OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Survive on $9 An Hour?  (Read 5801 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2011, 02:11:15 AM »

I must say that everyone should really make their own teriyaki sauce though-MMMMMMM

Reciple nao plz

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2011, 02:15:54 AM »

Yummy teriyaki sauce

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 habanero pepper, halved and seeded
4 cloves garlic, smashed
Directions

Combine soy sauce, grapefruit juice, hoisin sauce, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, habanero pepper, and garlic in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until thick, stirring occasionally. Strain sauce to remove pepper and garlic. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use.

Although I like to use half low sodium, half regular soy sauce and I add some fresh ginger and extra peppers. I marinate the meat in this mixture as long as possible. You have to make sure to get real grapefruit juice, not the grapefruit cocktails.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:19:24 AM by Quinault » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »

You had me sold at habanero.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »

I actually have some powdered habanero that came free with an order from "My Spice Sage." I use small amounts in chili and such. But the smoked salt they have? Ooooh, I think smoked salt on a slice of tomato, with a little mozzarella and a leaf of basil might be one of my favorite snacks.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:20 AM »

I actually have some powdered habanero that came free with an order from "My Spice Sage." I use small amounts in chili and such. But the smoked salt they have? Ooooh, I think smoked salt on a slice of tomato, with a little mozzarella and a leaf of basil might be one of my favorite snacks.
Slice of tomato, salt from a spice sage, mozzarella and a leaf of basil, as a snack?

You on $20 an hour?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:34:41 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »

Salt was free with an order of spices from a website. Spices in general cost more in the store by the jar than they do by weight online (even including shipping). You can find Basil and tomatoes extremely cheap in my area at Grocery Outlet.

Tomato- 25 cents,
Mozz (enough for a pizza) $3.00 so a slice is like 10 cents?
Basil- uber cheap to free in my area. Maybe another 10 cents? I use fresh basil when cooking. A package of basil is around $4, and covers multiple meals.
Salt-free

My seemingly "expensive" snack cost me about 35 cents. If I ate an entire tomato sliced up with mozz/basil/salt it would be $1.75

I believe the salt came free with some indian spices that I bought. The spices last for over a year and cost me 1/10th they would in the store when you price by volume/weight. You can grow your own fresh herbs really cheap. I can buy a living basil plant for $4 and it will last just about forever.

We make our pizza from scratch and cook it on a terra cotta garden dish. A whole pizza including toppings and everything to make the dough is about $5 at the max. But that is a really tricked out pizza with fresh tomatoes, cheese, olives, mushrooms, meat, seasoning etc. A cheap pizza we could make for like $2 or so. We are a family of 6, so these aren't the tiny frozen pizzas that you can pick up for $1.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:59:04 AM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »

A good example is sea salt actually. A shaker of sea salt in the store is normally at least $3-5. I can buy 10x more sea salt in bulk than I can in a shaker. So a shaker worth of salt costs me roughly 50 cents. The little things like spices really do add up in the budget. I would be paying $30-50 for all the shakers if I didn't buy in bulk.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:03:06 AM by Quinault » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »

Lol I was making fun of your snack which is a litle more on the gourmet side compared to a vienna sausage, it wasn't supposed to be taking literally.

Salt in bulk huh? That sounds like a good idea. Pizza from scratch is usually bomb.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:48 AM »

Spices in bulk in general are the bomb. They are fresher and the quality is much higher. Cinnamon and Cayenne are good examples of a spices that should only be bought in bulk. You pay more for a lower quality product by the bottle compared to bulk. In the case of cinnamon in particular you may not ever really be getting real cinnamon. I make my own garam masala too Smiley
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2011, 03:03:12 AM »

If you have left over rice in a pot, you can just add milk to slightly or a small bit over covering the rice, cook until a little milk has evaporated add (so it has a chance too to be absorbed by the rice), stirring occasionally, and add a bit of sugar and cinnamon to taste and you have rice pudding either for breakfast the next day or for dessert.

My local middle eastern market has better deals on herbs than grocery stores.

Lemon juice can sometimes season up a plain meal without adding salt or spices. I do this when eating fish with rice and veggies.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:05:01 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »

If you have left over rice in a pot, you can just add milk to slightly or a small bit over covering the rice, cook until a little milk has evaporated add (so it has a chance too to be absorbed by the rice), stirring occasionally, and add a bit of sugar and cinnamon to taste and you have rice pudding either for breakfast the next day or for dessert.

My local middle eastern market has better deals on herbs than grocery stores.

Lemon juice can sometimes season up a plain meal without adding salt or spices. I do this when eating fish with rice and veggies.
Lemon juice is my salad dressing with some black pepper. amazing.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »

Did it for many years.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2011, 09:55:59 PM »

I could survive off of $9/hour if I had to, I think.  I would have to walk away from my apartment though and get rid of a lot of services I have become accustomed to.  Honestly, I never really thought about it until now.  It would be very difficult for me.  :-/ 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: