners are perfectly portion sized.  Then somehow they have too much sodium, therefore that's bad for you -- generally everything that's easy and convenient to make is bad!! How frustrating..  Cry

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »

Man.. counting calories is hard enough

Who cares about sodium?  First they don't want you eating junk food, but then the TV dinners are perfectly portion sized.  Then somehow they have too much sodium, therefore that's bad for you -- generally everything that's easy and convenient to make is bad!! How frustrating..  Cry
The problem with me is I live in a climate that is so dry and a past medication has caused me to be severly hydrated, so I gotta lower the sodium intake and get more water in my body.

Yet I doubt I ever will, salt is too great to lose.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »

I have that rice cooker Ismi! I really like it.

Although you can stand over a stove to cook rice, I don't do that. My rice cooker also steams veggies too, which is the best way to make your baby food. When I am making rice I typically have 2 or more other components involved in the meal as well. I currently have ONE working stove element, so the rice cooker is essential.

I must say that everyone should really make their own teriyaki sauce though-MMMMMMM
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: