OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:19:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you miss as a former Protestant  (Read 13028 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:59:54 PM by Alpo » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »

I would probably mention some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, perhaps...

- More reverence for Scripture (yes, Orthodox kiss the Bible... but how many read it outside a liturgical setting?)
- Better after-service meals
- More emotional and vibrant songs
- More chance of hooking up
Do you really believe we have less reverence for the Bible?

Evangelicals read their bibles more on average, that's a fact. Not entirely irreversible, though.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »

Thanksgiving.  (the American holiday)

come celebrate thanksgiving with the canadians, this monday.

Half of my family is Canadian.  Wouldn't Grandma be surprised if I showed up!  Thanksgiving celebrations are a little weird now with the Nativity fast.  The holiday is a big deal with my extended family and it just doesn't feel the same now.  While there are things I can eat the experience of sitting and sharing a meal with my family is different now.  Part of it is because my mother thinks the fasting is silly and my brother-in-law (who means no harm, but who lacks a few conventional social graces) seems to bring up the topic of me not eating turkey.  I know that I am the one with the issue here.  I just don't look forward to the holiday in the same way.

Just your jurisdiction not allow for a pardon of the fast on Thanksgiving? Either way, fasting or not, I would just eat what I was offerered.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

- More reverence for Scripture (yes, Orthodox kiss the Bible... but how many read it outside a liturgical setting?)

You? I would very much doubt it. The average pew warmer? Obviously yes.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »

Sooooooooo, thanksgiving (USA) = a no?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »

The Orthodox are quite up on reverence. I wonder if a better word might be "familiarity". Most life-long Orthodox I have met simply don't know their way around a Bible, can't name the books of the Bible, etc. Yes, they might recognize "Galatians" as being an Epistle, or "Luke" as being a Gospel - but hand them a Bible and ask them to look up a passage --- Where's the table of contents?

In our Protestant upbringing that was drilled into us. Anybody else remember "sword drills"?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »

I thought that I heard somewhere that Orthodox in the US have a dispensation for that day only?  Huh Am I making that up?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

PP
You Americans have a lot to be thankful for. It's a big yes. I guess you're just going to have to figure out how to show your thankfulness.

Turkey dinner at my place this coming Monday (Oct 10), 1 pm.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

I thought that I heard somewhere that Orthodox in the US have a dispensation for that day only?  Huh Am I making that up?

It depends on the jurisdiction and Bishop.  Some do, some don't...and then there's those who aren't even fasting yet on Thanksgiving  laugh

To the OP.

I really don't miss anything...except some of my friends.  I wish they'd  come with me, but so far no one has been interested. 

If I was very selfish I guess I would say I miss not having to think about what day it was and what I could have on the menu.

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »

Just your jurisdiction not allow for a pardon of the fast on Thanksgiving? Either way, fasting or not, I would just eat what I was offered.

Ok, I guess I don't know.  I will have to ask my priest.  Sorry for the confusion.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+sacred+harp&view=detail&mid=A215F3FCACC59021A380A215F3FCACC59021A380&first=0&FORM=LKVR10

Sacred Harp singing.

It is unaccompanied - despite the name which refers to the hymnal, not the instrument. Sacred Harp singing is also called "shape note," or "fa so la," and is a style of singing taught in singing schools in England and colonial America to help people who couldn't read music sing choral music. It is haunting and very minor key. The words are sorrowful and full of suffering but also hope in God.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:09:57 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

Just your jurisdiction not allow for a pardon of the fast on Thanksgiving? Either way, fasting or not, I would just eat what I was offered.

Ok, I guess I don't know.  I will have to ask my priest.  Sorry for the confusion.

I'm reasonably sure that Archbishop Demetrios of GOA has said that, as well as Archbishop Dmitri, of blessed memory, for the Diocese of the South, OCA.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

The Orthodox are quite up on reverence. I wonder if a better word might be "familiarity". Most life-long Orthodox I have met simply don't know their way around a Bible, can't name the books of the Bible, etc. Yes, they might recognize "Galatians" as being an Epistle, or "Luke" as being a Gospel - but hand them a Bible and ask them to look up a passage --- Where's the table of contents?

In our Protestant upbringing that was drilled into us. Anybody else remember "sword drills"?

While I do hear much of what you're saying, I would also say that I have found passages that they skip over/don't memorize. For example, I recently quoted without specifically referencing Philippians 2:12 to a friend who grew up steeped in Bible memorization (again certain parts) who never learned or forgot this passage. Looking back on my tenure a Protestant, it almost seems as though John 6 was intentionally hidden by my mentors from me.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »

PP

I know the AOCA grants a dispensation for it (i.e. no fast on Thanksgiving).
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »

I remember those drills. We have similar Orthodox Bible competitions in the U.S. Thankfully this trend is turning.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+sacred+harp&view=detail&mid=A215F3FCACC59021A380A215F3FCACC59021A380&first=0&FORM=LKVR10

Sacred Harp singing.

It is unaccompanied - despite the name which refers to the hymnal, not the instrument. Sacred Harp singing is also called "shape note," or "fa so la," and is a style of singing taught in singing schools in England and colonial America to help people who couldn't read music sing choral music. It is haunting and very minor key. The words are sorrowful and full of suffering but also hope in God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLnG7vfVOc

not bad, but i'd take Russian style chant over this anyday... Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:35:32 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

Sacred Harp singing.

It's kind of depressing that it took non-religious hipsters to keep the art form alive.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »

I miss the cupholders on the backs of the chairs and being able to sip my favorite beverage during the service.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »

i miss being able to come to church in shorts, t-shirt, and a ball-cap.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:47:17 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »

I miss the ATM like machines to pay my tithe by credit card.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

While I do hear much of what you're saying, I would also say that I have found passages that they skip over/don't memorize. For example, I recently quoted without specifically referencing Philippians 2:12 to a friend who grew up steeped in Bible memorization (again certain parts) who never learned or forgot this passage. Looking back on my tenure a Protestant, it almost seems as though John 6 was intentionally hidden by my mentors from me.
No disagreement between us on these points. Another forgotten chapter is Luke 1. I'm sure that in 50 years I never heard a sermon with the Magnificat as the text.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »

I must admit I was a bit scandalized when I heard other converts say that they did not read the Bible as much as they did before; I definitely read it more than I did when I was a floating evangelical

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »

Stop...If memory serves, I have seen those in the local GOC cathedral

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »

i miss being able to come to church in shorts, t-shirt, and a ball-cap.
I went to what I had been referred to as an early morning casual service at a medium sized UMC church in downtown Atlanta. Like you, I wore shorts and t-shirts. One day the wonderful minister very tactfully said "wow. I wish I could do that." I got the hint real fast

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

I had never heard the term "sword drills" I looked it up on line, and can say it seems a little more common in British and Commonwealth churches, though I did find an American site or two that mentioned them. Is this accurate? Anyway, I understand them to be sort of Bible flash card drill...I can appreciate it

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »

Stop...If memory serves, I have seen those in the local GOC cathedral

whao... Shocked I'm totally there!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »

I miss the cupholders on the backs of the chairs and being able to sip my favorite beverage during the service.

i miss being able to come to church in shorts, t-shirt, and a ball-cap

That'd be such a sweet place to worship God!  However... is the tithe based on net or gross? I couldn't attend a Church where the tithe was based on gross, that's just heretical.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »

I had never heard the term "sword drills" I looked it up on line, and can say it seems a little more common in British and Commonwealth churches, though I did find an American site or two that mentioned them. Is this accurate? Anyway, I understand them to be sort of Bible flash card drill...I can appreciate it
not a flash card, just a competition where someone shouts out a scripture reference and a bunch of students race to look it up. Good for remembering what book comes before what and how many chapters each book has. For a lot of fun have a former protestant driller look up OT passages in an Orthodox Study Bible.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »

i miss being able to come to church in shorts, t-shirt, and a ball-cap

That'd be such a sweet place to worship God!  However... is the tithe based on net or gross? I couldn't attend a Church where the tithe was based on gross, that's just heretical.

thankfully the reverse-ATM machine isn't able to discern that... Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:28:17 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

I don't miss too many things about my former Lutheran heritage, but one thing I really do miss are the old German Lutheran chorales, sung with such gusto and played by a very assertive organist who varies the registration a little bit with each stanza. Here's an example from the Kaiser Wilhem Memorial Church in Berlin:

http://youtu.be/tA-Do7WPaQ0
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »

The OCA hierarchs give a blessing for it every year. I can't speak for every jurisdiction.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 01:07:57 AM »

LOL no way.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »

Do you miss the doughnuts? Come back to the dark side, we have doughnuts *chuckles*

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Chief Goat

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50:23 AM »

I can't think of a single thing I miss about Episcopal liturgy.  My first Orthodox service was a Festal Vespers for the Feast of the Transfiguration, and I knew from almost the moment I set foot in the door that there was no going back to the Episcopal Church.  In fact, above and beyond the magnificent beauty of Orthodox liturgy, one of the very great joys I found was NO ORGAN and no hymns per se, both of which grate my nerves and both of which are abundant in Episcopal liturgy.  This still makes me happy every time I think about it.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »

Do you miss the doughnuts? Come back to the dark side, we have doughnuts *chuckles*

Well, we have baklava, so I advise you to come over to the dark side. Wink

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:45 AM »

and cherries dipped in chocolate and vodka

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »

Nah, galactoboureko - hands down winner. (Once after Pascha, some Greek Orthodox nuns made it for us with milk from their own cows, homemade butter and eggs from their own chickens. Talk about your religious experiences! Wink)
Besides, in our parish, every so often, we have a wonderful man who brings Krispy Kremes for coffee hour.

St. John Chrysostom
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks yummy!

We have a lot of northern transplants, so Dunkin' Donuts is our poison.  Grin

--
--
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »

Sacred Harp singing.

It's kind of depressing that it took non-religious hipsters to keep the art form alive.

I know, right? But here in the South, not so much. You can still find plenty of Primitive Baptist and Holiness churches out in the middle of nowhere, with all day singings and dinner on the grounds.

My favorite Sacred Harp hymn - "What Wondrous Love Is This?"

"What wondrous love is this, O my soul..."

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:41:51 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

St. John Chrysostom
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »

I've never heard of it -- i am googling it to see what it looks like.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »

I really don't listen to much of the music from my Protestant days, except for maybe DCTalk.

YES!!!!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »

but do you have baklava?  Kiss
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »

lol, u beat me to it, Ismi!  laugh
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »

I've never heard of it -- i am googling it to see what it looks like.

ah google does not do such a sweet and heavenly pastry justice...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:50:00 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »

One thing I definitely DON'T miss is the contemporary Christian music. Tongue

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: