OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Survive on $9 An Hour?  (Read 6322 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 05, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »

http://playspent.org/

Play the game.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »

I remember this!

Reminds me of living off of my first paychecks. :-/

I only got through it a few times, and just barely.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »

I didn't make $9 an hour until I first moved out, then got $10 an hour soon thereafter.  But I had less bills in those days.  Today, probably not.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

I ran out of money in 9 days.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »

$35 bucks left at the end.

Difficult due to lots of curveballs in a single month, plus no information for creating a budget. Taking a conservative route of 'worst case' situations, favoring reliability, and prioritizing family was the only way I made it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:10:25 AM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »

I made it through the month answering the questions the way I often have to in real life.

I had $300 left at the end of the month

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:32:26 AM »

What a bunch of nonsense. I made it through Day 21 before I just exited the questionnaire. After about Day 10, it starts hitting you with facebook ads.

It's also intellectually dishonest: it falsely offers only two choices on some questions, when--in fact--logical alternatives exist. For example: "You have a bill. What do you do? Pay it or Ignore it?" The correct answer is that you talk to the company you owe and work something out. They'll almost always let you pay over time. The worst thing you can do is ignore them.

This quiz is a set-up. The question is not 'can you live on $9 a month?'; the question is 'can you live on $9/ a month without some sense of entitlement or resentment'?

I've been poor---I mean poor like you can't eat for 4 days in a row poor. I mean poor like you have to borrow a dime to make bus fare so you can go to work in the morning poor. Everyone who's single ought to try it some time; it's good for the soul. It's like a near-death experience that makes you appreciate life.

You'd be surprised how self-sacrificing and creative you can be when you don't have the resources. I've known single people who lived well on $12,000 a year ($6/hr). (I'm not talking about those with families.) Here's an old artist's trick: you can live on a bag of potatoes a month.

If the financial analysts are correct, we'll all be getting experience in poverty over the next ten years. Start living simply now.

For fun, I wen back and finished and ended up with $258 left. In real life, I would have had more.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:02:37 AM by sainthieu » Logged
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »

For fun, I went back and finished and ended up with $258 left. In real life, I would have had more.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:04:43 AM by sainthieu » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »

I think I had $308 left. But I did not let my kid play football, and I doubt the food that I purchased would have lasted the month. But anyway...

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »

What a bunch of nonsense. I made it through Day 21 before I just exited the questionnaire. After about Day 10, it starts hitting you with facebook ads.

It's also intellectually dishonest: it falsely offers only two choices on some questions, when--in fact--logical alternatives exist. For example: "You have a bill. What do you do? Pay it or Ignore it?" The correct answer is that you talk to the company you owe and work something out. They'll almost always let you pay over time. The worst thing you can do is ignore them.

This quiz is a set-up. The question is not 'can you live on $9 a month?'; the question is 'can you live on $9/ a month without some sense of entitlement or resentment'?

I've been poor---I mean poor like you can't eat for 4 days in a row poor. I mean poor like you have to borrow a dime to make bus fare so you can go to work in the morning poor. Everyone who's single ought to try it some time; it's good for the soul. It's like a near-death experience that makes you appreciate life.

You'd be surprised how self-sacrificing and creative you can be when you don't have the resources. I've known single people who lived well on $12,000 a year ($6/hr). (I'm not talking about those with families.) Here's an old artist's trick: you can live on a bag of potatoes a month.

If the financial analysts are correct, we'll all be getting experience in poverty over the next ten years. Start living simply now.

For fun, I wen back and finished and ended up with $258 left. In real life, I would have had more.

Exactly. I haven't been that poor but I have lived on $9/hour since working for churches and non-profits, while it may be personally rewarding, is not very financially rewarding. My husband works with homeless veterans and doesn't make a whole lot more than that now.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. Photini

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

I've lived on $6 an hour and supported 3 children.  Lessons?  It's easier to lose what you really don't need in life and slowly build back than it is to try to hold on to those things that really don't matter.  My car was re-possessed, I took the bus and met some really wonderful humble people.  We very carefully ate on $25 a month - and had absolutely no frills.  I agree with sainthieu - it was absolutely hands down the best experience I've ever been through.  I recently told a friend of mine who is struggling that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Hands down.  It was hard and emotionally painful and draining - but I learned to thrive relying on Him.  It's amazing the provision that comes when you trust.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »

I've lived on $6 an hour and supported 3 children.  Lessons?  It's easier to lose what you really don't need in life and slowly build back than it is to try to hold on to those things that really don't matter.  My car was re-possessed, I took the bus and met some really wonderful humble people.  We very carefully ate on $25 a month - and had absolutely no frills.  I agree with sainthieu - it was absolutely hands down the best experience I've ever been through.  I recently told a friend of mine who is struggling that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Hands down.  It was hard and emotionally painful and draining - but I learned to thrive relying on Him.  It's amazing the provision that comes when you trust.

How with any nutrient quality? Unless you were seriously gardening as well . . .

I grew up almost cashless, but with government help and 3/4 acre "garden" and chickens, rabbits, etc. we ate very healthily.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »

$9 an hour? Try living on $3 an hour. Even with food stamps, rent, and utilities, that's a dirty S.O.B! Roll Eyes
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »

$9 an hour? Try living on $3 an hour. Even with food stamps, rent, and utilities, that's a dirty S.O.B! Roll Eyes

I don't understand? Is this sarcasm about something.

quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »

I've lived on $6 an hour and supported 3 children.  Lessons?  It's easier to lose what you really don't need in life and slowly build back than it is to try to hold on to those things that really don't matter.  My car was re-possessed, I took the bus and met some really wonderful humble people.  We very carefully ate on $25 a month - and had absolutely no frills.  I agree with sainthieu - it was absolutely hands down the best experience I've ever been through.  I recently told a friend of mine who is struggling that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Hands down.  It was hard and emotionally painful and draining - but I learned to thrive relying on Him.  It's amazing the provision that comes when you trust.

How with any nutrient quality? Unless you were seriously gardening as well . . .

I grew up almost cashless, but with government help and 3/4 acre "garden" and chickens, rabbits, etc. we ate very healthily.

We had a very specific diet - protein: eggs, peanut butter, rice and pinto beans and beef liver.  I'd buy canned vegies when they went on a 25 cent can sale and stock up - bread was from the thrift store, and Corn flakes and oatmeal were cheap cheap.  The things that were hard to come by was milk and fruit - both were always expensive - and rare.  We often went without those.  There was times when I didn't eat so that my children could eat, and then there were many many times when we were short and someone out of the blue knocked on the door with a meal or can goods.  I shopped the scratch and dent baskets often and got canned and boxed goods at very good prices.  It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:26:50 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

I've lived on $6 an hour and supported 3 children.  Lessons?  It's easier to lose what you really don't need in life and slowly build back than it is to try to hold on to those things that really don't matter.  My car was re-possessed, I took the bus and met some really wonderful humble people.  We very carefully ate on $25 a month - and had absolutely no frills.  I agree with sainthieu - it was absolutely hands down the best experience I've ever been through.  I recently told a friend of mine who is struggling that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Hands down.  It was hard and emotionally painful and draining - but I learned to thrive relying on Him.  It's amazing the provision that comes when you trust.

We had a very specific diet - protein: eggs, peanut butter, rice and pinto beans and beef liver.  I'd buy canned vegies when they went on a 25 cent can sale and stock up - bread was from the thrift store, and Corn flakes and oatmeal were cheap cheap.  The things that were hard to come by was milk and fruit - both were always expensive - and rare.  We often went without those.  There was times when I didn't eat so that my children could eat, and then there were many many times when we were short and someone out of the blue knocked on the door with a meal or can goods.  I shopped the scratch and dent baskets often and got canned and boxed goods at very good prices.  It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Along with the veggies and eggs we had we bought pretty only organ meat from the butcher. Not to beat an OC.net chat drum but brains, liver, stomach, intestine, etc. Everything was game, including what I shot.

Milk was a premium. I could eat all day long, so lard and tallow were common foods I ate.

Wow, Quiet. I need to really reflect more on this stuff. As I know I can get by on less. Not not without my CO2 tank.

Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:32:09 PM by orthonorm » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »

No. It's just me b****ing about my life on unemployment. I was supposed to start work on a new job today, until I got a call yesterday from the staffing agency that hired me for this job that their client put my start date on hold. Angry (Hence my reference to Lucy van Pelt, Charlie Brown, and the football on the Video of the Day thread)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:48:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »

No. It's just me b****ing about my life on unemployment. I was supposed to start work on a new job today, until I got a call yesterday from the staffing agency that hired me for this job that their client put my start date on hold. Angry (Hence my reference to Lucy van Pelt, Charlie Brown, and the football on the Video of the Day thread)

Sorry to hear that. It does seem this economy ain't really picking up. I hope you are able to hang in there. Seems to be getting rough for more and more on this board.

Lord have mercy!

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »

Quietmorning, thank you for your posts. It is definitely sobering yet amazing that you were able to raise your children and live frugally.

--
--
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »

I made it easily. Living on almost nothing is pretty much what I have done my entire life. Most of my time living "at home" with my parents we crashed on the floor at family/friends houses. I gave my parents 50% of my income once I started working part time at 14, then when dropped out of school at 15 I started working full time. (I earned my GED in my spare time). We would make a big pot of beans each week and pretty much eat it every night. Free school lunches helped A LOT since my parents didn't have to work out lunch for all of us most of the year. I have no ill will to my parents for requiring that we contribute. I started going door to door doing chores/yardwork starting at 8 to earn money to buy my own clothes. I know the value of what I have and will never forget it. Food is necessary, but that doesn't mean you get to eat things you like, or that you need any real variety. Clothing is great, but if you don't take care of it you won't have any. One pair of shoes is more than enough. A coat is great, but with layering you can do without. Our Christmas gifts consisted of "family" gifts like toasters, waffle irons and blow dryers. These were things that would make life easier and everyone would benefit from them. I will say that living in the NW I always liked the fact that we had a Christmas tree every year because trees are so abundant. I associate Christmas with Christmas trees more than I do with gifts.

Although I think quiet makes a great point- we do need to factor in when she was living on $25 a month for food and if she supplemented with food stamps or food banks. $25 a month now would not buy the same amount of food as it did in the 1980's. A basket of food in 1980 that cost $25 would cost $91 in 2010. That is still a great feat, but it does put things in perspective a bit. In the 90's my husband and I lived on about $1,000 a month (In Seattle, which isn't a cheap place to live) and had several hundred dollars left over each month.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:56:48 PM by Quinault » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »

The typical salary for the lowest paid jobs in Poland is $2.43 per hour.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »

You do realize a Big Mac costs like $20 here?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

What?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 04:02:03 PM »

The biggest key to living frugally is to be debt free. It is also less expensive (for the most part) to make things yourself. I can make all the bread we eat in a week for all 6 of us at a cost of about fifty cents. Flour, water, salt and yeast are very inexpensive compared to bread at the bread outlet at $2 a loaf. If I shopped there for bread we would be spending closer to $10 a week on bread.

If we were on food stamps we would be given three times the amount of money we currently spend on food.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »

What?

Just saying the cost of living can be a tad higher for the lowest paid workers in America than in Poland.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

Very good point, Quinault, about $25 now versus the '80s. I thought about that, and like you said, still found it impressive. Smiley

When Mr. Ismi and I had a pretty low budget, we were spending about that much every two weeks. I'm ashamed to see how much we spend now. We are trying to save money for some other things and our grocery bill is astronomical. He is thinking about buying a CSA share with some friends and oh, boy. That is not going to help our bill very much.

I have horrible spending habits and your stories are putting me to shame. Keep them coming. We do need to learn how to live a bit more simply and at the very least, within our means.

--
--
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »

And just a note; the federal minimum wage in 1985 was $3.35 an hour. Most states actually had a higher minimum wage than the federal minimum though. WA state is going to have a $9 minimum wage starting in January.

I remember babysitting for $1 a kid per hour as a teenager! Now I have to pay a minimum of $10 an hour!!!! Which is why Bear and I rarely ever get to go on dates Cry

What I didn't like is that they didn't offer a choice to walk/bike to work in the game. If you live within 5 miles of work walking/biking is really the best/cheapest option. It should only take you about an hour to walk 5 miles. An hour commute each way (for free!) is nothing to sneeze at. My husband walks about 3 miles to/from work and that means even with our huge SUV we spend about $100 a month on gas at the max.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:40:13 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »

As an add on, even if you compare 1990 $25 with today you end up with about $42 in goods. And $6 an hour in 1990 is more akin to $10 an hour now. Inflation right now is absolutely out of control.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
http://www.aier.org/research/worksheets-and-tools/cost-of-living-calculator

This isn't to say that quietmorning raising 3 kids on less than 1k a month isn't impressive. I am just pointing out that 1k even 20 years ago isn't akin to 1k today.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:30:02 PM by Quinault » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

I think I am going to print out this thread and post it on my refrigerator.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

They gave a budget based on $1224, which seems accurate (usually I paid about 15% of my pay in taxes/etc.). However, that doesn't apply to me currently, not because of my student status (which doesn't really figure in), but because I'm on SSI. I get about $700 a month from that... about $525 less than what the website gave you to work with. So yeah, I could live on $9 an hour... that'd actually have an upper-middle-class feel to me (relatively speaking) Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »

Obviously a game like this is limited. It's just a way for the ministry to plug in some statistics, get some ads in there, and get people to pay attention. Of course I have bought food from the "sale" areas, didn't own a car at all and walked where I needed to go, don't HAVE a pet in the first place, etc. etc.

With the advent of online shopping, if you have access to a laptop and good eye for sales, it can be possible to purchase things for a fraction of the money. A website was changing the design of its cosmetic packaging, and I was able to purchase $70 worth of makeup for $12. I compared the formulas of the new versus the old stuff. Still the same.

Etc. Etc.

But of course we can't expect such a simulation set up for that purpose to be THAT realistic.

--
--
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »

A Big Mac costs $20? Is it true? Or how much?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

No, a Big Mac is closer to $5 I think (I don't eat at McDonalds much). I do recall that when my husband and I were first married a Big mac was closer to $2 I think.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »

No, a Big Mac is closer to $5 I think (I don't eat at McDonalds much). I do recall that when my husband and I were first married a Big mac was closer to $2 I think.

I don't know either. I just grab a breakfast sandwich there or a drink when waiting for vespers after work sometimes. The McDonald's near my parish is quite nice and is an ad hoc homeless shelter. They totally let people hang around all day if they mind their business.

Quite the site really.

I was just making the point about of cost of living.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:55:38 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

I think a Big Mac is often more expensive overseas. But I understand the point you are trying to make. Cost of living in the US is pretty high.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »

About $6 here for just the sandwich.

I'm going to need this.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »

Yes! I have, and can.  I am a nursing tech, can do a variety of things depending on what type of facility I work in, and which side of the the state line I work on.  For the a simple CNA job, that's $9/hour, when I am working for the nursing agency it ranges from 9-16/per hour depending on the job, and type of facility. When passing meds, working as a tech, in-pt psych closer to 15/hour.  Over the course of a year, between working 2 jobs, I probably average gross at a little over 9/hour.  I live in the kc metro area.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

$2.7 here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

No way! I gotta check the 'hood tonight. They ain't moving those burgers if that is what they are charging around me.

Unless the XXL meal goes for less than $8.

quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »

I made it easily. Living on almost nothing is pretty much what I have done my entire life. Most of my time living "at home" with my parents we crashed on the floor at family/friends houses. I gave my parents 50% of my income once I started working part time at 14, then when dropped out of school at 15 I started working full time. (I earned my GED in my spare time). We would make a big pot of beans each week and pretty much eat it every night. Free school lunches helped A LOT since my parents didn't have to work out lunch for all of us most of the year. I have no ill will to my parents for requiring that we contribute. I started going door to door doing chores/yardwork starting at 8 to earn money to buy my own clothes. I know the value of what I have and will never forget it. Food is necessary, but that doesn't mean you get to eat things you like, or that you need any real variety. Clothing is great, but if you don't take care of it you won't have any. One pair of shoes is more than enough. A coat is great, but with layering you can do without. Our Christmas gifts consisted of "family" gifts like toasters, waffle irons and blow dryers. These were things that would make life easier and everyone would benefit from them. I will say that living in the NW I always liked the fact that we had a Christmas tree every year because trees are so abundant. I associate Christmas with Christmas trees more than I do with gifts.

Although I think quiet makes a great point- we do need to factor in when she was living on $25 a month for food and if she supplemented with food stamps or food banks. $25 a month now would not buy the same amount of food as it did in the 1980's. A basket of food in 1980 that cost $25 would cost $91 in 2010. That is still a great feat, but it does put things in perspective a bit. In the 90's my husband and I lived on about $1,000 a month (In Seattle, which isn't a cheap place to live) and had several hundred dollars left over each month.

The time I'm talking about was the mid to late 90's.  Smiley If it had been the 80's we would have done much better, me thinks. And if it happened now?  The same job would pay twice to three times as much as what I was making then. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:37:03 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »

This is my life. I actually DO work a warehouse job, making not much more than $9/hr. In one month, I apparently had a wedding, a funeral, got sick a couple times, had a pet also get sick, had a car accident and my child experienced an entire semester's-worth of school activity. Plus, what was mentioned above about other logical alternatives.

I'm sure these guys are doing good work, and living on that pay isn't easy...but it's only this bad if you're having an AWFUL month! C'mon.

EDIT: And, I finished the month with $78 dollars, btw.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:54:56 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »

Yeah, I finished the month with $1,000-$1500 the two times I played.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

I've only had a year and a half period in my life where I made over $9/hr. Even making lower than that I kept up with my bills, had plenty of groceries, lived within a mile or two of work (in Chicago at that) and still had money left over for video games. Right now I would love even $7/hr.

In the game what killed me was the question about the credit cards. I've never had a credit card.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:18:04 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »

I wound up with close to $1000 left over, but I am frugal.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

I wound up with close to $1000 left over, but I am frugal.

wow.

I am gonna have actually try the game.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: