OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 11:04:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you miss as a former Protestant  (Read 13049 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »

I really miss, and think it would be perfectly "OK" for Orthodox Christians to copy, the warm love and open arms of the Methodist churches of my childhood and 20s.
I also really like the Sunday evening fellowships (choir, Bible Study, etc). Our floating vespers at different churches around the city during Lent is fairly close. Wish we could do something like that throughout the year

While I hold many people of my former Methodist congregation dear to my heart, my experience has been the opposite of yours.  I marvel at the warmth and welcoming attitudes of our Greek Orthodox parish.  Truly, I have never felt so encouraged, loved and accepted.  I *think* that I posted on the thread quite awhile ago that all I struggled with was all of the new and foreign-to-me terminology.  I'm happy to report that I'm beginning to get it sorted out now!  ....thanks to my new Church family, who have been so supportive.

Thanks! and Praise Be To God!

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
crux_84

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »

When I accidently sin (especially in the form of being a jerk) being comforted with the notion of a mineral being purified by fire and the impuritys inevitably coming to the surface..I don't know that Ive directly heard/read this Biblical analogy from anyone since beginning my conversion to Orthodoxy...(It just happened - a heterodox person just tried to initiate a religious/Biblical discussion with me by asking me about my St. Xenia pin of wich he had a critical vibe and I warned him that he might not want to have this conversation with me as I might "bite his head off" but he insisted and I was quite blatant with him with an inevitable hint of anger.Now I feel guilty.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:11:35 PM by crux_84 » Logged

"The Christian punx are the society of St. John the Forerunner."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: