OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:46:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction and a question  (Read 1632 times) Average Rating: 0
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« on: August 03, 2004, 10:37:46 AM »

Another IT professional here, though I'm afraid a lot of my knowledge may be a bit more obscure, but I'd be happy to help out with any computer problems y'all may have.

Question for the good Captain: I've a computer that has had XP installed 2.5 times on it, and hence it has 3 entries in the MBR. When booting, the user is asked to select between Windows XP, Windows XP, and Windows XP Setup. Is there a way to clear two of these entries (I'm assuming XP has a LILO-like component, even if it's not user-accessible), or must I do the old repartition - reinstall song-and-dance?

Another question that is really really really obscure but it's driving me mad (probably falls under the disclaimer for the Cap'n Robert challenge): I've a user who I recently upgraded his Notes mail file to the R6.5 template. He has soft deletes set for 48 hours, but the messages pile up in his trash folder and never clear out. As far as I can tell, all the design elements in the database updated correctly when we applied the new design. Any literature I've found online has been supremely unhelpful, as by far the most common problem with soft deletes is that deleted msgs aren't saved, but are blown away as soon as del is pressed.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:48:22 AM »

Hey!

Answer to your first question:

I just tried this out on my XP box, and it should fix your problem.

1) Right-click on "My Computer"
2) Click on "Properties"
3) Click the "advanced" tab
4) Click on the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery"
5) You are presented with 2 options here. Either you can disable that menu altogether, or you can actually edit your startup menu by clicking the "edit" button.
6) If you opt to edit the menu, you need to delete the lines under [operating system] that correspond to the old Operating Systems. If you paste it here, I can help you.

About the Notes R6.5 template issue.

ARg!! I just upgraded from Notes 5->6 templates here at work. It was a pain to say the least.

Did you replace and refresh the design on the database? I'm going to go through and look through my old stuff and see if I can find an answer to the question.

R
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 11:06:21 AM »

1. Thanks.  I'm actually surprised XP took a clue from Unix and made it an easily-editable text file; if only they would do the same with the registry.

2. Has been tried, but won't hurt to try again, I suppose (stupid Notes).
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 01:01:44 PM »

Notes is a biotch. I found that time in and time out, you just have to replace the stupid design template.

Anyway, still waiting on an answer from a Domino admin regarding your problem.

R
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 02:45:52 PM »

Hey, I *am* a Domino admin!  Tongue I do think it's probably something in the design, but was just hoping there might have been an easier fix (like a switch somewhere in the properties or something).
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 02:55:26 PM »

hahahaha my bad, sorry!

All I can say is that I hate LotusScript, and I want nothign to do with Domino server anymore, at least after doing the template upgrades LOL!

I'm going to give my pal at IBM a call and see what he says. Will let you know.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:46:35 AM »

Well, the issue may be moot, anyways. This particular user (who happens to be a big cheese executive) has had many other problems with his Notes installation since we upgraded to R6.5, and has expressed his displeasure with the program loudly and publicly. Therefore the two senior Notes admins / developers stayed late tonight and troubleshot; the upshot is that we will probably reimage his computer and put a totally fresh everything on it, as well as go over the design of all his databases with a microsieve, so hopefully this will fix the soft delete problem.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 07:56:46 AM »

Ah..

If I had a dollar for every VP who hated Lotus Notes, I'd be a rich man.

R
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: