OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you miss as a former Protestant  (Read 13824 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »

I'm sure there is a thread like this, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I miss being able to take the Book of Revelation hyperliterally. I used to absorb myself in that book as a kid, and let my imagination run wild with its imagery.

I think I also miss the idea that there is a "Bible Code" hidden within or that it can predict things in the future.

What I don't miss is the concept of the Rapture. That idea always terrified me because you would vanish on this Earth instantly, how would that feel I wonder. I think alot of my lax in faith in my younger years was the idea that I thought the Rapture would happen in my lifetime, and since I wasn't a good Christian I could try a second chance post-Rapture (I had horrible nightmares of being executed for my faith in Christ during the post-Rapture era)

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »

This is the only one i can think of http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39870.msg645482.html#msg645482 but it's about Pentecostals, so more specific.

The book of Revelation isn't literal?!
*laughs*

I can't say what i miss about being Protestant as i still am one, just not a charismatic or Pentecostal one.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:02 AM »

Well, I must admit that I loved listening to great preachers. I also enjoyed approaching the Bible with the idea that I may discover some new and novel interpretation that everyone else had missed all these centuries. Lol! A very dangerous approach, and I thank God that He saved me from myself by leading me to the True Faith.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »

I abandoned all that Rapture and Tribulation teaching 30 years before I became Orthodox. I was 18 when "The Late, Great Planet Earth" was published - so very much in the heyday of that line of teaching. Fortunately, within a few years I had a Bible college professor who straightened me out on that!

All I have to do now is attend a Protestant worship service (their word, not mine) to remind myself that there's really very little if anything that I truly miss.

My comment on Protestant worship services is from my experience which is mostly with contemporary style non-charismatic Evangelical Protestantism - if they would bill their services as a "concert" I would probably enjoy most of them.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »

I abandoned all that Rapture and Tribulation teaching 30 years before I became Orthodox. I was 18 when "The Late, Great Planet Earth" was published - so very much in the heyday of that line of teaching. Fortunately, within a few years I had a Bible college professor who straightened me out on that!

All I have to do now is attend a Protestant worship service (their word, not mine) to remind myself that there's really very little if anything that I truly miss.

My comment on Protestant worship services is from my experience which is mostly with contemporary style non-charismatic Evangelical Protestantism - if they would bill their services as a "concert" I would probably enjoy most of them.
I "like" this whole post! Sometimes I feel like I miss something, but then I attend a Protestant service with friends and all I can do is think about the DL the entire time.

And I...don't want to say that I "miss" praising with worship music at church. But I do have some CDs that I listen to while I'm cleaning or something and I'll belt them out. But weirdly enough, this is also becoming very rare.

Nothing against the people, since I did have great friends and well meaning, selfless people to guide me in those churches. But I don't really miss anything. If anything, it's the hymns and music. And that's a MAYBE. Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »

I don't miss anything.

If I'm not allowed to bring it into Orthodoxy with me, then I'm better off without it. If I am allowed to bring it with me, then I don't miss it because I still have it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »

I "like" this whole post! Sometimes I feel like I miss something, but then I attend a Protestant service with friends and all I can do is think about the DL the entire time.

And I...don't want to say that I "miss" praising with worship music at church. But I do have some CDs that I listen to while I'm cleaning or something and I'll belt them out. But weirdly enough, this is also becoming very rare.

Nothing against the people, since I did have great friends and well meaning, selfless people to guide me in those churches. But I don't really miss anything. If anything, it's the hymns and music. And that's a MAYBE. Smiley

When I am working at home I find myself listening to AFR or just Byzantine chants that I have on my laptop; I really don't listen to much of the music from my Protestant days, except for maybe DCTalk.

One thing I do miss from one of my old churches is that every Wednesday evening right after service was a potluck, but the coffee hour with doughnuts plus the meals we have during the fasts (so many interesting fasting recipies!) and after the fasts are taking ye old potlucks place.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »

I miss the girls.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »

I miss the girls.

Not me, I grabbed me a fine girl and brought her with me  Wink

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »

Okay, duh! The fasting whenever you wanted to, and whatever you wanted to.

Fasting has its great points, but as an inveterate meat lover, I'm not going to act like I don't sulk at all on Wed/Fridays. I miss being a Catholic and being able to eat cheese, eggs, and fish! Haha.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »

I also enjoyed approaching the Bible with the idea that I may discover some new and novel interpretation that everyone else had missed all these centuries.

As an outsider I have to admit this is one of the most appealing possibilities about the protestant tendency- the ability to weave one's own crazy new visions and prophecies. I think this is exemplified with folks like Jacob Boehme, John Milton, and William Blake. But those people are very rare and protestantism generally doesn't push that potential very far. I don't understand how someone can read a book like Ezekiel or Job and come away with some simple feel-good message, but that seems to be the general tendency. Very few people of any Church seem to recognize how weird the Bible is.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »

Singing!

Don't get me wrong - I love Orthodox hymnody and I love singing it, but when I was growing up, Lutherans were called "the singing church." I miss hearing the "Lutheran Fight Song," otherwise known as "A Mighty Fortress." To hear a sizable Lutheran congregation belting that out on Reformation Sunday was something, you betcha!

Also, I miss Sacred Harp singing.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »

It's funny, I was at a Catholic mass this summer and "A Mighty Fortress" was in the hymnal.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »

Thanksgiving.  (the American holiday)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:25:24 AM by KBN1 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »

It's funny, I was at a Catholic mass this summer and "A Mighty Fortress" was in the hymnal.

I often wondered who was on that hymnal committee!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »

Thanksgiving.

Why Thanksgiving?

St. John Chrysostom
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »

I was allowed to bring that with me. It's one of those things I don't miss because I still have. My church even celebrates a liturgy that morning.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »

I don't really miss anything, but then I was with a Protestant (Presbyterian) congregation for only 3 years (Nov. 2003 - Oct. 2006), and I joined when I was already almost 46.

Love never fails.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »

Singing!

+ 1

I don't like that particular hymn but there are several other traditional Finnish Lutheran hymns I liked and still like. Of course there are occasional congregational singing also in Orthodox services but it's just not the same.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:54:03 AM by Alpo » Logged

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »

I miss doing whatever I please, not going to Church, indulging every desire, never confessing my sins to anyone, believing whatever I wanted, and yet still being able to claim that "I am saved" and "going to heaven" when I die.  Yet, when I really think about it, since I could never really believe in Protestantism, and since self-indulgence lead only to a foretaste of Hell, and since the "I'm saved" claims were just wishful thinking so I wouldn't have to feel guilty while falling headlong into the eternal abyss, I'm actually very thankful to be in the Orthodox Church where I can experience sincere and genuine hope for the salvation of my soul, where I can actually understand what repentance is and how to do it, where I finally have the means to change, to be divinized, to actually become more like God.  So, I guess I don't miss Protestantism that much after all.
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »

come celebrate thanksgiving with the canadians, this monday.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »

I miss doing whatever I please, not going to Church, indulging every desire, never confessing my sins to anyone, believing whatever I wanted, and yet still being able to claim that "I am saved" and "going to heaven" when I die.  Yet, when I really think about it, since I could never really believe in Protestantism, and since self-indulgence lead only to a foretaste of Hell, and since the "I'm saved" claims were just wishful thinking so I wouldn't have to feel guilty while falling headlong into the eternal abyss, I'm actually very thankful to be in the Orthodox Church where I can experience sincere and genuine hope for the salvation of my soul, where I can actually understand what repentance is and how to do it, where I finally have the means to change, to be divinized, to actually become more like God.  So, I guess I don't miss Protestantism that much after all.

I was a bit taken aback by your experiences of Protestantism as they are not similar to any i've heard of. Until you stated that you could never really believe in Protestantism, then it all made sense. Often those on the fringes of the church never really get to experience the true meaning of eternal security being something that God does that isn't dependent on what we do, so that we have no room to boast. That's one area where i realise there's a complete contrast is the uncertainty of salvation for an Orthodox Christian.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

I miss doing whatever I please, not going to Church, indulging every desire, never confessing my sins to anyone, believing whatever I wanted, and yet still being able to claim that "I am saved"

It doesn't seem that what you are missing is Protestantism, whatever it was.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:46:45 AM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »

I miss the girls.

Not me, I grabbed me a fine girl and ...)

...stayed a Baptist together with her.
 Wink

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »

I was allowed to bring that with me. It's one of those things I don't miss because I still have. My church even celebrates a liturgy that morning.

Exactly. That's why I asked.

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »

I thing I miss is the "fellowship time" which was just an excuse for homemade fried chicken Smiley
There is little that can beat a baptist congregation all bringing home made southern food for "fellowship".

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »

I thing I miss is the "fellowship time" which was just an excuse for homemade fried chicken Smiley
There is little that can beat a baptist congregation all bringing home made southern food for "fellowship".

PP

Have you been to an Orthodox Pascha yet?  Shocked

Most parishes (all in my limited personal experience) have some sort of fellowship time after the liturgy.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »

I was going to say, I love me some Southern cooking, but the Greeks have got it beat!

--
--
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »

I have to say people  that some of the responses are a bit harsh in their sarcasm and cynicism.
 I can remember a few things that I miss:

1) very warm receptions to new comers: my OCA church is great about that, but let's face it; many other Orthodox parishes are not

2) While I forever thank God for saving me from the pride of interpreting Scripture on my own, I accept the Protestant belief that when opening the Bible I will open to the verses I need to hear. That has certainly happened to me on more than one occasion.

3) Sunday night (or Wednesday night) fellowships, often followed by a meal or a drink for the adults

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »

PP

One of the things our parish does is have lunch after Liturgy on Sunday, which is a great fellowship time.
If we had an ethnic food festival, it would be barbecue (and for you folks of the Northern persuasion, that does not mean hot dogs and hamburgers!) or fried chicken.

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »

PP

Most parishes (all in my limited personal experience) have some sort of fellowship time after the liturgy.

Nope Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »

I would probably mention some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, perhaps...

- More reverence for Scripture (yes, Orthodox kiss the Bible... but how many read it outside a liturgical setting?)
- Better after-service meals
- More emotional and vibrant songs
- More chance of hooking up
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »

Nope Smiley

PP

Just to clarify I meant that most parishes have some sort of fellowship on a weekly basis after the liturgy.

But Pascha, at least in my church, is amazing. Everybody pretty much brings everything they weren't allowed to eat during lent and breaks the fast together. I think the only thing (at least in the US) that people in general celebrate more than the Orthodox celebrate Pascha would be the superbowl. But then again no one considers the superbowl to be worth fasting for almost two months, even though they are the only celebrations that can compare.

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »

OK, all the other good things like friendliness, love for scripture, etc can be brought with you into Orthodoxy. No one has to leave any of that at the door. None of that goes against Church teaching.

Unfortunately, I can't argue that this point in particular can just be "brought" into Orthodoxy or easily found.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »

I miss the girls.

Ya, still though if u go to one of those mega churches, its just thick on the ground everywhere u look... Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »

Singing!

Don't get me wrong - I love Orthodox hymnody and I love singing it, but when I was growing up, Lutherans were called "the singing church." I miss hearing the "Lutheran Fight Song," otherwise known as "A Mighty Fortress." To hear a sizable Lutheran congregation belting that out on Reformation Sunday was something, you betcha!

Also, I miss Sacred Harp singing.

Thats one thing I don't miss, at all! Although I do sing in the choir now...love it, love it, love it!

It would be nice to hear a harp or other divine instrument every now and then... Cheesy
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »

I was a bit taken aback by your experiences of Protestantism as they are not similar to any i've heard of. Until you stated that you could never really believe in Protestantism, then it all made sense. Often those on the fringes of the church never really get to experience the true meaning of eternal security being something that God does that isn't dependent on what we do, so that we have no room to boast. That's one area where i realise there's a complete contrast is the uncertainty of salvation for an Orthodox Christian.

When I was protestant, I found that OSAS only got in the way of my salvation. Was I saved? Did I say the prayer right and with true sincerity? These doubts constantly plagued me.
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »

Was I saved? Did I say the prayer right and with true sincerity? These doubts constantly plagued me.

Not me. I got to the point where I never went to church and I lived like a heathen, but it was OK because I had what one of my sunday school teachers called "fire insurance" (his exact words).

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »

Was I saved? Did I say the prayer right and with true sincerity? These doubts constantly plagued me.

Not me. I got to the point where I never went to church and I lived like a heathen, but it was OK because I had what one of my sunday school teachers called "fire insurance" (his exact words).

Of course I did that too. It was only when I became mindful of my salvation (which wasn't often) that I would doubt the sincerity of my "sinner's prayer" and have to say it again. Although I always felt like, "if i'm going to say it this time, I better change my ways, otherwise the prayer will have no effect", which would usually postpone me from saying it again, until I was ready to change my ways (which never came until I discovered Odoxy).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:26:12 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »

I was somewhere in the middle. I didn't sweat the heaven so part but focused on what was going on on this earth (my wealth, career). As soon as my faith started falling apart and I embraced Orthodoxy, it completely reversed. Thank God.

It's nice not to think that my illness and struggles are due to my lack of faith and the fact that I didn't pray enough (like God is counting).

--
--
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

I was somewhere in the middle. I didn't sweat the heaven so part but focused on what was going on on this earth (my wealth, career). As soon as my faith started falling apart and I embraced Orthodoxy, it completely reversed. Thank God.

It's nice not to think that my illness and struggles are due to my lack of faith and the fact that I didn't pray enough (like God is counting).

Indeed. BTW, love the Cake reference in the siggie! Cheesy Wink
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »

I would probably mention some of the stuff mentioned in this thread, perhaps...

- More reverence for Scripture (yes, Orthodox kiss the Bible... but how many read it outside a liturgical setting?)
- Better after-service meals
- More emotional and vibrant songs
Do you really believe we have less reverence for the Bible?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

I miss the girls.

Ya, still though if u go to one of those mega churches, its just thick on the ground everywhere u look... Wink

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

Indeed. BTW, love the Cake reference in the siggie! Cheesy Wink
The woman being described is today's Proverbs 31's woman. Wink

--
--
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

come celebrate thanksgiving with the canadians, this monday.

Half of my family is Canadian.  Wouldn't Grandma be surprised if I showed up!  Thanksgiving celebrations are a little weird now with the Nativity fast.  The holiday is a big deal with my extended family and it just doesn't feel the same now.  While there are things I can eat the experience of sitting and sharing a meal with my family is different now.  Part of it is because my mother thinks the fasting is silly and my brother-in-law (who means no harm, but who lacks a few conventional social graces) seems to bring up the topic of me not eating turkey.  I know that I am the one with the issue here.  I just don't look forward to the holiday in the same way.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: