OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:14:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Survive on $9 An Hour?  (Read 6543 times) Average Rating: 0
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

I wound up with close to $1000 left over, but I am frugal.
So do you also have all of the billing companies chasing you, have 1 can of beans left for the entire month, have a kid that's crying because you never go to his/her school plays....

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

Yes absolutely.   I could live on $9 an hour in real life. 

Word of advice, cheapen your bills and stay out of debt at all costs.  Even if it means living substandard for a while.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 10:12:36 PM »

I've lived on $6 an hour and supported 3 children.  Lessons?  It's easier to lose what you really don't need in life and slowly build back than it is to try to hold on to those things that really don't matter.  My car was re-possessed, I took the bus and met some really wonderful humble people.  We very carefully ate on $25 a month - and had absolutely no frills.  I agree with sainthieu - it was absolutely hands down the best experience I've ever been through.  I recently told a friend of mine who is struggling that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Hands down.  It was hard and emotionally painful and draining - but I learned to thrive relying on Him.  It's amazing the provision that comes when you trust.

I agree with this completely.  We were in a desperate situation when my wife and I first got married.  Very very poor.  We learned how to save money in incredible ways.   Today since we still applied these frugal practices and with God's blessing, we are 100% out of debt on EVERYTHING.   That $9 an hour game was sort of weird because I was like "okay...." we could easily live on that today.   Best experience of my life (and one of the hardest) is being poor.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »

The biggest key to living frugally is to be debt free. It is also less expensive (for the most part) to make things yourself. I can make all the bread we eat in a week for all 6 of us at a cost of about fifty cents. Flour, water, salt and yeast are very inexpensive compared to bread at the bread outlet at $2 a loaf. If I shopped there for bread we would be spending closer to $10 a week on bread.

If we were on food stamps we would be given three times the amount of money we currently spend on food.

READ THIS POST anybody struggling to make ends meet.  Once you make your own bread, you will have a lifetime of savings.   We did this when we were very poor and today we make EVERYTHING that involves baking.  Bread, buns, donuts, cookies, cake, muffins, rolls, pies etc.   You can eat MEGA CHEAP if you simply just learn too cook.   Buy any meats that are on sale (near sell date) and freeze them if you don't need them.  Learn to save money on electricity, learn to save money on gas by hypermiling. 

Also if you have an ALDI near your home, you are blessed because that store is VERY cheap. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 10:42:57 PM »

Make bread?

Recipe plz.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

Guess who said this:
"By reducing the worker’s need to the barest and most miserable level of physical subsistence, and by reducing his activity to the most abstract mechanical movement; thus he says: Man has no other need either of activity or of enjoyment. For he declares that this life, too, is human life and existence.

By counting the most meagre form of life (existence) as the standard, indeed, as the general standard – general because it is applicable to the mass of men. He turns the worker into an insensible being lacking all needs, just as he changes his activity into a pure abstraction from all activity. To him, therefore, every luxury of the worker seems to be reprehensible, and everything that goes beyond the most abstract need – be it in the realm of passive enjoyment, or a manifestation of activity – seems to him a luxury..."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »

Make bread?

Recipe plz.

This is the recipe for no knead bread:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

This evening my husband made rolls out of this recipe by adding some paprika, onion, italian seasoning and baking them on a pizza stone.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »

Living on 6 dollars an hour raising 3 kids? I'm calling BS. Where on earth do you have such a cost of living to afford that?

I live in primetime surburbia where you can't even manage anything less than 60k a year. That's single BTW.

Sorry but peanut butter, ramen noodles, hot dogs, and rice isn't considered living.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »

Was able to play this game just now, wasn't able to earlier, wouldnt let me. I choose the ware house job.  I had $283 left over for the month. The choices on the game were nowhere near my reality. I had 283 left over for the month. My actual rent is 250 a month, utilities around 40 (average over 12 months,my part, just recently moved in with my nephew, he has a house, and likes to have roomies, but all they wanted to do was party-he got tired of that), my actual cell bill is 50.21 every month for unlimited talk and text-I use cricket. My car insurance 2 months ago averaged 27.25 for 12 months (paid for  the next year 9/2012 ,makes it so much cheaper for me, I hold that amount out every check I get).  I get a gallon of milk at Aldi in Overland Park, it's 1.99 a gallon - cereal for $4?  . Um, my oatmeal is way cheaper that that.-  100 percent whole wheat bread 99 cents, and no name brands-always have shopped that way. A little over half way through the game, I started choosing not to do stuff cause it didn't apply to my own experience or actual costs for me.  Between my grandmother telling me to only live off half of what I bring home, my Dad saying always put a car payment into a savings bank on the other side of town so it's hard to get it  for stupid stuff, then when you really need a car,. won't have to make payments with interest, Shopping aldi, then other stores, thrift stores, or clearance sales (kohl's love their clearance stuff) It really isn't that hard for me. After my divorce, yes, I had to work up to 3 jobs for a while, and I still work 2 jobs quite a bit, but such is life. (Now if quiting smoking were so easy!  LOL  Arrgghh!)
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »

mere subsistence should not be dignified with the name of living
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »

The point of the game is actually simulating what it is from someone who went from a good job to one that doesn't pay like it did.

So you are saying existence isn't justified by means of living?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »

You mean man does not live by bread alone?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
mersch

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »

Make bread?

Recipe plz.

I got this from a friend of mine, love the online magizine now. Mother Earth publish this a while ago. They state for approx 50 cents a day, and only takes 5 minutes to prep.  For me it averages maybe 62 cents per loaf when I make it, and I love it.

www.MotherEarthnews.com/Real-food/Atisanbread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

The point of the game is actually simulating what it is from someone who went from a good job to one that doesn't pay like it did.

You need to change your avatar because now I'm confused about who is posting. Thanks.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

You need to change your avatar because now I'm confused about who is posting. Thanks.

As you wish madame.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:35:39 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mersch

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »

Yes absolutely.   I could live on $9 an hour in real life. 

Word of advice, cheapen your bills and stay out of debt at all costs.  Even if it means living substandard for a while.

Sorry but peanut butter, ramen noodles, hot dogs, and rice isn't considered living.
I LOVE peanut butter, for breakfast, on a slice of heavy crusty toasted bread with tad of honey and a sprinkle of cinamen, one of my breakfast staples about half of the time, (or late night snacks), oatmeal for breakfast ,about the other half, with  brown sugar, and quite heavy on the cinamon, no milk, cream or butter-I know I'm werid, but love it! And I love rice, left over the next morning with cinomen, sugar and milk- or a late night snacke after working and getting home at 2 am!  But I agree with the Ramen noodles, yuck! Also my grandson and I love peanut butter on graham crackers as a snack with milk while talking about our day, or week, or what ever. I hope he never grows out of that!

Also if you have an ALDI near your home, you are blessed because that store is VERY cheap.  

Yes!  For staples and dairy,  bag of tatoes, onions, basic wheat bread,cant beat it, and their fresh ground sirlion is 2.99lb at mine (90/10), milk, (per gallon, skin, 2 percent, or whole,) is only a 1.99 a gallon  
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »

Just to be clear- even though the quote tag above says I said something about ALDI, I have no clue what ALDI is. The quote is messed up.
mersch

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »

@ Quinault, you're right!   Don't know what happend!  The part that is attributed to you, is My response,  also spell check didn't take on it either.  Werid.  Twilight Zone time!  LOL
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:52:12 PM by mersch » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

Aldi is the new walmart. I heard some elderly people on the bus say so. And if there's anyone who knows about penny pinching, it's elderly people.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »

Replace peanut butter with Bowl O Noodles, and rice with diet soda, and keep ramen noodles and processed meat-like stuffs, and you pretty nailed my diet. Smiley

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »

Living on 6 dollars an hour raising 3 kids? I'm calling BS. Where on earth do you have such a cost of living to afford that?

I live in primetime surburbia where you can't even manage anything less than 60k a year. That's single BTW.

Umm, in Chandler, AZ, my mom raised myself and three sisters - with a dog - for about $37,000 a year (this being in the mid-late 2000's).  We always had a bit more than enough, and (for the most part) lived in a house.  You happen to live in a very expensive place.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 01:58:55 AM »

Like many people in this thread, I've lived relatively comfortably on $9 an hour.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »

Umm, in Chandler, AZ, my mom raised myself and three sisters - with a dog - for about $37,000 a year (this being in the mid-late 2000's).  We always had a bit more than enough, and (for the most part) lived in a house.  You happen to live in a very expensive place.

AZ is super cheap though.

Yeah I live pretty expensively to match my lifestyle.

If you don't make $20 an hour, forget moving on your own, and 20 bucks is bare mininum I'll say

That's why I want to get out of this city and move to somewhere cheaper. Then I can live super cheaply in a nice house and just make ridiciulous payments on a Porsche.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:07:29 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »

I could probably live on $9 an hour if I didn't have those **** college loans to pay off.

For serious. I am so upset that I could basically be paying rent for an entire apartment. HATE IT. And while I'm making more than $9 an hour, almost 25% of my income is just for college loans. #$@#!

--
--
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »

If you don't make $20 an hour, forget moving on your own, and 20 bucks is bare mininum I'll say

That's why I want to get out of this city and move to somewhere cheaper. Then I can live super cheaply in a nice house and just make ridiciulous payments on a Porsche.

Then do it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
mersch

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »

Aldi is the new walmart. I heard some elderly people on the bus say so. And if there's anyone who knows about penny pinching, it's elderly people.

LOL, Aldi has been around longer that walmart, at least in my area. Now oldest will 32 in month, and I shopped aldi when he was a toddler, way before there was Walmart, or even heard of one.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »

You are a lawyer, so at least, comfortably middle class. Probably busy defending the interests of those with money. No go tell that to homeless and others that barely make enough to not die of starvation. Can you say the same inanity with a straight face ?
That's what makes me think that Christian spirituality is a sick cruel joke more often than not.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

Played it and when it got to the tooth thing, $400 root canal. Colleges that have a dentistry program do dental work for much less... Then it got to $30 to do laundry. If it costs that much to do laundry you simply have too many clothes. I think I would literally have to times the number of clothes I have by 20 to get anywhere near that.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »

Quote from: augustin717 on Yesterday at 10:55:34 PM
Mere subsistence should never be given the name of life, since that would further justify exploitation. It should be called something else, as to indict those living off others' misery.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

LOL, Aldi has been around longer that walmart, at least in my area. Now oldest will 32 in month, and I shopped aldi when he was a toddler, way before there was Walmart, or even heard of one.

Hey don't get on Americans for not knowing about Kraut-Mart! //:=)

I was surprised to see one pop up in Ohio. They are starting to thrive. Never been in one here.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »

In any case, this has truly been on of the more thought provoking threads on the OC.net.

Thanks again Quietmorning and Quinault.

Much of true substance to think about instead of typical blabbering I do.

Seriously.

*begin montage of life-change*

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »

I stopped at the "lets hope you dont get sick" crap. If I want lefty BS I'll turn on MSNBC.

I also chuckled as the average restaurant server made $8/hour. Work 1 weekend evening shift at Applebee's and then tell me that. I made mad cash.

PP
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:42:37 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »

I stopped at the "lets hope you dont get sick" crap. If I want lefty BS I'll turn on MSNBC.

I also chuckled as the average restaurant server made $8/hour. Work 1 weekend evening shift at Applebee's and then tell me that. I made mad cash.

PP
You probably suffer from the Stockholm syndrome. They can just never get enough abuse. You're on the right path, son. Some seasoned monk-a-be will further increase the amount of abuse in your life, taking it to new, hesychast levels.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »

Hey don't get on Americans for not knowing about Kraut-Mart! //:=)

I was surprised to see one pop up in Ohio. They are starting to thrive. Never been in one here.
Eh, Aldi's is just okay. The food is really cheap and not too much choice.

I could probably do better shopping in the aisles at the back of your grocery store, but they have some good items. In Jersey it is solely for the ghetto for some reason.

--
--
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »

I made it with $825 to spare, enough left over even for the "rent's due tomorrow".  Of course, that was only by mooching off friends, but luckily I'm good at math so I could help my kid.  Smiley

In real life, I make far less than $9 per hour, but I mooch off of family, and don't have a kid to worry about.

One thing I would definitely do differently is not try to hang on to a house I couldn't afford if I were unemployed.  I would put it on the market as soon as I lost my job, and if it's worth less than the mortgage I would try to talk the lender into a short sale.

I also wouldn't wait until my savings were gone to get the $9 per hour job.  Smiley

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »

You are a lawyer, so at least, comfortably middle class. Probably busy defending the interests of those with money. No go tell that to homeless and others that barely make enough to not die of starvation. Can you say the same inanity with a straight face ?
That's what makes me think that Christian spirituality is a sick cruel joke more often than not.

We've been through this before ... I am a member of the middle and intellectual classes now, but it has not always been so.

I know what it's like to have near nothing and also what it's like to have more than that. Obviously I do not want to return to where I've been, but I am just irked by this notion that I only have what I have because I've exploited the less-fortunate and that I'm only where I am because I was so fortunate to be born this way, evil privileged white heterosexual male that I am. Reality is less black and white than the rhetoric of class conflict suggests -- certainly in places like Australia where we have socialised medicine and incredibly generous social welfare.

Of course, it is not good enough for us haves to simply wave away the suffering of the have-nots with a glib "oh well, man doesn't live my bread alone", but I can honestly say that I am no more happy and fulfilled today than I was before I was comfortably middle class and defending the interests of those with money (actually, I am a public lawyer, so I neither make lots of money nor work for those with lots of money). I truly believe that material comfort is no remedy for human misery. It does help, though.

I just bought my family tickets to go on an overseas holiday at the end of the year. It will be the first time they have been out of Sydney since they arrived here on boats back in the fifties. I am certainly grateful to God that I am now in a position to do this. Truthfully, I would trade all my degrees and my bourgeois inner city lifestyle to undo the crippling heartache I have been suffering these last few years for reasons I sha'n't bore you with.

Man really doesn't live by bread alone, and I would be glad to say that to the face of someone on US$9.00/hour, I promise you, though perhaps not with the sense of snide derision you imagine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:16:18 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »

Sing it, Akimori! My parents came to the US in the 80s, my father uneducated and both of them dirt poor. They are now quite comfortable and my mother is very successful in her field.

My family was considered poor for the first few years of my life, before their careers took off. I refuse to think less of their achievements or their understanding of living in poverty (my mother much more so) because they were able to increase their wealth.

Sometimes I wonder if Augustin purposely turns down job promotions or offers, just so he can maintain his street cred and scorn the bourgeoisie from his small apartment.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:54:45 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »

Sing it, Akimori! My parents came to the US in the 80s, my father uneducated and both of them dirt poor. They are now quite comfortable and my mother is very successful in her field.

My family was considered poor for the first few years of my life, before their careers took off. I refuse to think less of their achievements or their understanding of living in poverty (my mother much more so) because they were able to increase their wealth.

Sometimes I wonder if Augustin purposely turns down job promotions or offers, just so he can maintain his street cred and scorn the bourgeoisie from his small apartment.

We Asians understand the value of hard work.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »

And others dont?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »

And others dont?

I was not being serious. I wouldn't have said anything if I thought my self-deprecation wasn't obvious -- apologies!

The sad part is, I am drinking bubble tea as I type this.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »

And others dont?

PS: I'm not actually Asian.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:15:45 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:02 AM »

LOL yeah I was wondering about that since I didn't think you were asian yourself.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »

In my world we had generic grocery stores with "food" in the title (Food Lion, Foodland, etc.), and Kmarts and GeeBees and Janesways and such. This sad state of affairs continued through the 80s and early 90s. Then Walmart came in the mid-90s and conquered all the others and provided a better option--the only option needed. This Aldi thing is a new thing for us, an unwanted foreigner who can barely speak our language, an illegal alien who should be happy that we don't beat them with their own shoes, and they are lucky to even be allowed land to sell their haphazardly acquired merchandise.

Or... um... well that's how I remember things and see them. Don't confuse me with the truth.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

I stopped at the "lets hope you dont get sick" crap.

Do you honestly think that anyone making that kind of income can afford any kind of health insurance?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »

And others dont?

I was not being serious. I wouldn't have said anything if I thought my self-deprecation wasn't obvious -- apologies!

The sad part is, I am drinking bubble tea as I type this.
LOL you Japanese wannabe. (I say that with love.)

For the record, my father was from Eastern Europe from one of the many families that suffered under Communism. And no, they weren't rich before. He is now one of those people who think everyone who supports a government program is a socialist. However, after hearing about his past, I can't blame him (although we argue about the issue all the time).  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:51:13 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: