OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you stop me from destroying my computer?  (Read 2686 times) Average Rating: 0
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 03, 2004, 08:41:52 AM »

Actually, it's my parents really, really, really old computer (as in bought in 1995).  Our internet provider recently went under, so we had to get a new one.  When the disk came in the mail, I installed it on my new computer and it went fine.  However, when I went to install it on their computer, it would try to read the disk, sit there thinking about it, and then the log-in screen for the old IP came up.

So, my dad went on yesterday when I was at work and deleted everything from the old IP and managed to install the new one.  But now, there's a new problem.  The log-in screen for the new one comes up now, and when we click 'connect', it says the modem is being used by another program.  We follow the troubleshooting through, uninstalling and reinstalling the modem, but nothing seems to work.  Any ideas?  I told them that the easiest course of action would be to buy a new computer, but my dad's obviously a skinflint, seeing as their computer is 9 years old.

I'm at the end of my rope with that fickle machine.  If we can't fix it before I head back to school in a month, my family won't have internet access.  And if it doesn't start working, I'm going to either beat the tower with a sledgehammer or throw it out my bedroom window.  Maybe both.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 09:41:14 AM »

1) What operating system is it using (98, 2000, XP, etc)
2) What is the ISP name?

ExOrienteLux

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 10:09:51 AM »

1.) It's running 95.
2.) The old one was ValuNet, the new one is LocalNet.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:25:20 AM »

Ok, let's give this a try.

1) Double-click on "My Computer".
2) Double-click on "Dial Up Networking" folder.
3) If my assumptions are correct, you should have some entries in there. Delete all of them..
4) Click start->settings->control panel.  Double-click on "Add/Remove Programs"
5) Look on the programs list and see if any software is listed for either your new or old ISP. If so, remove it.
6) Reboot computer
7) Reinstall new ISP software from disk.

Let meknow how it works.

R
ExOrienteLux

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 02:07:21 PM »

When I get home, I will try that.  Thanks for the help, Cap'n.

ExOrienteLux

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 06:25:49 PM »

Well, seeing as I'm on my parent's comp right now, your remedy worked.  Thanks a lot, Robert!

But now I've got some other issues with this piece of stuff machine.   First, my dad set up 'password-protection' on this thing a long time ago, but seeing as it didn't fulfill his purpose, he wants to get rid of it.  What it is is this:  When the computer turns on and 95 boots up, a window opens asking for a username and password.  What we just do is hit 'cancel' instead of 'OK' and it lets 95 finish loading the desktop.  How can I get rid of that?

And, this one just seems to happen on this site.  While the page is loading on this computer, an illegal operations box comes up saying that lupldampisy has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  What is that, what does it do, and is it my computer or the site?

Thanks again in advance,
Josh.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 08:22:12 PM »

First, my dad set up 'password-protection' on this thing a long time ago, but seeing as it didn't fulfill his purpose, he wants to get rid of it. What it is is this: When the computer turns on and 95 boots up, a window opens asking for a username and password. What we just do is hit 'cancel' instead of 'OK' and it lets 95 finish loading the desktop. How can I get rid of that?

Wee... you were right, the computer *is* that old. The first versions of Windows 95 had the convenient feature of allowing you to password-protect the system, but if you really really wanted to get in, you could just click "cancel" and it would continue on its merry way.  Roll Eyes Unfortunately, once the password prompt is set, disabling it can be a bit of a chore. From this site, I found the following instructions:

Select All users in Password:

Open Control Panel
Open the Passwords icon.
Click the User Profiles tab
Select the first option "All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings."
Reboot computer.
After the computer boots up and no password was entered reboot again to see if changes fixed the computer. If issue persists continue troubleshooting by following the next step.

Enable Windows Login:

Open Control Panel
Open the Network icon.
Under Primary Network Login ensure that Windows Login is selected. In some cases a user may need to switch this option from one setting and then back to the other in order for this to be disabled.
Once changed reboot the computer.
After the computer boots up and no password was entered reboot again to see if changes fixed the computer. If issue persists continue troubleshooting by following the next step.

Delete Stored Passwords and Profiles:

Start / Shutdown / Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode. [my note: this can be done by hitting F5 when you receive the message "Starting Windows 95" when it's booting]
Once at the prompt type cdwindows and press enter.
When at the C:WINDOWS> directory type del *.pwl and press enter and delete all files found. The pwl files are the actual encrypted password files windows stores.  
Once each of these files have been deleted type deltree profiles and press enter. Once this has been completed press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart the computer.
After the computer boots up and no password was entered reboot again to see if changes fixed the computer.
And, this one just seems to happen on this site.  While the page is loading on this computer, an illegal operations box comes up saying that lupldampisy has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  What is that, what does it do, and is it my computer or the site?

Sounds like a component on your system can't handle the coding on this site and is crapping out. Does the browser crash when this happens, or other weirdnesses happen, or does it let you continue after clicking "OK" with no noticeable effects? Also, what version of Internet Explorer are you running?
ExOrienteLux

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 09:16:48 AM »

Wee... you were right, the computer *is* that old. The first versions of Windows 95 had the convenient feature of allowing you to password-protect the system, but if you really really wanted to get in, you could just click "cancel" and it would continue on its merry way.  Roll Eyes Unfortunately, once the password prompt is set, disabling it can be a bit of a chore. From this site, I found the following instructions:...Sounds like a component on your system can't handle the coding on this site and is crapping out. Does the browser crash when this happens, or other weirdnesses happen, or does it let you continue after clicking "OK" with no noticeable effects? Also, what version of Internet Explorer are you running?

Thanks for the instructions.  When I get home, I'll try 'em.

And when I come here on that computer, it just lets me keep going after I click OK.  Of course, the box pops back up after about five minutes or so, but that's it.  And I think it's running IE 5.5, if I remember right.  I'll check when I get home.

And it looks like there's one more problem.  (jeez, fix one thing and five more things pop up.)  Though the new ISP is working fine (albeit very slowly), the accelerator that we pay about $3.00 a month for won't install on that computer.  It downloads fine, but it gives a DLL error when it tries to run InstallShield.  It says that the .DLL file WS2_32.DLL could not be found and it won't let InstallShield start.  We seem to suspect that it may be because our processor isn't fast enough, but could it be anything else?

Boy, it looks like I'm going to be the unofficial OC.net Obscure Computer Problems Guy.

Thanks,
Josh.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 09:58:50 AM »

Oh boy.

Well, I'd recommend you scrap Internet Explorer and install a browser like
Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox).

Firefox does a terrific job of rendering most web pages, except for a few. However, by using Firefox for the majority of your web work, and IE only when sparingly needed, you should save yourself some headaches, spyware, and error messages.

As far as this "accelerator" goes, what is it exactly supposed to do, and I can't believe they charge you $3.00 for it Smiley I am sure we can find a free version somewhere.

WS2_32.DLL is for your winsock stuff,  and some tcp/ip stack libraries.  If it is giving you an error, it probably means your winsock is out of date for the accelerator.

Fortunately, I have an answer!!

Windows 95 came shipped with Winsock version 1 back in the day.  A few years after its release along with the subsequent release of WIndows 98, Microsoft upgraded the Windows 95 winsock libraries to version 2.

This accelerator program is looking for Winsock 2, but you only have Winsock 1 installed.

This was a very common problem on Windows 95.  

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp

Go there and download the upgrade, run it, and tell me in 10 minutes about how it worked Smiley

R

ExOrienteLux

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 10:23:01 AM »

Yes, I prefer Mozilla myself, and I have Firebird on my own PC.  Is Firefox better or not?

Anyway,  I can't do any of this stuff until I get home from work, which won't be for another seven hours (at least), so it'll either be later tonight or tomorrow when you'll know if it worked or not.

The accelerator is supposed to help websites load faster, which, when all you have is dial-up, is a great blessing.  It actually works rather well on my computer.  Sometimes I even forget I'm using dial-up.  But, then the next page takes three minutes to load a site like this one, and it reminds me.

Counting the days until he has a T1 line again,
Josh.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 10:32:48 AM »

Firebird was the old incarnation of the now present Firefox

So, if your browser still is reading firebird, I'd upgrade. Latest version is .91 I believe with a 1.0 release targetted for september.

R
ExOrienteLux

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 08:28:44 PM »

Well, the password protection is gone, the accelerator installed and is working, I fixed that one .DLL file, but there's one more minor problem with this thing (apart from the general problems that come from it's being a dinosaur):  When Windows loads up, an error message box comes up saying that another .DLL file, IPHLPAPI.DLL, couldn't be found and run.  What does that file do, is it necessary, and if so, where can I get it?  The computer runs fine if I just click OK, so it's not too urgent of a problem.  Just kinda annoying.

Thanks for all the help,
Josh.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »

A quick search on Google reveals that it is the IP Help API, though I don't know what program would be using it (possibly your new internet software). Since it's a Help API, it probably shouldn't be too terribly critical (although apparently some programs won't run without it). You can download (at your own risk; I make no guarantees about the integrity of this file) it here. If you do download it, just unzip the file and copy it to the c:windowssystem directory and whatever program is looking for it should be happy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: